Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

The system has the ability of adding / removing weight to the car in the desired position, so you can simulate the weight of the driver adding a new rigidbody at the driver seat position and using an FixedJoint so the rigidbody remains in place. However, you would have to do manually the animation that shows how the player enter / exit from the car.

2. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

@Rafes

AMEN, Brother!!!

Thanks for posting this, VERY GOOD!

George

3. newlife

newlife

Rafes,
    You can't be more right. Thank you for the link, I learned most of the points to my cost (this is my first package on the Asset Store). Im not sure about sample files, cause they are useful for my customer in order to test and understand my package easily
    With UnityCar 1.2 (to be released soon) all the points will be respected.

4. Rafes

Rafes

You can make a free website using Google sites and just post a download link there along with docs for your asset. (Until Unity provides a place for online docs (they probably won't) I wish they would require a website.) That is exactly what we did for PoolManager (site link in my signature below). The only difference is we have a GoogleApps account for the company (also free for 10 or less employees I believe) which comes with a "private" version on Google Sites, and GMail and GoogleDocs. We actually have two sites, one is only for docs, but it is hard to tell since the design is the same and they link back and forth.

Anyway, it is probably OK to include them in the Asset Store package as long as you make sure they have a single parent folder for easy delete. I just prefer to make a separate "sandbox" project to learn plugins and then implement the cleanest minimal version in to our actual game project (we keep a testing area in the project as well, for smaller stuff - scenes, scripts, prefabs which are not game assets but are used for R&D). Organization is king.

5. newlife

newlife

no this feature it isn't included. Anyhow, I know that one of my customer did implement this feature using a trigger collider

6. newlife

newlife

Hi Rafes,
    I already have my own website where customers can download UnityCar and read the wiki documentation.
    For what concern the samples you are right, they must be clearly deletable. In UnityCar 1.2 all samples (cars, scenes) are in a separate folder called "Samples".

7. newlife

newlife

Hi george, can you tell me what you need to be more clear?

8. onllm

onllm

does it work on mobile device???

9. newlife

newlife

yes it works,
    in the upcoming UnityCar 1.2 there will be a parameter called "TargetPlatform" with 2 values: "PC and MAC" and "Mobile".
    Choosing mobile you can expect to obtain 30fps on an Iphone 3GS.

Anyway, you can obtain the same results with UnityCar 1.1 with very simple code modifications.
    The most important modification is the removing of the OnGUI calls from all UnityCar scripts, cause it seems that GUI.Repaint takes a lot of CPU time (http://www.mindthecube.com/blog/2010/09/avoiding-performance-cost-of-ongui).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Can't wait for 1.2! I've been pretty happy with the 1.1 setup so far.

11. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Hi Michele, the other day we tried to implement your BrakeLights.cs script to our car, but we were unsuccessful. We tried to get more info on how to make your script work with our model's brake lights, but the info on your wiki was extremely minimal. Any clarification on how to correctly go about this would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

George

BTW, we are VERY happy with the results achieved to our vehicles after making tweaks! Now if we could integrate your physics with AI...it would be perfect!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  12. onllm

onllm

anynews on when will the 1.2 version be released?

13. newlife

newlife

Hi onllm,
    im working on UnityCar 1.2 in these days. The release as been delayed by some little problems with the abstract controller, which will enable users to use or customize the various controllers (included like keyboard controller, mouse controller, mobile controller or user created) with ease.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

In addition, the new AbstractController class will allow developers to build an AI for UnityCar more easily than before (;)) and maybe it could be used for network games too (I haven't tried network stuff yet, but in theory it should be possible).

By the way, I haven't seen you on Skype for a few days... any update in the status of the optimizations for mobiles? If you need some help with the AbstractController stuff or some testing of the new optimizations on real mobile devices, let me know when you are online and we'll talk about it.

PS: it seems that my current AI is very fast (it's very difficult to drive as fast as the AI) in fast tracks with large straights and lots of fast turns, but it's terribly slow (10-15 seconds per lap slower than me) in slow tracks with short straights, chicanes and 180-degrees turns... so it seems that I will have to come back to the "design table" and try a different approach that work reasonably fine in every kind of track.

15. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Looking forward to 1.2 release! Sounds like a great upgrade; will the OnGUI changes affect web version as well concerning fps performance?

Thanks again!

(Sorry I missed you on Skype...the time difference thing.)

16. newlife

newlife

sorry for my absence in skype, in these days i concentrated on the last things regarding UnityCar 1.2. Optimization for mobile is done, I also added a new feature in the tire simulation: now the tire is a full dynamic spring and damper system, and it even deforms itself under heavy load (there are two radius: free radius and loaded radius, deformation is the difference between free radius and loaded radius).

Good. keep on working on it, there is a lot of request for a good AI, i personally received several requests for an AI for UnityCar.

17. newlife

newlife

No, it seems that it affects only mobile performance.

18. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

That's really awesome, I'm sure I can make good use of that feature... but don't forget to implement slipstreaming: it's almost impossible to overtake in my oval track without slipstreaming because all cars have (almost) the same speed :D

I'm sure my current AI (if I implemented the collision-recovering code) would be good enough for many projects, but I'm still not satisfied with its performance in slow tracks and I don't want to release a product which isn't good enough for me. Now I'm doing some research in the machine learning field... it was always in my plans for the 2.x branch, but it seems I will have to implement it sooner than expected.

I don't know if NewLife has implemented other optimizations, but this simple GUI optimization made me gain around 8-10fps in my mobile test project. However, you have to take into account that a computer is much more powerful than a mobile, so (although I haven't tested myself) I wouldn't expect a fps gain above 1-2 fps in standalone or web-builds.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. loki72

loki72

purchased this the other day.. must say well worth it.

if possible can you add the code to pick a steering wheel model in one of your updates? - sorry if was already asked.

20. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

NewLife,

I need to adjust the CarCameras.cs script. I would like to only have certain views and make one of the views default...I checked the wiki, but didn't find any info on this. Can you give direction on how to do this?

Thanks!
    George

21. loki72

loki72

is this project still active?

22. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

@loki72

Just skyped with NewLife yesterday...and, yes, he's actively working on 1.2 update. And just to give him some earned praise, he has been great when support is needed! Very helpful and attentive!

I wish all the package authors were this way...

23. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Quick question are you using wheel Colliders or Raycast physics for your vehicles?

24. loki72

loki72

@g2mediagroup

thanks.. was hoping it was still active. the thread had went quiet right after i bought the package. just checking :)

25. newlife

newlife

yes Im here.
    Im working on the 1.2 version. Im searching for a good way to implement tire deformation graphically (now is implemented as a simple Y and Z scaling). I would like to obtain something like in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLimmuUHM00

If someone has some idea, please contact me.

26. newlife

newlife

Im not using wheelcollider component for my project, is not flexible enough (you cant implement 3d tire or deformable tire, plus spring and damper forces dont use standard measure unit).
    Im using raycast and spherecast.

27. screenracer

screenracer

Looking over the demo I noticed that cars will damage differently. Why is this?

I attached 2 images, the yellow car is showing the car body starting to fragment per triangle after it takes some damage. The other image is of the red car after taking some damage. It shows that the body is smooth, and not fragmenting at all.

It seemed that the yellow car was smooth, until it's first contact. Once that happened the entire body lost all smoothing info. I would need our cars to import and damage without looking fragmented. Is this a setting that is adjusted in the properties, or is it some import setting?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  28. newlife

newlife

Hi screenracer,
    the segmentation you can see on the yellow car is due to model simplification (I simplified the model for reducing the web demo dimension). If you look closely, you can notice segmentation on the yellow car also without damages. Im not very good in 3D modeling, so this is my fault :)

29. psYch0

psYch0

Hi NewLife,

I tried contacting you for 3 times now, 2 times mail and 1 time pm!

Could you please send me a money request of 97euro to info ([at]) jsdev.be so I can get your script?

Kind regards
    Jos

30. newlife

newlife

Hi Jos, sorry for the delay, strict deadline on another project.
    Let me know what you think about the package.

31. azeitler

azeitler

Hi NewLife,

I am still having major problems with the package. Once I did all the changes we talked about in mail and on skype to adjust for my world scale being non-standard, I lost driving stability and maneuverability completely. Is there an update coming which adresses the issues I am having?

Best,
    Andreas

32. newlife

newlife

Hi Andreas, I cant help you here. You have to explain me better your problem.
    Anyway I thought that you where ok with your project after my help. Contact me on skype in order to receive support.

regards,
    Michele

33. newlife

newlife

Hi all,
    finally UnityCar 1.2 is ready. This is an important update with some fixed and a lot of updates.

Updates:
    • all unused vars has been deleted in order to make the package warning free;
    • added abstract controller: now you can add any kind of script controller without having to modify the main (abstract) class. Included controller are: axis controller (for keyboard and wheel/joystick), mouse controller, mobile (iphone and android touchscreen and accelerometer) controller;
    • axis controller now is compatible with multi-axis driving wheel like Logitech G25 or G27;
    • some further code optimizations;
    • all the package code has been moved inside a folder called UnityCar in order to avoid messing with your project during import (thanks to azeitler for the suggetion);
    • added new feature: physic material simulation. Now you can have different vehicle behaviour (grip, rolling friction, static friction, dynamic friction) on different material. Included physic material: track, grass, sand, off road. You can add unlimited type of material;
    • added new class: physicmaterials. In this class you can put the materials you use in your terrain, with relative physical parameters (which are different from material one). These parameters are: grip, rolling friction, static friction, dynamic friction.
    • improved arcade mode;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: targetPlatform. With this parameter you can choose two different level of simulation accuracy: optimized for mobile devices and optimized for best simulation accuracy;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: controller. Used to change the controller used to control this vehicle. Possible values are: Axis (keyboard and wheel/joystick), Mouse, Mobile (iphone and android touchscreen and accelerometer), None;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: frontRearBrakeBalance. Used to change the brake balance between front and rear;
    • setup parmeter in cardynamics class is now a combo box;
    • tires parmeter in cardynamics class is now a combo box;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics class: air density;
    • added a new parameter in cardynamics: disableAllGUI (used to to toggle all GUIs and all keys input in one time);
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: enableKeys. Used to enable / disable non control related keys like toggle ABS, toggle TCS, change transmission etc.
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: smoothInput. Used to toggle input values smoothing (used for digital input like keyboard, but unuseful for analog input like steering wheels).
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: TCSMinVelocity. Used to set minimum velocity at which TCS is triggered.
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: ABSMinVelocity. Used to set minimum velocity at which ABS is triggered.
    • added a new parameter in carcontroller: ESPMinVelocity. Used to set minimum velocity at which ESP is triggered.
    • improved TCS behaviour: now car doesn't slow down in curves with TCS on (thanks to grfxman for the suggestion);
    • improved ABS behaviour: now if one wheel is locked, ABS doesn't cut brakes on all other wheels.
    • added three new parameters in soundcontroller class: rollingNoiseGrass, rollingNoiseSand, rollingnoiseOffRoad. Used to reproduce the rolling noise on different surface (grass, sand, off road);
    • some updates and corrections in the wiki documentation (http://www.unitypackages.net/unitycar/wiki)
    • improved automatic transmission: if speed < 10 km/h shifts directly to the first gear;
    • improved clutch: starts are smoother now;
    • improved 3D tire: now the tire is simulated as a full spring and damper system with optional tire deformation;
    • added a new parameter in wheel class: rimRadius. This is the radius of the wheel without the tire. Used in tire deformation in order to avoid to deform the tire more than physical possible;
    • new domain and new website: http://www.unitypackages.net/unitycar
    • fully compatible with Pro Racing AI package.

• added a new scene: Monza track, a full featured monza track build with GPS data. Thanks to Sipon for this;
    • added a new scene: Rally Sweden, a simple rally terrain;

Fixes:
    • fixed the error of cardamage script that cause sporadic weird car damages;
    • fixed subtle sliding of the car on a ascent with brakes on;

I have also updated UnityCar website and buyed a new, more coherent domain (http://www.unitypackages.net/unitycar):

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  34. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Just bombed you with an email :D

35. newlife

newlife

UnityCar 1.2 TechDemo - Part 1

36. crockett

crockett

It's been a while since I checked your progression and it seems you've come a long way. Nice to see you have added controller support, it would be pretty sweet if you got a hold of a trackIR set up and got that working as well. (would be a pretty awesome system with full controller support trackIR)

aside from that, how hard is it to drop in your own tracks? Say I create a new track and just want to use one of the cars you have set up for some testing what all is involved?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  37. sipon

sipon

track integration is easy as just import, and check generate collider in the inspector !

38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Is there a new scene included for mobile (ios)?

39. newlife

newlife

it can be a nice add on... im going to think about it

As sipon wrote, import a track is a very easy process (is like importing any other Asset in Unity).

40. newlife

newlife

Any scene apart Car Tutorial Track (uses a terrain which is not compatible with mobile platform) is compatible with mobile platform.

41. ikke

ikke

It would be very helpfull if there was a simple demo project for IOS (simple car, maybe even made out of primitives, and a plane as 'track'), I can't get the controller to work on IOS. Also I can't find documentation on the buttons (throttle, brake etc, or how to implement them, so it would be nice to see this in a simple IOS demo project.

For the rest UnityCar 1.2 is great, I love it.

42. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

Very impressive, NewLife - I'll most probably purchase your package in the near future, instead of CarX ;-)

-I couldn't see any tire deformation in 1.2 - is that feature postponed for a later release?

-The tire type selection buttons (race, sport, standard) don't fit into the player window... I can only see "race".

-The grass could be more slippery - less friction, in my opinion.

Looking forward to see further development, all the very best,

Soul

43. namoricoo

namoricoo

Brother NewLife I'm thinking about buying your product so that I can play around with it, the same way I play with Edy's physics. I notices that your physics is strong. However, the audio is weak. Can you explain to me how I will be able to turn off your Audio so that I can use my own Audio. Here are two videos I made on how I manage Audio. This is also the same Logic I use for Speedometer. I just toggle and index to get the correct speedometer. How will I be able to turn off your speedometer so that I can use my own. Some of the Games I'm working on will use Edy's physics. Some other will use your physics.

Video 1

Video 2

44. newlife

newlife

Hi iKKe,
    in these days i have been very busy with AssetStore problems and bugs (at the moment Unitycar 1.2, after more than 1 week after release, is not yet on the Asset Store. It seems that both the tool (very buggy) and people behind package acceptance are not working in the right way).
    So i couldn't find time to update all wiki documentation.
    For what concern the simple demo project for IOS you are right, i think that i can add it.

PS: which problem are you facing with mobile controller?

45. newlife

newlife

tire deformation is present, you can see it clearly on monster truck tires. On other cars tire deformation is turned off since is not almost unnoticeable.

you are right, i moved them up. Updating demos right now.

for what concern grip and rolling friction for different surfaces, i used these values:
    http://hpwizard.com/tire-friction-coefficient.html
    btw values for different surface are easily modifiable in the inspector.

Im very honored by the fact that you compared my UnityCar to Carx :)

46. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm still waiting for an Answer to my questions???? When I talked about sound being week I was not talking about your locomotion audio. It's excellent. I was only talking about backgroundAudio. Your demos don't have a background Audio. I also have nothing against your speedometer. I use a speedometer I wrote with UIToolkit that uses only 2 draw calls. So I have nothing against yours speedometer. You've done a lot of hard work in version 1.2 that show a lot of intelligence that's why I want to add your physics to my set of tools.

1)So I will ask my question one last time. How easy will it be for me to turn off your speedometer so that I can use my own.
    2)How easy will it be to turn off your collision Audio because they all sound the same. So that I can use my own collision system that you see in the Video.

Keep up the good work. I hope to hear from you soon.

47. reissgrant

reissgrant

The videos are very impressive. Nice work!

48. newlife

newlife

namoricoo is very straight forward to turn off audio and speedometer controller. just remove (or disable) souncontroller.cs and dashboard.cs from inspector.

49. namoricoo

namoricoo

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a copy soon. One last thing. You say we just go to physics and click UnityCar to setup everything. Will the weel colliders automatically go to the correct place or do we still have to do this manually. Can you make a quick video with an blank car, just dragged in with no special effect. You get it working with your one click solution. Does your solution also have collider mesh and collider. All things I have doubts about.

50. Thierry81

Thierry81

Hello, I just take the update 1.2.
    Many progret, thank you.
    Force feedback can result in the programe for the future?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.