Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle sim on Unity3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by newlife, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goolygot

Goolygot

When I drove my car over the map and in the ocean, the minimap went lower and only showed the sky. And somehow when I drove in a wall the back left part was stretched out. And looks very weird. And it should go in not out.
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1636/showzm.jpg

2. newlife

newlife

interesting.. contact me on info@migliortestesso.com

did you try to decrease maxpower and increase final drive ratio (in order to make gears shorter)?
    If you still experience problems, contact me on skype: michele.dilena

3. newlife

newlife

Hi Goolygot,
    can you explain me what did you do to make the error in the minimap occur? I didnt succeed :)
    for what concern the error in the damage, its a known problem. probably is due to some non perfectly closed collider, but im not sure.
    For this reason im going to move to soft body for what concern damage simulation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. Goolygot

Goolygot

Well I did now try again. But I tryed it with the pickup first, then it didn't happen. As it seems it only works with the monster truck.

5. InterstellarGames

InterstellarGames

Can I build this to mobile out of the box and will it work on iOS if I change the inputs? Thanks

6. newlife

newlife

hi InterstellarGames,
    yes it works in IOS. All you have to do is to change the inputs.
    One of my customer tested it on IOS.

7. johnny54

johnny54

hello, i have just one question, after read the 3 pages of this forum and your site info, i couldn't find answer to my only question:

does this provide AI on the vehicles? (if not, is planed to do so?)

thanks.

8. newlife

newlife

Hi johnny,
    currently UnityCar doesn't provide AI.
    Im working on this and it will be added on the next update.

9. johnny54

johnny54

okies thanks for the info, soon you be able do it, then it sure will be very nice asset

10. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

NewLife,

I'm going to purchase your package...I had a question in regards to using my models---what is absolutely necessary to import (I don't need the prefab scene, etc...) to save on unnecessary assets in the project? Please advise as I'm anxious to get this implemented! :D

Also, I noted your response on developing AI, but not ready yet...could AI Driver Toolkit 2.0 be implemented at this time with your package?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  11. newlife

newlife

Hello g2mediagroup,
    these are the only classes you must import in your project in order to make UnityCar work:
    - Drivetrain
    - Car Dynamics
    - Car Controller
    - Wheel
    - Wheels

Since this is a common question, I put the reply on UnityCar wiki page, too:
    http://migliortestesso.com/unitycar/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Required_Classes

You may also need to check the tutorial on how to create a car using an existing model:
    http://migliortestesso.com/unitycar..._a_car#Creating_a_car_using_an_existing_model

12. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

FYI- I don't think you are permitted, by the Asset Store contract, to sell your asset anywhere else for less than the price you have it listed for on the Asset Store.

13. newlife

newlife

14. andymads

andymads

Ok, so we've just downloaded Unity Car from the Asset Store. This is first time we've bought anything from the store - we've only just started our project.

My initial thoughts:

• My boss did the purchase, and we had to find the package on his PC so I could get it.
    • Surprised how big the package is (over 100Mb) - this was without knowing what was in it.
    • After importing into Unity on my Mac I don't like the fact that there's no root folder - this would keep it tidy!
    • There are a couple of empty folders, e.g. Materials.
    • There are a whole load of warnings after import - I like to keep a warning free zone in my projects.
    • After carrying out the first step in the car create tutorial I get 8 errors related to layers.

This is as far as I've got, just wanted to make these comments before proceeding. IMO some of these things do make it look poor as a product - perhaps they will be addressed for the next release?

15. andymads

andymads

I'm confused.

From tutorial. "Now you just need to add your graphics in the Body and Wheels GameObjects:"

But how?

So I select Body under GameObject and then browse to set the Mesh, but I'm just presented with a massive list of all mesh asset thumbnails, many of which are just appear to be the same car (with wheels) repeated over and over. And there are many duplicated names, e.g. I can see 8 "Mesh1" thumbnails and they are all different looking cars.

EDIT:

So I picked the "Car" mesh as that is what in the screenshot but it has no materials attached to the Mesh Renderer.

16. newlife

newlife

Hi andym,

the package is big cause it contains everything (demo scenes, cars, scenes scripts etc). In this way you can test and modify directly the cars you played in the demo. If you just want to add UnityCar functionalities to your project you just need to copy the content of "UnityCarScript" folder (you can find it under Scripts folder) in your Script folder.

for what concern the root folder you are right. It has been fixed. Sorry for that but this is my first package on the Asset Store, i wasn't aware about this problem.

you are right. Fixed.

warning are due only to unused variables (not error). As I just wrote before, UnityCar is a complex project, and i left some unused (and harmless) code on purpose, cause someone could find it useful (for example and old version of the function used to calculate the torque of the engine).
    Anyway, if you want I can send you a warning free version of the package.

layers problem is a known problem due to the fact that Unity doesn't permit you to create a layer runtime.
    To fix this, you just need to add a layers named "Wheel".
    This is cause Im using a layermask on the car's gameobject layer and a layer called Wheel, so the castings will ignore colliders with with layer "Wheel" and with layer the layer of the car's gameobject.
    I added this info to the tutorial on how to create a car using an existing model.

Im always working to improve my products, as you can see.
    Btw, if you need support, you can contact me via email (info@migliortestesso.com) or skype (michele.dilena).

17. andymads

andymads

Why not just comment this code out and add some info describing what it is? The problem I have with lots of warnings is that if they are tolerated then sooner or later newer important warnings are missed.

Yes please, how will you send this?

Sorry it was 4 errors, not 8. But they appear when doing the very first tutorial step "Creating a car from scratch".

Perhaps you need an "Intro" section on the Wiki that gives a brief introduction and known issues.

Yes, I can see :)

18. andymads

andymads

On loading and running the City scene there are console messages for a Unity Exception relating to the ShiftUp button not being setup.

And, on loading and running the Track scene there are a load of Mesh related errors.

19. newlife

newlife

did you you import correctly the package?
    contact me via email (info@migliortestesso.com) or skype (michele.dilena) to receive support

20. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Hello,

I had exact the same problems.

shiftup and shiftdown needs to be created into the Input manager tab.
    All custom layers have to be recreated.
    A new car has to be into a Layer called: CarX. Otherwise the wheel setup is not working.

These setup errors can be easy to fix with some documentation (screenshots) on the wiki.

Peter.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  21. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I wasn't saying that its exclusive. I was saying that I don't think you can sell it at different prices. You may want to contact the asset store to make sure. Could have sworn I read that in the provider contract months ago, but I can't find it now. Perhaps they changed it.

22. newlife

newlife

hello Peter,
    the shiftup and shiftdown problem is due to the fact that when you import a package, unity doesnt update the Input settings nor Layers settings. So when you import UnityCar package into your project, you have to manually add this settings.
    Im sorry for any inconvenience, I didnt realize this problem till one of my customer told me about this problem.
    For what concern the fix, you can set your car to any layer (expert of course IgnoreRayCast) in order to make it work.
    For what concern the documentation, I added a section (troubleshooting) about this just fews days ago:

http://migliortestesso.com/unitycar/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting

23. andymads

andymads

I think that the tutorials are incomplete. IMO they should allow you to follow them and have a working car at the end.

24. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Hello again, Michele:

I've since purchased UnityCar package, had same conclusions as @andym, but he beat me to the punch of stating them. Maybe it's just me or that I come from the design side of thinking (Mac user to boot!--"It just works"...), but it seems to me---and this is a broad statement across the board, that most of the packages I've looked at are working for the publisher, but not very clear for the purchaser (me). It would be really nice (again, not a coder by trade) to have folders labeled with ALL assets needed for that portion ONLY (Scripts, Models, Sounds, etc). And better yet, "Complete Example", "Car Assets", "HUD Assets", "Track Assets", "Environment Assets", "BYOM Car" (Bring Your Own Models), "BYOM Track"...so on and so forth....

Idk about others, but when I purchase a package, I'm going to use OUR assets (the models, textures), not the supplied ones---what would be the point?

I was looking to purchase a physics package for vehicles, yours looked good on the demo webplayer you have online. Really good! Just a little more organizational polish, and you would set the standard for packaging! Charge more if needed, it would be WORTH it! Keep up the good work! I still wondered about AI Tool Kit [correction---AI Driver Toolkit], can it be used with UnityCar? I need AI for NPC vehicles...

Thanks!

George

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  25. newlife

newlife

Andy probably you are right. Im always working to improve the documentation.
    Can you tell me where the tutorials are incomplete?

26. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

I receive these dialog boxes when trying to drag the scripts on car's GameObject as per tutorial on "how to create a car using an existing model":

Am I missing something here...?

27. newlife

newlife

George the problem here is probably due to the fact that my UnityCar package is not born to be a package to be imported, but a complete proejct. My aim was to make two different packages, one with the scenes, the demo cars etc. (the complete project) and another one with only what is needed to use UnityCar functionalities, so you can import this package in your project flawless.
    The problem is that the process of publishing something on the Asset Store is not a straightforward process (its very slow and prone to errors; right now im trying (since Friday) to publish the 1.2 version of the package with several much asked updates like package moved inside a folder called UnityCar in order to avoid messing with your project during import, warning free code, mouse controller, etc but i cant complete the process cause it gives me some strange null reference errors), moreover its not possible to include two different packages in the same product.

Do you prefer this way or do you prefer to obtain two different packages like stated before?

Do you think that is difficult to use your own asset even following the tutorials?

thank you very much George :)
    Im trying to make UnityCar as user friendly as possible, and im always woriking on this. For what concern the AI, during these days im looking for some simple waypoint AI. For what concern AI Tool Kit, i tried the demo but it didnt convince me, but i should test it on my physic to give a precise evaluation.

28. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

If you are talking about "AI Driver Toolkit" ( http://u3d.as/content/seifert-engineering/ai-driver-toolkit/1Dv ), it won't work because the vehicle physics is tightly coupled with the AI code. In other words: you can't separate the AI code and using it with another vehicle simulation.

I have tried "Ti Racing AI" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbgP5cOfB0 ), but you can't use it with UnityCar out of the box. After a few changes in UnityCar code (which I submitted to NewLife) and a major code rewrite for "Ti Racing AI" (my code continued using the same philosophy, but I had to modify almost all their code to make it work with UnityCar) I had a very fast AI while driving alone (but it wasn't so good avoiding collisions with other vehicles).

After that, I read some articles about racing AI and learned how to improve my existing code to fix the major pitfalls my current AI have... When I finish my implementation, I'm planning to sell my code in Unity Asset Store, but I don't know yet when it will be finished. I'll redo all the code from scratch to be safe and avoid any possible intellectual property issue with "Ti Racing AI" creators (of course both products will share some common ideas, but my code will be completely developed from scratch and it will be optimized to being used with UnityCar, so they won't be competing products).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  29. namoricoo

namoricoo

Brother davidgutierrezpalma, that's the way it should be. Developers should spend time cooperating, making money together, instead of wasting time re-inventing the wheels. You should also look into making it Generic enough so that it also works with Edy's physics. Just a thought.

30. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Yes, that's the idea... but as I'm collaborating a little with NewLife to improve UnityCar (and make it fit better my needs ;)) I would develop my AI System first for UnityCar and I would probably extend it later to also cover Edy's Physics and Unity's vehicle tutorial. But in any case, UnityCar version will come sooner because it's the vehicle physics engine that I'm using for my own project.

31. namoricoo

namoricoo

ScienceFictionado, makes a good pont. the Asset store has a non-exclusive right of sale. You can sell your product there, on you own website, and other websites like ActiveDen.net, and gamprefabs.com. It a matter of how much trust. Me personally I don't trust those other websites so I only sell my code in the Asset store. so if somebody tried to violate my copyright, I know exactly where they got my code from. However, my best product won't make it online.

32. namoricoo

namoricoo

This post is for you and Newlife. It takes a special way of thinking in order to make things generic. The next line is mostly for Newlife. I'm sharing this video on your post in order to show a sample of what users want to see in a tutorial. This was a beta video. My collision system is Generic enough to work with cars,people, Aircraft, motocycles, etc. I spent a week working on it after I noticed Edy took almost 2 months with no results. In All unity tutorials, you only get one background music. I wrote my Background music system to be so generic that you can load the background music for all levels in one place, use the magic of UniDDatabase, only get a range on songs for each level. It's so generic, It will work on for all users. Just attach the script to the camera, load the ddatabase, specify the row numbers, there's a checkbox to loop all of the songs or just one song. So if I have 10 songs in the level, I can play all 10 songs and I write Zero lines of code. The only code that used an external file was the noise for the sidemarks. I added 7 lines of code to the Skidmark from the Unity tutorial and Edy's physics. Now it's generic. The video was a beta, a final video should be out soon.

So in conclusion brother davidgutierrezpalma, send me a PM when your product is in the Asset Store and I'll check it out to see if I can use it in one of my product. New life, I hope my tutorial inspires you to make tutorials that show people a simple way to setup your product. Thank you and have a nice day.

33. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Well, my AI system will work with any vehicle physics engine that, instead of applying forces directly to the car when the user press a key, it offers a "CarController" class / interface that allows me to control the car behaviour setting the value the following public properties: throttleInput, brakeInput, steeringInput, handbrakeInput and targetGear.

If the vehicle engine doesn't allow me controlling the car behaviour setting those parameters, my AI system won't work out of the box... Of course it could be possible to develop a custom "CarController" implementation for each vehicle physics engine available for Unity, but I wouldn't start working in those custom implementations until I've finished the UnityCar version.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  34. namoricoo

namoricoo

Sounds good. I'm making a racing game at the moment so that's why I adapted my uniDDatabase product to handle all of the sound effects. I try to teach my system at least one new trick per week. Some weeks I pull it off. Some weeks I don't. Since I release 2.4 on Friday. I have adapted my script to allow th user to create New rows of of data, create new columns of data, now I'm almost finish with create a new ddatabase while inside the game.This feature should be handy for a checkpoint system I'm considering down the line. So keep up the good work. Try to stay original. Nobody likes lawsuits. Send me a PM with the release date and demo information.
    Thank you and have a nice day.

35. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Well, it will take a while because I'm very busy with my day job... but I'll send you a PM when it's ready.

36. newlife

newlife

hi,
    which script did you try to add to your game object? any of them?

37. andymads

andymads

Well you could move the first part of the troubleshooting section into the tutorial, and tidy it up - it looks like you have just added some stuff onto the end as an afterthought.

Basically, try working through the tutorial from scratch only doing what it says - and see if you have a working car at the end. Perhaps you are assuming that people know more than they do, and they can easily fill in the gaps themselves.

38. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

David,
    That sounds great! If you need to beta, I'm REEALLLY interested to try out...And I'll pay for the package to boot ;)

Please keep us informed as our project needs this functionality asap...

George

39. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

@andym

Precisely!

40. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

What I imported was the UnityCarScript folder...then tried dragging the ones listed to car Game Object (again, as per tutorial) and that's the dialogs that popped up. Hope this helps.

41. newlife

newlife

Hi George,
    I tried to reproduce the error creating a new project and following the tutorial but on my computer it works.
    I need to see whats happening on your computer. Can you add me on skype and share your screen?

42. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Sure, can you pm me the details and let me know time frame for you...

Thanks!

43. newlife

newlife

hi george,
    now (and for the next two weeks) im staying in turkey, so my time is GMT+2. Im available at about 21 local time.

44. Rastafari

Rastafari

To pricy for me :/.
    Ill keep working with the CarTutorial.

45. ognjenm

ognjenm

$UnityCarGlassProblem.jpg

I have glass problem with my car , look at attachment.

46. namoricoo

namoricoo

The best sound clips I coud find for any style of game will cost you. Under $3 per clip. As little as 99 cents. Here is a link for anybody looking for great sound clips for any type of game.

http://www.soundrangers.com/

For everybody who wants to know, UniDDatabase is 100% compatible with UniCar.

47. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Maybe the default quality level is higher in the editor than in your standalone build...

48. g2mediagroup

g2mediagroup

Hello NewLife,

Can you post any info on your wiki about using the BrakeLights.cs script? There isn't enough info about applying it to our model.

Thanks,

George

49. Rafes

Rafes

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  50. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

does this system support the ability to have a player enter the vehicle and exit it as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.