Unity Community

Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

1. Posts

Help ... please ?

This package looks really good, I went ahead and bought it.

Unfortunately I am new to Unity, and simply cannot get it to work, either on its own or in one of my scenes. Too many errors, doc/package inconsistencies, head scratching on my part. There is a small amount of car setup documentation on the unity wiki, the rest is reference docs explaining what the various variables in the sophisticated model do - and a bunch of pages are "There is currently no text in this page"

What I need is the basics, just to get me started:

• how do I "try out" this package and the sample scenes included (Just creating a new project with only that package installed loads up the monza scene, but due to errors it does not actually run)
    • how do i set up the car (the wiki docs don't work at least for a noob user like me)
    • how are cars and cameras and controllers related and how are they set up
    • -- for example first person inside the car, third person looking at the car
    • -- how do you dynamically switch cameras/cars (interesting video by a user here)
    • what tips are there for setting up roads, obstacles, terrain
    • -- smart ways of using layers
    • -- the wiki shows how to use Blender to set up a racetrack, would the Road/Path tool by sixtimesnothing also work, or EasyRoads3D ? Both allow building roads inside Unity.

Does anyone have knowledge of tutorials/videos/documentation about the "basics" of getting unityCar going and perhaps even beyond that, tips & techniques for building tracks / terrains that work well with unityCar in mind ?

Any advice appreciated and apologies if this strikes more sophisticated unity users as a naive set of questions - I am just getting started. Hopefully one day it'll all just be obvious

In the meantime I thank anyone who might point me to some helpful unitycar "starter" resources.

Thanks !!

Robert

2. Posts
    Ditto to just about everything you said....

3. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unitarian411 View Post
    This package looks really good, I went ahead and bought it.

Unfortunately I am new to Unity, and simply cannot get it to work, either on its own or in one of my scenes. Too many errors, doc/package inconsistencies, head scratching on my part. There is a small amount of car setup documentation on the unity wiki, the rest is reference docs explaining what the various variables in the sophisticated model do - and a bunch of pages are "There is currently no text in this page"
    Hello Robert,
    did you read the included README file? UnityCar has NO error or inconsistencies. Most probably you didnt copy the inputManager.setting file in the library folder of your project (as written in the README file).
    Btw, whenever you have an issue that you cant solve, you are encouraged to contact me on skype or email (you can find the contacts on the README file).

how do I "try out" this package and the sample scenes included (Just creating a new project with only that package installed loads up the monza scene, but due to errors it does not actually run)
    Read above

how do i set up the car (the wiki docs don't work at least for a noob user like me)
    What do you mean with set up the car? did you read this wiki page http://unitypackages.net/unitycar/wi...reating_a_car?

how are cars and cameras and controllers related and how are they set up
    Cameras logic is in CarCamera.cs

for example first person inside the car, third person looking at the car
    -- how do you dynamically switch cameras/cars (interesting video by a user here)
    This is outside the scope of UniyCar

what tips are there for setting up roads, obstacles, terrain
    -- smart ways of using layers
    -- the wiki shows how to use Blender to set up a racetrack, would the Road/Path tool by sixtimesnothing also work, or EasyRoads3D ? Both allow building roads inside Unity.
    You can of course use any Unity compatible road generator

Does anyone have knowledge of tutorials/videos/documentation about the "basics" of getting unityCar going and perhaps even beyond that, tips & techniques for building tracks / terrains that work well with unityCar in mind ?
    After UnityCar 2.0 Pro release im going to make some video tutorial in order to explain the basics of UnityCar.
    UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle simulation on Unity3D. Official thread - Online demos
    UnityCar 2.0 LE. Light Edition of UnityCar Pro. Online demos

4. Posts
    Video tutorials....That to me is the best update you could do. Thanks very much.

5. Posts
    Hello,
    this is just to tell you that today im releasing UnityCar 2.0 Pro to beta testers.
    Beta release has been postponed due to a weird bug that a LE beta tester found a couple of days ago: during hard brake at high speed (>250 kmh) front tires slide laterally due to a strong lateral force till a complete spin out.
    It took me two days to fix this issue.
    Now im working back to UnityCar 2.0 Pro.
    UnityCar 2.2 Pro. The most complete and accurate vehicle simulation on Unity3D. Official thread - Online demos

6. Location
    Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    Hello,
    this is just to tell you that today im releasing UnityCar 2.0 Pro to beta testers.
    Beta release has been postponed due to a weird bug that a LE beta tester found a couple of days ago: during hard brake at high speed (>250 kmh) front tires slide laterally due to a strong lateral force till a complete spin out.
    Awesome newlife thanks for the update.

7. Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Hello,
    Sounds good, looking forward to the new version.
    Unity 5 pre-ordered.
    Officially licensed Sony developer.

8. Posts

UnityCar 2.0 Pro progression

Hello,
    this is to update everybody in UnityCar 2.0 Pro progression.

New 3d models are ready and working (only new truck is missing):

New Ferrari model (by sipon):

New Monster Truck model (by sipon):

New R34 model (by moroz):

New city scene (thanks to sipon for the worderful city model):

New setup window (used to change car setup in runtime) fully implemented:

Engine Setup Tab:

Transmission Setup Tab:

Suspension Setup Tab:

Brakes Setup Tab:

Tires Setup Tab:

Body Setup Tab:

Driving Assistance Setup Tab:

The new engine model (with configurable max power, max power rpm, max torque and max torque rpm) is ready and working.
    Physic correct head movement with on board camera is implemented.
    Improved arcade mode based on a new class is implemented and working too.
    Movable steering wheel implemented.
    Full new suspension model implemented and working.

Most of the other new features (camber calculation,tire pressure calculation, accurate lateral and longitudinal tire relaxation calculation, new clutch model) are ready and working, they just need to be ported from a temporary working project.

Features that are missing are:
    • external config file (load car setup from an external text asset)
    • tire deformation

Im already working on these last new features together with beta testers, who are accurately checking that everything in the package is working like it should

Regards,
    Michele Di Lena

9. Location
    Finland
    Oh. didnt expect this much Cant wait! (well I can wait but still)

10. Location
    San Diego, California
    Wow....looks amazing. I can't wait for it...
    Game Ready 3D Models : Specializing in Unity game ready 3d car models.
    Visit The Asset Store to see our 3d car model inventory.

11. Posts
    OOOOhhhhhhh WWWEEEEEE that looks nice...Cant wait to get my hands on PRO....

Here is my first Game with Unity....and Unitycar. I just released Today!
    at the link below there is a Teaser Video, Free demo and the full version is only 15 USD.

NewLife this would not have been possible without you.......... THANK YOU

Now i need to get PRO from you and start testing my UPDATED version of RCSIM.....lol

but first im going racing and a short vacation.....been at my desk for three months straight.....ugh.

Thanks again

Kevin

www.rcsimulation.com

Last edited by devotid; 07-28-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: forgot something

12. Location
    New York, USA
    Horsepower and torque curves ALWAYS cross at 5250rpm...just saying.

13. Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Devotid. Are all the cars in your RC Simulator to scale? I tried to make a scale model RC car game with Unitycar but the car just jumped around.

Your tracks look nice, what did you model them in?
    Unity 5 pre-ordered.
    Officially licensed Sony developer.

14. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derkoi View Post
    Devotid. Are all the cars in your RC Simulator to scale? I tried to make a scale model RC car game with Unitycar but the car just jumped around.

Thanks,
    The cars are a little more than double the size of the "real counterpart" IIRC they are about 3 feet long (1m)....im guessing though. Id say somewhere in the 1/5th or 6th scale i would say........

also i had to run the entire game at 2.0-2.8 Time scale..... it makes everything feel more "zippy". Real rc cars seem to defy laws of motion sometimes because it has SOOO much power to weight and ridiculously high RPM's.

The tracks were made in in 3ds max and the main jumps were started as height map imports and then tweaked with the unity terrain editor to ad all the bumps and randomness of off road....there is a ton of work into the tracks....i mean the surface that is...... if you stay "in the groove" the track is faster and smoother....... which trains you to stay under control and lay down better lap times.

if you got any Q's PM me.... id be glad to offer and get advice if it helps.

Kevin

15. Posts
    Stuff is looking good. Officially impressed.

16. Posts
    love the http://www.rcsimulation.com stuff, feeling inspired now,

I'v had Edy car system for a while and not really used it, I was wondering what people experience on iphone is with UnityCar ? or option in Unitycar 2
    I'v found edy car system does'nt runn very well on iPhone (or slow at least) and I'm looking for a really efficient (rather than realistic) option for mobile.

Has anyone released anything on the asset stores (iOS or Android) using UnityCar so I can have a look at its performance.

17. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devotid View Post
    OOOOhhhhhhh WWWEEEEEE that looks nice...Cant wait to get my hands on PRO....

Here is my first Game with Unity....and Unitycar. I just released Today!
    at the link below there is a Teaser Video, Free demo and the full version is only 15 USD.

NewLife this would not have been possible without you.......... THANK YOU

Now i need to get PRO from you and start testing my UPDATED version of RCSIM.....lol

but first im going racing and a short vacation.....been at my desk for three months straight.....ugh.

Thanks again

Kevin

www.rcsimulation.com
    wow great work Kevin!
    If you agree, i would like to include your work in the UnityCar "uses case" when i'll update the website.

18. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devotid View Post
    Thanks,
    The cars are a little more than double the size of the "real counterpart" IIRC they are about 3 feet long (1m)....im guessing though. Id say somewhere in the 1/5th or 6th scale i would say........

also i had to run the entire game at 2.0-2.8 Time scale..... it makes everything feel more "zippy". Real rc cars seem to defy laws of motion sometimes because it has SOOO much power to weight and ridiculously high RPM's.

The tracks were made in in 3ds max and the main jumps were started as height map imports and then tweaked with the unity terrain editor to ad all the bumps and randomness of off road....there is a ton of work into the tracks....i mean the surface that is...... if you stay "in the groove" the track is faster and smoother....... which trains you to stay under control and lay down better lap times.

if you got any Q's PM me.... id be glad to offer and get advice if it helps.

Kevin
    yep simulating rc cars is VERY problematic cause numeric simulation of small and light (consequently low inertia) wheels is prone to instabilities and numeric explosion.
    Did you use standard time step? which is car and wheel weight?

Quote Originally Posted by derkoi View Post

Hello Devotid did you try the suggestions i sent some weeks ago in this thread?

19. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Z31NA2T View Post
    Horsepower and torque curves ALWAYS cross at 5250rpm...just saying.
    what do you mean?

20. Location
    New York, USA
    what do you mean?
    On a graph showing horsepower and torque (dyno sheet, dyno graph, etc)...the 2 lines always cross at 5250rpm...and theres no changing that. Its just a constant. And in the event that the RPMs don't reach 5250rpm, they simply do not cross. This is with hp and lb-ft though, if you're mixing and matching them with hp and nM, it might result in differences. Just food for thought in how to calculate an accurate power curve....

http://www.bcheads.com/images/dyno-gary.gif

http://www.911chips.com/jh32dyno.gif

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/D...cG8%5Cdyno.jpg

http://www.dragtimes.com/images_dyno...-SRT8-Dyno.jpg

http://maseengineering.com/images/up...supra_dyno.gif

This comment is towards this:

http://unitypackages.net/2.0Pro3.jpg
    Last edited by Z31NA2T; 07-29-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast