Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AI 4 Enemies

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Hummelwalker, May 22, 2011.

1. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Update1: AI 4 Enemies is available at the Asset Store now!

Today I've submitted my new asset to the Asset Store. It's created to give your NPC models artificial intelligence for creating close combat fighters and range weapons-user.

"AI 4 Enemies" supports animations, sounds, different damage modi like damage by calculation or by collision, obstacle avoidance, vertical height, combat fighter and range weapons-user, it includes a waypoint editor for complex patrol routes.

I coded it in C#, so I implemented some c# events which delivers informations for a better integration into games (for special effects, counters or what else).

A full demo scene is included in the package too. It demonstrates some functionalities:Play demo level.

More infos and tutorials you can find here: AI 4 Enemies

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. phex

phex

looks good and is very usefull.
    When i start working on my game again you have a customer.

Can not find it on assetstore right now. Whats the price ?

3. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Hi Phex,

that sounds great :) To your question: at present it's waiting for activation. I propose 85 US-Dollar. Considering the time I worked for it, I think the price is fair :)

Greetings
    HW

4. psyclone

psyclone

Definitive posibilities there for my project...

5. phex

phex

Yes its fair, but i have to sell some dungeons first :)

6. Hans

Hans

i dont see it on the asset store - were is it ?

7. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

It have to be checked by the Asset Store Team. Hopefully it will be activated this day.

@Phex: Very nice dungeon set!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

AI 4 Enemies released today at the Asset Store!

9. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

I've uploaded a video tutorial on my website for an introduction into using AI 4 Enemies. It don't explained all functionalities, but for an overview I think it's better than nothing ;).
    Maybe I make some videos more in future. So it would be great if you suggest points which I should explain :)

Greetings HW

10. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will this work on uneven terain?
    I have some idears for future updates.

I send you a pm.

11. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Hi M_Stolley,

yes it works on uneven terrain, bevel surfaces and it supports stairs.

By the way, I answered your pm :)

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  12. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Added some tutorials to my documentation which you can find on my AI 4 Enemies site

13. pneill

pneill

The prefab looks interesting, but I noticed that it seems an NPC AI can only be a ranged AI or a melee AI. Is it possible for an NPC to be both? So for example, it's ranged AI for some distance, but if the gap is closed it converts to a Melee AI?

14. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

You're right. At present you can decide which fight mode the AI has. It's planed to combine them in a future release.

15. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

AI 4 Enemies got a small update. Among other things a script was added for demonstrating how to cause Calculation Damage to AI. This functionality was added to demo scene which you can play (see above), too.

16. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

AI 4 Enemies got a new character model which is included in the demo scene. It demonstrates using calculation damage while shooting.

17. imtrobin

imtrobin

The AI are foot skating, is it able to support locomotion setup?

18. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Hi imtrobin,

you can adjust the walking speed of AI to synchronize the animation and the moving for a better looking. But the AI doesn't supports locomotion at present.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

I bought this, I needed help..collisions, hit points, waypoints..all that stuff..
    I run all my enemies with locomotion.

I am still fine tuning...I believe without out a char controller and or motor,
    smooth movement changes are going to be really hard to achieve.
    as you can see from my attemp to use locomotion on a capsule collider w/ your controller..

merc_SciFiCity : 14Mbs | 6 enemys | no playmaker | no hits or dying

why not use it??? [a Character controller is WAY better than a collision capsule].
    the class exposes so much more data..am I going to have to re-write it myself??

and please put in list arrays for pretty much everything..Die/Hit sounds/death animations

I also scrapped ALL the animation garbage...and instead am using playmaker to get all that enemy ai stuff,
    the stuff I just am to lazy to write myself, into a state machine system, that is going to allow me so much more flexablility!!
    ie, normal locomotion group | crouching locomotion group | aiming locomotion group | firing locomotion group

also..maby a retreat??? in playmaker I will look for a tag "cover" go to it, hit it and start a crouch state, a run/walk backwards aim/fire state.
    say some stuff...set what they said and when they said it in a variable...so they do not say the same thing everytime...

Do you have playmaker and enemies 4 ai?? want my custom action?? GetAIConroller.cs??

it really opens the door!!

p-

20. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Hi ForceVFX,

at present AI 4 Enemies doesn't support locomotion (see comment above). For giving better support I send you a pm!

Greetings,
    Carsten

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know you don't support locomotion..but It will work, and it looks better..no question..
    I am not asking for support...or help...

I will show you how I took your tool to a whole new level....

I am rewriting your controller as we speak....I will share my 'enhancents with you.', the shaking of my charcaters was due to a combo of shoot delay and fight delay..fixed those so now I have a solid machine gun burst..w/ smooth transition..patroling a 5 story structure with stairs, they attack and follow up/down stairs...all while actually hitting the steps!!
    just FYI

p-

22. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Hi ForceVFX, I know that it's possible to code AI which supports locomotion. My next version will do that. But thanks for your advice!

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

hey the better the product and hype, the more $$$$$

heres a better version...(still not any death. yet, but soon....)
    can your system do a running shoot??

http://www.playmerc.com/merc_SciFiCity/

p-

24. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

AI4Enemies 1.2 is out now. Customers of older version will get the new version for free.

The main points of the new version are:
    - new alternative fight animation slot for random played fight actions. Especially for close combat fighters this is a fine method for more variety.
    - new run mode (when AI follows target)
    - new "target discovering sound" slot which will be played when AI discovers its target.
    - multiple sound slots for each sound action (fight, hit, die and target discovering)
    - new weapon range parameter
    - new min and max shooting pause parameters

You can test some of these functionalities in this AI4 Enemies demo scene which is included in the package.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  25. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

AI4Enemies 1.3 is comming: "Projectile Lifetime", individuell AudioRolloffMode for each sound, new sound files (included in demo scene). And of course: Free version for all customers of forerunner versions.

26. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

can we use it from playmaker and also is there look around after the enemy lost the player also locomotion support please :)

27. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@mrbdrm I have no experience in playmaker and I don't know how it could makes it easier to work with AI 4 Enemies ;) You have only to press "AI Behavour" (new menu button in Components) when you selected your character and set up your parameters like you need them, and thats all - no programming. I wrote a documentation pdf where I explained the parameters and explained how you have to use AI 4 Enemies. I planned some videos for a better explanation, but that needs some time.

When the enemy lost the player, it starts with a dynamic waypoint mode to look and wait. It's an easy solution but it works very well and needs no pre configuration or something else. Have a look to the demo scene which I've linked (if you've played it in the past, please clear your browser cache for getting the actual version)

Locomotion is not implemented yet, but it's planned in the future.

28. Hans

Hans

Has AI 4 Enemies been removed form the asset store, i have purchased it but cannot re download it also looking searching through the asset store it doesn't show up.

29. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

Hello Hans,
    two days ago I wrote an eMail to Caitlyn (Asset Store Admin) because of this. She said that she will put it back. Now I'm waiting like you.

I sent you a PM where I explained the background.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  30. Hans

Hans

Yes i remmber now, sorry for the post :)

31. Hans

Hans

reply to ya PM Hummelwalker

32. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@Hans: Update link is forwarded :)

33. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

can't we let the enemy search for the player in the place he last seen him and after a giving time go back to his patrol

34. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@mrbdrm : The enemy runs to the last place where he saw his target. If the enemy can't detect his target at that position, he creates dynamic waypoints to patrol on this new place. He doesn't go back to his original position because that needs pathfinding, and AI 4 Enemies doesn't includes that.

35. imtrobin

imtrobin

Was it removed from asset store? Can't find it anymore

36. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@imtrobin Normally not. Caitlyn said that she would put it back into store, but now I'm waiting like many others who contacted me...

EDIT: AI 4 Enemies returns to the AssetStore! It's available again! Thanks, Caitlyn!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  37. danreid70

danreid70

Just picked it up. Very nice. Going to mod it a little, but I like the framework you put together so far, Hummelwalker! It's nice that I can almost "plug and play" my stuff into this - instead of rolling enemy AI from scratch every time I start a new project. And by "project", I mean: fun little games that I start building and then never seem to finish... :) Ah, life has a way of popping up and distracting developers from their personal projects, eh? :) But every new project, I learn more and more about what Unity can do, and the limits of my own skills, and what I need to work on more. But I digress...

Looking forward to enhancements! Keep up the good work!

38. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@danreid70: Thank you very much :) I have many ideas for new enhancements. But if you have ideas, you can send me all of them via pm or e-Mail! It's always good to know what customers need :)

Greetings,
    Carsten aka Hummelwalker

39. Andrew Enquist

Andrew Enquist

Is there a easy way to add simple burst fire for enemies? Changing <Shooting Pause> parameter to very low simply doesn't gives that frequency

Greetings,
    Andrew

40. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

You're right Shooting pause isn't created for such things. At present I would simulate these things by creating an animation which shows burst firing for a short time and create a sound file including of maybe 5 shots (fitting to the shoting animation) and a small prefab (which shows 5 muzzle flashs similar like I did it for the soldier example).

For getting more variety in the next update I could add an additional projectile prefab slot and an additional sound slot which would be used when the Fight Alt Animation will be played. So you could create a short shooting animation (like 3 shots) and a longer animation (maybe 7 shots). Is this interessting for you?

41. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

is it possible to control the enemy ?
    like controlling hes state ( attack / stop / look for / go back )
    for my game i want the enemy to go to the player on some sort of a trigger , not by seeing the player , is it possible ?

42. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@mrbdrm Normaly it's not created for such things. But you can deactivate the AI functionality easily and set the states manually by triggers or something else.
    Did you bought it? Then I can give you some detailed informations regarding the scripts etc.

43. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i want to buy it :)
    but i don't want to get no use with it , after i buy it .
    you should make it more of complete AI kit and rise the price if you want .

44. Andrew Enquist

Andrew Enquist

Good idea, thanks I will do that.

Sounds good for temporary solution. But personally I would go into direction where scripting handle burst fire duration itself.
    I'm not sure but It seems to me that code waits now with playing next <shoot> animation until entire previous <shoot> animation is completed. And in my mind it could be not necessary
    Id est: 1. If you just define minimal time for one shoot and then interrupt it and replay it again Y times 2. play entire animation only when it is last shoot from that burst fired

Best Regards
    Andrew

45. xenoblackinc

xenoblackinc

will this support ally's if so how can this be done? also can more animation's be added to characters? how about multiple damage sounds? please let me know i want to purchase this system i hope it's like the unity shooter engine without locomotion.

46. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@xenoblackinc: At present it supports only 1 to n - one player against multiple enemies. But I'm planning to impement n to n - player team (or one player and ai partners) agains multiple enemies.

Each enemy has his own animations. There are one idle, one run, one walk, one hit, one die and two fight animations which will be played by random.

Each enemy has his own sound slots. Each situation has multiple sounds which will be played by random. Situations where sounds can be played: when he fights (e.g. shooting or hitting sounds), when he dies, when he will be hit, when he discovers the target (e.g. for weapon loading sounds, attacking shouts or what else).

The demo scene shows many functionalities (except the second fight animation) which you can play here: AI 4 Enemies - Demo Scene

47. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

V1.4 is now available on the Asset Store!

Main new feature: Multiple Targets. Have a look to the included demo scene.

48. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

This is absolutely awesome. I'm so happy you made this!

I have Rain{one} and SimplePath, but I really just want a simple plug-n-play system for basic AI enemy behavior. It's such an obvious need to supply and it looks like you've done it! I'll be getting this soon. :)

49. Hummelwalker

Hummelwalker

@Xander Davis: Oh, thanks a lot for your nice words :)

50. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

I'm running into some issues. I'm doing an iOS project with Unity Pro + Unity iOS Pro 3.4.

I was able to play the DemoScene several times. But then, randomly, it suddenly gave me the following errors:

Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(32,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'wantedRotationAngle'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(33,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'wantedHeight'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(35,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentRotationAngle'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(36,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentHeight'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(39,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentRotationAngle'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(42,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentHeight'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(45,9): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentRotation'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(50,31): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentRotation'.
    Assets/AI4Enemies/DemoScene/Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(53,32): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'currentHeight'.

I got these errors the first time I opened up the DemoScene. Then they randomly went away and I was able to use it for hours. When I just now tried to Build, I am now stuck with these errors.

Please advise? Thanks