Search Unity

An infinity of 3D models from... just one model !!!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by p6r, May 21, 2011.

1. p6r

p6r

You can see the small bridge I have made from just one 3D object (the woodblock you can see on the picture !) thanks to the Modifiers plugin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to use another 3D program to create an infinity of new 3D models !
    And the best is that I can use this bridge, for example, again and again for another file or scene !!! I just have to change some parameters on the morphs and I have another but similar bridge for my game.

Thanks again Spookycat...

6R

2. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Wow, very cool.

3. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Very interesting, It seems (To an extent) you dont really need a 3d modeller for some games.

4. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

That's quite something, the whole bridge just from one box mesh. Going to be very interesting to see what else you do with it, I am hoping to buy the system as well soon, it looks like it would be great for a cartoony game Iam messing about with. Please post more :)
    Mike

5. Prodigga

Prodigga

clever.. i'd imagine it'd be really tedious though

6. Filto

Filto

That approach can work decently at best in some occasions. I can't see it changing the workflow of assest creation really. For modifying organic like trees or bending rails or something the modifiers can be extremly useful though i imagine

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  7. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

But doesn't each plank and pole produce one draw call, as opposed to a single one for a self-contained mesh object?

8. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

All you would have to do is put the MeshCombineUtility script provided by Unity on it to make it one draw call.
    Mike

9. p6r

p6r

Yes, for cartoony games, it's great !!! Deformed objects are perfect for that !!!

If you want more, here it is : (the same woodblock several times for the ladder and the door ! A simple multiple modified sphere for the screws !)

6R

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

That is a great use of the system, especially as it didn't start out as being designed to be used in that way, but thanks to a small bit of pressure from Unity and from requests from people like yourself it has found a new way of being used. It is fascinating to see how it is being utilized. I look forward to seeing some more examples :)

About the draw call question, yes that is true currently, though as Mile said you could use the Unity combine meshes script. I will look at adding an option to the system to automatically combine meshes and also save them to prefabs. As I said this use for the system wasn't envisaged when I started the system, it was written to deal with our engine needs, but I can see the need for combining meshes etc. It is nice to see the system being discussed so I can see what needs improving or adding to :)

Chris

11. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

@ p6r

Where'd the picture of the bridge go?

12. duncanx

duncanx

Keep in mind that this is exactly what the 3d modeler guy would be doing. They start from a cube, or less, and arrive at ladders and bridges. Good modelers also reuse pieces of models as starting points.

It's an interesting exploration, but you're not really skipping any work...you're just doing all the same steps instead of someone else doing them. The problem is that, as is, this wouldn't scale. If you tried to make a town, doing things like using a sphere to represent a screw would add up quickly.

One potential I think of is using it as a prototyping tool. The idea would be that the person making the levels would mock everything up using a tool like this, then have some way of exporting or getting the data out of Unity. A modeler (could even be the same person) could use this to build models "to spec".

13. p6r

p6r

@ Neural_Echo : I don't understand your question !?! Is it really a question ? :)
    Actually I'm just testing the plugin and I'm trying to understand how it works...

@ duncanx : You're right : Depending on the world you want to create...
    For me, it's simply great to "modell" without leaving Unity3D and to create my "world" little by little, with only ONE software.
    Sure I can't do all what I need but for example, it's interesting to have several forms of similar trees just by deform one !
    Here it was ONE block to create various things but I could have ONE complete toon streetlamp and deform it on different ways to have several lamps without having to create them in another software !!! (I know I could modell one and deform it in a modelling software and import the lamps in Unity3D, but why not the inverse way !?!)

And it's just MY way to use the plugin. Spookycat designed it to be used in another way...

The most important is CREATION !!! "How to do this or that" is a personal thing ! :)

6R

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I would love to see a video on how this works!

15. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

@ p6r

The initial post in this thread says "You can see the small bridge I have made from just one 3D object..."

By that statement, I assumed that there is a picture of the bridge you created, but I can't see any pictures in the original post, or the rest of this thread (except user avatars and smilies :) ).

I did once get a broken thumbnail link to an image on another site, but that link is missing, too.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  16. Darloc

Darloc

@Neural I see it just fine

17. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I see the pictures too. Maybe try switching/updating your browser...

18. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

@ p6r, Darloc and HTH_mrsnake

I have tried viewing this forum thread on Windows using Chrome, Firefox IE; and have also tried viewing it on OSX using Safari and Firefox, but the URL that links to the picture appears to be dead no matter which OS/browser I use.

The URL is http://cartoon6r.free.fr/forum/modifierbridge2.jpg, but it does not load, even when typed directly into the address bar of any browser.

It may be possible that the site is down every time I try, or that there is a firewall rule somewhere preventing me from accessing it.

Could I please ask someone (possibly p6r) to upload the image directly onto the Unity forum inside this thread, as doing so will eliminate any problems associated with linking to the image on an external site.

Thanks.

19. p6r

p6r

@ Neural_Echo : Strange !?!
    I have uploaded here... Hope it's OK for you, now !?!

6R

Attached Files:

20. Neural Echo

Neural Echo

@ p6r

Thanks heaps for uploading the images, I can see them now.

The models you've made look really nice, especially the ladder.

With all those nicely warped surfaces, I wonder how many vertices and faces the Mega-fiers system is adding to your models.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Actually it doesn't add any vertices or faces it works with what is in the mesh. So for p6r to get those results he has started with a cube with a few more vertices in so the system has something to work with. It is then entirely up to the artist as to how complex he wants the mesh to be and they can be designed with the planned deformations in mind.
    Chris

22. Artimese

Artimese

So how does this work? I'm sure this has its limitations, you cant create "anything" from just 1 piece of mesh, atleast not optimizingly

23. p6r

p6r

@ HTH_mrsnake : SpookyCat has added a long video to see exactly how it works here (+ the new modifiers !) :
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/89750-Mega-Fiers.-A-mesh-deformation-system-RELEASE !

@ Artimese : Sure you can't creat "anything" from just 1 piece of mesh ! :)
    * I just wanted to show one way to use these modifiers for people who could be interested in the Mega-fiers plugin. When people wonder if they will buy this or this plugin they need to know exactly what to do with it. Sometimes it's interesting someone gives examples...
    When I saw this plugin I immediately thought about this way to use it : deform my models to create other similar models !!!
    * SpookyCat uses his plugin on another way... (see the video link before !)
    For example, actually and for another tests, I use the plugin like SpookyCat : I don't create models from one but I deform a toony streetlamp I made to have various similar lamps on a toon street ! And it's great to deform it directly into Unity3D because I can change the form again and again if needed or if not satisfied : more or less bended or twisted or "bubbled"... for example until it's perfect for my scene.
    * Maybe someone will find another way(s)... And it's great to communicate this to help people or simply to share the idea...

6R

24. p6r

p6r

Example of deformations of my toony streetlamp :
    So, if I want to create a street with similar lamps but not necessary the same aspect, I can use the Mega-fiers !!!
    The various parameters (offset, position, rotation, scale, Region,...) of the modifiers allow an infinity of deformations also an infinity of similar but different lamps. I could fill an entire toontown with many many many lamps without having the same one twice !!!

6R

25. p6r

p6r

INCREASE your assets with Mega-fiers :

If you have bought assets like the great Dungeon pack from Frogames, why not use the plugin to increase the number of models. For example various deformed cubes with the texture included in the pack can be added to the dungeon world :
    (I have used the shader "self-illumin" to see them better on the scene !)

6R

26. Acumen

Acumen

You sound more and more like a salesman (being paid) by these plugin guys every day :D

27. p6r

p6r

:) :) :)
    NO !!! Im' not paid by the authors...

It's just for fun and to test all what we can do with the plugin. As I already said, I have bought it because I thought I could do such things with the Mega-fiers... and It's true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And more than expected !!!

6R

28. p6r

p6r

Some easy made pipelines !?! Simply BEND a cylinder (90° or 180 °) :

6R

29. p6r

p6r

A kart with included primitives of Unity or A-lab software primitives !!!
    At the left side you can see the modifiers on the primitives : For example, I have used a cylinder for the wheel... a capsule for the seat, and so on...

6R

30. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

That's super cool!

31. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot HTH_mrsnake...

6R

32. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have to say p6r that is quite something, it is really great to see the system being used in such a complete way. Looking forward to seeing where you go next :)
    Chris

33. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

That is very cool p6r, very inspiring, think I will have to start saving for the system you use to do all of this. Have you done any more?
    Mike

34. p6r

p6r

Thanks MikeUpchat :
    Actually, no ! Because I was testing the kart with the rapidunity vehicle editor from A-lab software. I wanted to know if I can make it work with this plugin and It's great !!!

6R

35. ibyte

ibyte

6R you are a very creative resourceful person :)

iByte

36. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot iByte...
    There are a lot of creative people here and it's why I like this forum. Don't forget : Unity3D is a software which allows us to be creative in many directions...

A picture of my kart tests :

6R

37. p6r

p6r

Hey guys...
    The new morph system is fantastic : From the base character I can add my morphs very easily and in .obj format !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By adding several morphs I can not only give another form to my character but give him a lot of expressions !!! And a mix of morphs can give a plane with a cat head, and so on !!! FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great for my cartoon style projects... A similar character with several aspects to create a nice world !!!!!!!!!

6R

38. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

This is getting out of hand xD darn you developers! haha. This is crazily productive and amazing..

39. ibyte

ibyte

6R if you have a way to do a screen capture session of applying the modifiers/morphtools to get said results that would be awesome ...
    Damn, I need some time to play with this stuff

iByte

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  40. p6r

p6r

@ charliesamways : Thanks a lot for your comments.

@ iByte : On this page you can find the great video explaining perfectly how it works : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/89750-Mega-Fiers.-A-mesh-deformation-system-RELEASE/page2.
    SpookyCat has cahnged or added some things after my tests with this character because of the scale and the orientation of the .obj character : each software doesn't save the object like 3dsmax he uses.

Easy process : (You need 2 files of the same object in .obj and .fbx formats ! + a morph file in .obj format !)
    * Drag the (.fbx) file of your object into the scene !
    * Load the mapping (.obj) file of the same object with the red button "Mapping" !
    * Add the morph with the add channel button ! Finished !!!

Don't hesitate to ask the author who is very helpful...

6R

41. ibyte

ibyte

Thanks - that one slipped by me somehow - I am already glad I bought it the day after it was in the Asset store even though I haven't had time to do much with it.

Chris, Thank You for offering and supporting an awesome toolset and 6R thanks for sharing your results!

iByte

42. 3Duaun

3Duaun

the mega-fiers tool/script has finally given me a VERY easy way to implement vertex animation(using OBJ's), like that mentioned in this thread. I'm lookin forward to seeing more optimization and polishing in that area of Mega-Fiers, but so-far so-GREAT imo.

43. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Excellent morphs p6r, I really need to get this system, just have to save a little first. Looks like a nice easy to use system.

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well, considering the modifiers are almost identical to 3dsmax's modifiers, one would assume using them to model is a natural idea to come to :)

45. p6r

p6r

Here another picture with more of my characters from the original yellow guy :

Mixing is great !!! The purple bumper car is a mix of the bumper + the plane ! For example you can have a ghost with a cat head : Funny !!!

Did you see Yoda at the left side ??? :)

6R

46. 3Duaun

3Duaun

yoda looks cool, nice work

47. p6r

p6r

Another picture showing what to do with a simple morphed and deformed shape : I just have transformed the white "pear" at the left into a mushroom, a trunk and "leaves" ! If you stretch, bend and... the trunk, you can have a lot of similar but different trees.

6R

48. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

wow, those results are amazing, and funny hehehehe

49. p6r

p6r

Thanks CoatlGames...
    Each time SpookyCat adds a new modifier I can make more amazing things with these Mega-fiers. There are incredible... like their author !!!

6R

50. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Revolutionising the game industry! xD I keed but this is crazy.. You can just make your own games without a modeller quite easily it seems :L