Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Mega-Fiers. A mesh deformation system - RELEASE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, May 18, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Sorry Yann but the new version still isn't in the store yet, the version you have is an old one that hasn't got the autodetect functionality in it yet. Still waiting for Unity to update it.

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Seems v1.23 is taking a while to appear, re submitted an even newer version in case it has got lost in the system. So v1.24 has the following changes:

• Common params for modifiers grouped into a foldout and laid out better

• Sort button removed as will automatically sort on changing an order value

• Mapping or morph verts will find correct obj in file with more than one object in it

• Added a MorphAnim script, Unity Animation system doesn't pick up values in arrays etc, so to be able to make use of the animation system drop a MorphAnim script on the morph object, set the name of the channel to one in the morph object then you can use the Percent value in the Anim script to set the morph amount.
    Still no sign of the new version in the store, they must be busy at E3 or the 6th birthday party :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. 3Duaun

3Duaun

and yet another great round of updates, thank you Spooky Cat!!!

4. Zeronine

Zeronine

yes! its a fantastic system.

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks :) Not sure what is going on with the review system at unity, the new update is still 'Pending Review', guess E3 is having its effect.

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Version 1.24 in the store now :) Got another version lined up for today hopefully with a deform along a path modifier added.
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  7. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

a WHAT!? :)

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The Path Deform modifier does this sort of thing...

9. p6r

p6r

Great !
    The render path was in your first video... and I was waiting for it.
    Thanks a lot !

6R

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

New version (1.29) submitted to the store, has the Path Deform modifier in it. I will do a video this evening on how to use it and the Spline editor. But for now the changes are:

• Fixed some gui items not having immediate effect

• Added PathDeform modifier

• Added MegaShape spline editor to create paths for Path Deform modifier

• Fixed bug in morph mapping that meant scaled obj files weren't detected correctly.

• More improvements to the GUI systems.

• MegaShape Spline creates a circle to start with and has a radius button. Add and delete knots works better.
    Just in case the submission takes another 3 days if anyone is having trouble getting the morph mapping to work message me and Ill send you the updated file directly.
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  11. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Path Deform, great addition!! Thanks for the fixes in 1.27 too

12. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

13. 3Duaun

3Duaun

VERY impressive, a feature I cant wait to implement in the title we're developing now

14. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

That looks like the 2nd best feature so far, the easy to use morphing system is what I really want to try out.
    Mike

15. p6r

p6r

16. tertle

tertle

Holy crap that's impressive.

17. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Could the path deformation bit be modified somehow to make a edge-tileable mesh (like a fence or something) repeat and deform?

18. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Nice one p6r, glad we got the bugs ironed out on that one :) Always very motivational to see results from the system, anyone else got anything to show :)

Legend411 that is something that I have in the MegaShapes system Iam working on alongside MegaFiers, a small part of which is the spline system that is in MegaFiers for the path deform. You can see that at work briefly in the scatter system video http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/82367-Scatter-System which shows a crash barrier which has start and end meshes and multiple meshes to be repeated along the path.

The new update 1.29 still hasn't appeared in the store which is a bit frustrating as I seem to want to release new updates quicker than Unity can approve them.

Chris

19. p6r

p6r

20. 3Duaun

3Duaun

The more we implement MegaFiers, the more I get addicted to the ease-of-use and array of options that this AWESOME systems supports. WOW! I hope Unity gets on posting updates sooner to the store.

.... and whats this you say of a MegaShapes system ;-), please do tell more

21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Nice to hear zhx that you are enjoying the system the more you use it :) I have just submitted version 1.30 to the store and I am hoping that seeing as 1.29 was still waiting approval that they will skip right over that version and go for the latest one instead. The changes in 1.30 are:

• Displace wasn't appearing in modifier list in the components menu
    • Added curves to the Path Deform so you can vary the stretch and twist along the length of the path to make it more flexible. Useful for say a rollercoaster where you could stretch the cars in a fast section and squish them in a compression, and also bank them as they go around corners etc.
    • Added a popup in the inspector for Morph Anim to make it easier to select channels. Note MorphAnim has changed a little bit as we found that the Animation window doesnt like multiple classes of the same type on an object, it shows them but seems if you change a value its changed in all the same classes. So morphanim is self contained and can currently support 10 channels animating, I can increase this at any time so if you run out just shout.
    • Morph Anim works in editor mode now.
    • Added various shapes to the spline system to make making paths a little easier. Shapes are Circle, Arc, Helix, Rectangle, Ellipse, NGon, Star.
    • Added a window for the shapes and can be added from the GameObject menu. Note that once you have moved knots manually for a path changing a value in the shape inspector say radius for circle will reset the points.
    As for the MegaShapes that will generally be a primitive system for Unity but with full control over number of vertices, uv mapping, smoothing etc, along with systems such as the Scatter system, the fence/barrier system, lathe and eventually a full lofter and the boolean system. You can see some of those working in my youtube videos.
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  22. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@SpookyCat, we definitely need more than 10 morph channels for our main actors. All other elements in our current title, aside from the main actors are fine with around 5-6 channels For our main actors, we would need around 15-20 morph channels.

Thanks also for the update on MegaShapes.

23. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

No problem zhx, I will update the file and when the update goes live I will send it over to you directly. Just a note though this isnt the number of morph channels you can have, you are unlimited there, this is for people who want to set up animations in the editor animation window as opposed to modifying the channel percents via scripting.
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  24. rhamm1320

rhamm1320

Is this the one used for your tire deformation videos?

25. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Like your deformerkit.

Im using the Page Flip script.

Can you update the documentation for this deformer?

What i like to request additionaly: If im flipping a book page i have normaly a fornt side and a backside.
    The problem is to have only one mesh but two textures to texture it.
    Could you develop a way to get this more easysly done?

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

rhamm1320- The tire system is an extension of the system really, but also can be off loaded to the GPU, it is something we are using in our games at the moment so I cant add it yet to MegaFiers but I am sure it will make it in there one day.

Malzbier - Good point I was going to add a page maker to that to make that easier, the page turn is a WIP and will be improved upon. I will do a page maker today, only problem is there seems to be a bit of backlog in the submission process to the store, been 6 days since a new version has been added to the store and I think I have submitted 3 or 4 versions in that time. But Caitlyn is back on the case now so hopefully normal service will be resumed.

Chris

27. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Version 1.30 in the store now :)

28. 3Duaun

3Duaun

! nice, wish Unity would get on posting updates at a fast pace, still though. Your work to refine improve MegaFiers is superb, thank you!

29. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just added a Page Mesh builder as requested. You can say how big you want it and how many segments each dimension is divided into, it applies uv coords and splits the mesh into 3 submeshes so you can apply a material for the front and one for the back and one for the edge. Currently the pageflip mod will flatten a mesh to a plane. You can specify whether the pivot is in the center or at the base or at the left edge (which is best for page flip modifier). If you apply a modifier stack to the object and you change the page mesh in anyway you will need to first check the GrabVerts box in the modify Object panel, then make changes to the page mesh then uncheck the grabverts box. This makes the MegaFier system update the base mesh definition.

If you can think of improvements to the Page Mesh builder just post them and Ill add them in. The new version has been submitted and hopefully it wont take a week for it to work its way through this time :)
    Chris

30. p6r

p6r

Great !
    I hope too they will be faster now to update your plugin...
    Maybe they could give an approval for the first release to control if the plugin or others is OK but after that the authors could update themselves !?!

6R

31. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Thak you for updating the Page Flip tool / deformer.
    Is that update already in the Update version 1,3 thats live on the Asset Store?

32. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Afraid not, hoping the submission procedure will be back to its normal speedy self. Well post when it goes live.
    Chris

33. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

i don't think.. since in the assets store v1.3 was released yesterday! and he say he SENT the new version to asset store today...

(i'm waiting for it since i bought mega fiers quite just because of page flipper :)

34. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Seems normal service has returned version 1.31 is available already. Let me know if there is anything you would like added to the page mesh. Off to finish of the world path deform modifier which will make it easier to use in some cases.
    Chris

35. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The Page flip is working fine. :)
    But i have to macke a flip from the right to the left and form the left to the right side and at the left to right movement is not so easy to create becoause its not simply the L ot R reversd animated.
    Could you add an mirror Y axis button?
    Or is there any other easy way to do this.

Overall great Asset set!!!

edit: I got the Other direction fliping done by Rotating the wohle pageand fliping the image Tiling.
    But its not a good solution because the edge that comes first over is now on on the top intat of the button ...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  36. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Malzbier
    To get it to work the other way you could change the OffsetX value to put the center on the right hand edge as opposed to the left hand edge and uncheck the FlipX toggle box.
    Chris

37. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have improved how page mesh works with the rest of the system, you can now make any changes to the Page mesh and the modifier system will pick it up automatically, making it easier to adjust the mesh density etc to get your desired smoothness. Also the 3 material slots are added on mesh creation so they just need filling in with your desired materials.

I also had a request to tidy up the directory structure for the system so now everything is under a MegaFier directory in each of the sections, ie Editor, Scripts, Resources etc, so you can see more easily what is part of the system and what isn't. This may involve deleting the older version files on import.

Anyway new version 1.32 submitted to the store.
    Chris

38. p6r

p6r

I have begun to play witht the flipping page (version 1.32)... GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks a lot SpookyCat !!!

6R

39. 3Duaun

3Duaun

not sure if I'll ever use the pageflip functionality, but darn, just wanted to say that after exploring it, the functionality is VERY robust! Grat to know if we need it in the future.

40. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Spookycat, sorry to be off-topic; I know your busy extending megafiers, but do you ever plan to release that awesome looking boolean system? :)

41. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Legend411, the boolean system will be added into the MegaShapes system, it is almost ready to go and I hope to be working on getting the whole system together in the next week or so. I should do a little teaser video of that.

On the MegaFiers front, the World Path Deform modifier is done, and I have started on proper documentation, this is also linked into Unity so a right click on the Script toolbar will give you a help option which will open a web page for the modifier in question. There will also be a chm help file version.
    Chris

42. 3Duaun

3Duaun

world path deform = NICE!! Thanks for making this one of the best asset store purchases we've made. And the addition of the help from the script toolbar is nice touch I wish more devs would care to add.

43. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi.
    I just picked up V1.32. Looks great.

I have a couple of questions after a quick look/play.

Is the readme file the main help?

>>And the addition of the help from the script toolbar is nice touch I wish more devs would care to add.
    from post above...what does this mean? I see components to be added under scripts, and also modifiers but no help. or is that what zhx means?

Could you explain the example scene (Modifiers?) a little more.
    I hit escape and it pops up with modfiers to text02.
    Are you supposed to use the editor to drag other objects into the source slot to play with them or?
    Is there an example for the page? Morphing?

Cheers,
    sv

44. itech

itech

Can the megafiers deformations be controlled through script ? If can, how they generate colliders and ?

45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The readme is the help at the moment, I will have a better version of help up this weekend on the Megafier site, and the next release of the system will have the linked in help, again hope to submit that today or tomorrow.

The test scene is just that a simple test of some of the modifiers on some of the objects, I only added the Gui for the logo and ground object. You will probably need to check the Enabled box on the logo in the GUI and also some of the modifiers are Off so again check the enabled box on each modifier you want to play with.

The scene has a page turn example in it as well as a morphing example (the wooden pipe).

Yes the deformations can be controlled through scripting or the animation window, the exposed parameters are in the readme and soon the new help files. I am working on automatic collider support for all deformations so that will be along not in the next version but likely the one after that.

Chris

46. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

First draft of the new help is up at the MegaFier Help Page I will be adding to it over the weeks with fuller text and some guides.
    Chris

47. zipper

zipper

Hi SpookyCat,

Just purchased your tools yesterday. They are really great thank you :)

I have one request. I prefer that tools import as one directory into my project. Its not that big of deal, since i can just rearrange the directories, but would be nice.

Thanks,
    zipper

48. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Zipper
    Thank you for the purchase, and I am glad you like the system :) And I look forward to seeing what you create with it.

I am not sure it can get any simpler as far as directories go due to it using editor scripts as well as normal scripts, so there has to be an Editor, Gizmos and an Editor Default Resources folder as well as the normal Scripts folder. I tried moving the other folders around and it doesn't install correctly and icons go missing etc, if anyone knows of a way around that I'll be happy to streamline it but reading the Asset store submission guide it says to have those directories if needed.

Chris

49. okimoki

okimoki

WOWWWWW!!!! Those deformers look great!! I wish Maya would have deformers like that.. Mayas suck.. And i wish i could buy your system! ;)
    Looks really awesome!

50. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

I have thome strange deformation withe the Page flip after changing (decrising) the number of segments of the page mesh.
    This is how it looks;

The white plate in the background with the 0 is another Page mesh (not efected by a modifyer) and the decresing of the segments does not efect it in sutch a strange way.