Search Unity

Terrain 4 Mobile System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, May 15, 2011.

1. SJAM

SJAM

Update 1.52
    - Fix problems with Unity 3.4 update.

Update 1.51

- Convertor : Now you can choice precisely the resolution of the T4M Terrain you want.
    - Painting : Adding Automatic save of the Mix texture
    - Planting : Fixing Lost Prefab optimisation
    - Planting : Fixing Groups Bug
    - Planting : Adding tweak for Y axis origin
    - Planting : Fixing Tree Preview Bug.
    - Menu : Some fix and some change
    - Menu : Add Shortcut to open T4M window (cmd+T or Ctrl+T)
    - Shader : Remove Toon Shader with Outline (Doesn't work correctly for now)
    - Shader : Fixing some Shaders

Features :

- Unity 3.3+ Only
    - OpenGLES 1.1 and 2 Devices (iPhone, iPad, Android and also Web, PC, MAC)
    - Convert Unity Terrain to T4M
    - Convert your own Imported GameObject (Must have a Planar Uv Mapping on Y axis)
    - Best Brush Preview
    - OpenGLES 2 : Mix 4,3 or 2 Tiling Textures (Diffuse with 3 level of speed, Unlit, bump, Toon) in 1 DrawCall
    - OpenGLES 1.1 : 2 textures shader + Lightmap 2 draw call with Lightmap (Not MBX)
    - OpenGLES 1.1 : Universal 2 textures shader VertexLit : 1 draw call (2 pass for MBX Lite)
    - OpenGLES 1.1 : Universal 2 textures shader UnLit 1 : draw call (2 pass for MBX Lite)
    - Undo/Redo implementation for painting and planting
    - Tree Planting or others Models (Random Y Rotation, Create Collider, Static attribute, Size)
    - Multiple T4M on the scene
    - Add your own Brushes (64x64)
    - Beast Lightmap Compatible (Not Bump shaders for performance reasons)
    - 3D Anaglyph System 2.5 (future update) Ready
    - OpenGLES 2 : Great Performance on 3GS or later with MSAA (480x320)
    - 'Lagoon' Scene Demo OpenGLES 2 (Great Performance in HD on iPad2 or others in SD) Ready to Build
    - 'Lagoon' Scene Demo OpenGLES 1.1 (Great performance in HD resolution on iPhone 4/ iPad 1 or later)Ready to Build
    - FPS Mini Pack (Universal controls PC/MAC/MOBILE : walk, turn, shoot) : Shoot the Gulls !!

PURCHASE IN ASSETSTORE

Tutorial :
    HERE

Table of Performances T4M : Made with the most slow shader (Diffuse Simple) V1.1 HIGH SETUP :
    HERE

Video T4M V1.0 :
    HERE

Try for Free (available on AssetStore)
    Lagoon Final version OpenGLES 1.1 (Shut up Gulls !!) iPhone 4G HD ScreenShot :
    (Universal Build Arm6 Arm7)

Screens of Lagoon iPod 3G ScreenShot :

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

awesome man!

3. SJAM

SJAM

Thank, 1.4 version will come soon...

Note : I found a problem on Unlit shader, I will try to fix that for next version.

NOTE : Unlit shaders Problem Solved for next Update

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  4. SJAM

SJAM

lol, same problem with toon shader : Problem Solved for next Update

5. bibbinator

bibbinator

Hi, do you have an estimate when the 1.4 update will be released with OGLES 1.1 support?

Thanks

6. SJAM

SJAM

it already finished... so this weekend with lagoon scene

7. bibbinator

bibbinator

Fantastic. How long does it take for it to appear in the Unity Asset Store once you submit it?

8. SJAM

SJAM

1day, so normaly, you can having the update monday

9. bibbinator

bibbinator

Will a terrain created using the current version be able to be switched to one that is OpenGL ES 1.1 compatible? Or will terrains have to be created from scratch using the new version?

10. SJAM

SJAM

you can switch to opengles 1.1 your current terrain but you must repaint the second mix texture, because the gles 1.1 don't work like gles 2 shader. (the second texture layer of gles1.1 shader is the 4 of gles2 shader)

11. bibbinator

bibbinator

Hi,
    I bought T4M in anticipation of the gl 1.1. version coming. Been playing with it and although it works it's a bit wonky here and there.

1. When I plant tree objects they sort of randomly are placed based on the cursor position. This would be fine if I could control it, but I don't see how? Also, it seems to choose a point somewhere to the right and down from where I click. I think if it's supposed to be random it would be better if the clicked point was the center and it randomly picked a point around it in a circle instead of current behavior.

2. When you plant some trees, then edit something else and come back, when you start planting again it creates another group of the same name and puts the trees in there. I think if the group exists it is should add them to the already existing group.

3. When creating the terrain there is a quality slider. It would be nice if this had edit fields connected to the slider so that I could enter exact values that I want. Otherwise it is sort of haphazard and difficult to map pixels back onto the mask and setting of texture tiling.

4. When painting trees, the tree layer seems to be set to an "invalid" value as the layer is blank/empty rather than default or another known layer.

5. When planting trees, sometimes the tree is embedded into the ground a bit, sometimes not. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen here. Ideally I guess the tree should be placed whereby the origin of the tree is set to the ground height at the selected point. This way the user can choose the origin of the tree and if they want it embedded into the ground or not would be up to them.

These are what I have so far. Will post others as and when I find them.

Cheers

12. bibbinator

bibbinator

Another problem, this one more serious I think. When I paint the trees it seems they lose their prefab link. Any change therefore to the base prefab mesh doesn't cause the game objects to be updated, and runtime loses the prefab optimization.

13. SJAM

SJAM

Hello Bibbinator, and thank for your review, except for "wonky" lol

So,

1 - " When I plant tree objects they sort of randomly are placed based on the cursor position.
    This would be fine if I could control it, but I don't see how?"
    It choosed the local axis of your object. When you create the object, you must place the local axis at the base of the object the randow rotation made the rotation on Y axis of this local axis (It the same thing, for unity terrain planting...)

2 - Yes, I forgot to fix this, I'll on future version.

3 - The problem for this, I can't anticipate the final conversion, it for that, I have made the summary at the end of the conversion. It depend of unity terrain detail.

4 - Strange... I will see that.

5 - Good idea ! I will made a value field on menu to control that.

"Another problem, this one more serious I think. When I paint the trees it seems they lose their prefab link. Any change therefore to the base prefab mesh doesn't cause the game objects to be updated, and runtime loses the prefab optimization."

Impossible, the tree stay the same of your prefab, my script change nothing, exept for "static" optimisation, but you can uncheck the box in menu.

I'll correct a few points which you speak.

Best Regards

14. bibbinator

bibbinator

1. When I click in the viewport the trees are created very far from my mouse click and randomly placed. Click in the same spot a few times and trees will be spawned many units away.

2. Great.

3. I don't know how you do the conversion, but the assuming you're sampling the Unity terrain and creating a fixed grid, this should be simple. If not, this would seem easier and more straightforward. E.g. In Unity terrain I can click and paint the geometry and when I create the T4M terrain the quality setting is the vert count in each dimension and then the source terrain heights are sampled at each vertex point. I think this is what you're doing anyway, or something similar, because you do generate a regular grid don't you?

4. Thanks.

5. Thanks.

[Loss of Prefab] Not impossible :) I simply followed your tutorial and all the trees in the tree list say they're clones, but they're names aren't blue in color and when I add a component to one of the trees it doesn't tell me I'm losing prefab. So they're not prefabs.

Cheers

15. minevr

minevr

16. SJAM

SJAM

1. Your geometrie must have the local axies on the base, with my trees this problem do not exist. The random rotation is not a random position, so your geometrie have not axies at the good place.

3. This feature will come soon

[Loss of Prefab] Ok, I didn't have understand, I forget to keep the prefab connection

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  17. minevr

minevr

Only unity terrain model to t4ms? not texture?

18. lionskin

lionskin

I found this system to be very helpful, especially when converting desktop games that have terrains to mobile. I managed to successfully convert the terrain from the 3D Fantasy Kit, and load the entire thing re-textured on all devices ios/android, took me about half hour working at the speed of a photo shopper on 10 redbulls :p. There were some kinks in the beginning, but have all been resolved with the great updates. My workflow is basically, sculpt the terrain using unity's terrain tools, convert to T4M, paint textures, place vegetation export out, and bang done, works like a charm everytime :) I will post screens later. Still deciding on my game concept :D.

Thanks Azert2k for this great tool, its been a lifesaver.

19. Foxxis

Foxxis

I agree that the tool is a valuable edition to my arsenal, and worth the price. However, a few small things could make the tool much better:

- Proper documentation. What exists is very poor.

- Code comments. Many developers will want to extend or modify how the system works. This gets harder when the code is hardly commented at all.

Please consider adding this for future updates. Thanks!

//Dan

20. Scryer

Scryer

I love the cell shading graphic screenshot you have, that's pretty intense! Good job!

21. SJAM

SJAM

Thank all,

@Foxis
    I will make that in future version (maybe on 1.5 version, if I have the time), no problem.

@Scryer
    Thank, like classic toon shader on mobile, it must be fixed again... Because the preview with emulator work perfect, but on mobile sometime it doesn't... I will try to fix that soon.

Update 1.51 is OUT

- Convertor : Now you can choice precisely the resolution of the T4M Terrain you want.
    - Painting : Adding Automatic save of the Mix texture
    - Planting : Fixing Lost Prefab optimisation
    - Planting : Fixing Groups Bug
    - Planting : Adding tweak for Y axis origin
    - Planting : Fixing Tree Preview Bug.
    - Menu : Some fix and some change
    - Menu : Add Shortcut to open T4M window (cmd+T or Ctrl+T)
    - Shader : Remove Toon Shader with Outline (Doesn't work correctly for now)
    - Shader : Fixing some Shaders

22. freaksed

freaksed

I am thinking of getting this but my question first is, is it possible to poll the t4m terrain for the material that is at a specific location. specifically i am trying to get walking sounds based on what is under the character (grass, dirt, rock). I saw in the documentation that it saves material coordinates so I assume it is accessible somewhere.

23. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

You can try on the Lagoon DEMO available for free on AssetStore, but the shader in this package is a 2 Textures Shader. I don't know the technic you use, to make this. For information, the textures on T4M are mix with differents colors in a single texture, like classic terrain for unity or with same technic.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  24. zyndro

zyndro

i'll definitely buy this this weekend, im having already a lots of headeaches trying to get my terrains done in blender and fighting with the textures.. i just cant figure out the workflow in blender/gimp and more than that, this Terrain System will save me a lot of time, that is very important to me.

Best regards and keep up the good work!

25. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Very nice, its definitely on my shopping list when it become more mature.
    I would love to see :

1. Cave portal to cave interior
    2. Road, railing, highway
    3. River
    4. Cliff overhang like this:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  26. SJAM

SJAM

@ Zyndro.
    Thank

@Da Bawss
    Possible update for Road, river. I will see this.

27. mehware

mehware

Looks Like Crytek for mobile :D

28. SJAM

SJAM

Thank (farcry inspiration) you can download this scene for free on assetstore, to look the quality directly on mobile device ;)

29. grfxman

grfxman

I downloaded the demo and built it and all I get is a blue screen?? I'm using unity iPhone basic license and fairly new at iPhone stuff. Any idea what I'm doing wrong??

30. SJAM

SJAM

Blue Screen on iPhone??

Please makde a screenshot to show me...

31. grfxman

grfxman

There is really nothing to screen shoot. It's just a light blue screen with no buttons or anything. The only thing I changed was I added my own Bundle Identifier so I could build it. I'm using a 3Gs iPhone to test with. When xCode pops up do i need to set anything special? I do see some notation that Base SDK is missing. But I have no idea why?

32. SJAM

SJAM

Change setup for Xcode in Unity.
    This scene don't need anything to work, like others scenes that you have build before. Strange thing.

Sorry but I don't know why you have this problem

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  33. grfxman

grfxman

Don't ask me why, But I deleted all the build files, Exited unity and rebuilt. Now it works :) LoL iphone will be the death of me :)

34. grfxman

grfxman

I do notice that it doesn't really exit when you close the app. I'm curios how to make sure it does.

35. whyroc

whyroc

Looks very cool, just a quick question, was looking at the versions license comparison chart for unity,

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses#iphone

Was surprised to see that iOS supports terrain now, is the chart referring to T4MS or is there something else?

36. User340

User340

Nope, terrain for iOS/Android's coming in 3.4. Very soon now.

37. grfxman

grfxman

That's kind of a bummer since I just bought this yesterday. Hopefully it will develop other useful tools.

38. grfxman

grfxman

I think you main site might be having problems. Been try yo load the page for 10 minutes.

39. SJAM

SJAM

Ok thank, I will see that ;)

40. grfxman

grfxman

I don't have an option under the windows menu to create terrain from page 1 of your instructions. Why ?

41. SJAM

SJAM

You have this menu in first part of menu when you select the unity terrain, it seems different (old tutorial, soon updated) but it is the same.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  42. grfxman

grfxman

This wasn't the case. It didn't work at all until I pulled your Editor folder into the Main "Assets" folder and restarted Unity.
    Also in the directions it says to hit a button to save your textures as you paint your landscape. The button in the tutorial doesn't exist in my Interface at all.

43. SJAM

SJAM

Yes, it's automatic now, you don't need to use it.

I wait the Unity 3.4 to make the update, and I will make a new tutorial, don't worry ;)

44. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I have a little request...ther is a way to increase the detail of painting tool.(PC Platform)
    I would paint a mesh but a brush effect is more big of the brush preview.
    I did try to divide the model mesh, but i didn't see any variations!
    No noticable effect also increasing the resolution of the splatmap
    Thanks for your big tool.

Max

45. SJAM

SJAM

Hello Max and thank,

To Increase Terrain Detail (while waiting the future update): Edit this file : TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js

Go to the ligne number 1113 : "resolutionV= GUILayout.HorizontalScrollbar (resolutionV,0.0,32,160);" and increase the number 160 (keep power of two number)

"I would paint a mesh but a brush effect is more big of the brush preview."
    The T4M work on object with Y planar UV, you must apply this to have a correct ratio.

I hope I have understand correctly your request ;)

46. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Thanks for rapid reply,
    I did try but nothing is changed.
    See attachment !
    I would paint in a smaller area like to cursor preview!
    My minimum area is that displayed by the attachment

EDIT: Sorry for my incomplete explanation ... I did use directly a mesh (not conversion from Unity terrain)

thanks
    Max

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  47. SJAM

SJAM

Ok, I understand, the problem is MaskTexture Resolution.

So, for PC/MAC/WEB (I will make a new Update soon)

Tweaking :

- Close the T4M menu
    - resize your mask texture with photoshop(for exemple) at 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 and save (you will lost a of little definition because the new size but you will keep layer coordonnate and your tiles size).
    - Now open the T4M, it will adapt automatically at the new resolution.

For next time to avoid this:

Edit this file : TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js

ligne 80 : var MenuReso : String[] = ["256x256", "512x512"]; change to var MenuReso : String[] = ["1024x1024", "2048x2048"];

ligne 1128 : finalReso=256; change to finalReso=1024;
    ligne 1131 : finalReso=512; change to finalReso=2048;

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  48. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

thanks Azert2k!

I did yet this tentative..(my first) but the minimum size of the brush effect on the mesh is still of the same dimension. (from 512 to 2048 no variation )

I found the only way to reduce the brush size...I divided the mesh and make a new UV.
    Thanks however!
    MAx

49. SJAM

SJAM

if you want resize the brush modify also ligne 542 : brushSize = EditorGUILayout.Slider("Brush Size",brushSize,1,36);

lol, if I continue to tweak a little more, I will finish the update ;)

50. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

I'm having some trouble with the tree painter tool.

Whenever I close and reopen a scene, it deletes all my tree objects

As of this morning it would only let me add one tree object. The Object to Add field won't let me drag objects into it, and if I use the selector to choose the object, nothing happens... the field just says "None".

Do you have any suggestions?