Search Unity

Awesomium 1.6: Free for Indies!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tinus, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinus

Tinus

Awesomium is one of a few webkit wrappers that allow you to render web content inside other applications. It has been discussed on here before, along with alternatives such as Berkelium and.. Argh, I forgot the name! From what I've seen Awesomium is the most robust implementation. Logical perhaps, since they went commercial.

Anyhoo, version 1.6 has been released. This brings features like a very solid C# wrapper, and a free indie licence for private and commercial use!

Wolfire have perhaps the best examples of what you can do with it within a game. They use it for their entire GUI (both editor and game).

Has anyone already used Awesomium or similar libraries to this extent within Unity? I sure know I want to, and I'm running out of excuses. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Oh, when I first saw the thread title I thought it was some kind of Unity-ready version of Awesomium.

It IS awesome... there is another game engine called DXStudio which is completely built around the thing... It basically gives you 2 main advantages:

One, you're building your project on top of a web engine, which means you get all the goodies you expect from it, like in-game web browsers, easy-peasy data streaming, and such...

Two, you get the complete, unmodified latest version of Mozilla Javascript, which means all the documentation resources on the net for JS are valid and good to use. It also does all the JS interpreting, so you can code in runtime using eval(), load in script files, and all that, just as you would in a web browser, by calling JS functions.

We used DXStudio here for our college graduation project, and it's a pretty good software... It doesn't have all the Unity eye-candy or the very easy 6-platform deployment thing, but it's quite nice at least as a more powerful 3D alternative for Flash :)

Cheers

3. adamkhrona

adamkhrona

Hey guys, main developer of Awesomium here. :)

Just wanted to let you know we also have an (experimental) Unity3D wrapper up on GitHub: https://github.com/khrona/UnityAwe

Should be pretty easy to use, just follow the directions, bundle the right dependencies, and then drag the WebTexture script to any element to make it display a web-page. If y'all have any trouble, just give me a holler at http://support.awesomium.com

Here's a screenshot from the Unity editor:

4. dissidently

dissidently

What a name. Say it with me. "Awesomium!". I don't really get what it does. Or what it is. But that word. I wanna tshirt. "made with Awesomium".

5. adamkhrona

adamkhrona

Haha, it's Awesome + Chromium. Chromium is the developer branch of Google Chrome, which Awesomium is derived from.

Awesomium basically lets you put web-pages in your game (as a texture wrapped to a mesh, on-screen GUIElement, or whatever). People usually use it for in-game web-browsing, embedded Flash video/games, and HTML-based UIs (you would write your entire UI using HTML/Javascript and overlay the web-page over your scene).

We actually did make t-shirts and wore them to GDC Online convention last year, was pretty awesome. ;)

6. Tinus

Tinus

Great stuff! I knew from your forums that you were working on this internally, but it's good to see it has materialized. Will test. :)

7. MrBodean

MrBodean

Adam this is directed to you, in first post it says and a free indie licence for private and commercial use! but from reading your web site it seems that the free indie license does not cover commercial use. Is this true or false?

8. adamkhrona

adamkhrona

You can use Awesomium for commercial use for free if you're an indie (made less than 100k last year). Sorry if the website's wording isn't clear enough, I'll get that fixed.

9. MrDude

MrDude

i have asked for this in so many threads, so many times and... wait... is that a Mac version of Unity I see showing a web page?!?

Oh, thank you Awesomium!
    If you won't sue me for copyright I'll gladly wear your name on my t-shirts :p
    ...now where did I leave that iron-on paper...?

Joking aside: Thanks for this. I will most certainly give this a go :)

10. npsf3000

npsf3000

Just for clarification - do you need unity pro for this? And what about web?

I assume it is yes and no, but want to be sure :)

11. MrDude

MrDude

This is covered on the website. You are right. It works via plugins which are pro only and which the web player does not support

12. DallonF

DallonF

Out of curiosity, can this work with Unity Free, or does it depend on plugin support in Pro?

Edit: oops, helps to read once in a while :p

13. adamkhrona

adamkhrona

Just tested it out with Unity Free under Windows and it seems to run fine in the editor. Our wrapper, AwesomiumMono, is not exactly a plugin, it works directly within any build of Mono.

14. Pedro Afonso

Pedro Afonso

15. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Wow, thats aweomse :D.

16. techmage

techmage

does it work on iOS and android?

17. Hemanth_DJ

Hemanth_DJ

Please make it updated to Unity 2017 series - Thank you.

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

This thread is seven years old.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

20. LaneFox

LaneFox

Please read thread dates and avoid necroposting.

Thanks.

21. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Dead project. Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.