Search Unity

Work in progress, world space mesh modifiers

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Mike Cona, May 9, 2011.

1. Mike Cona

Mike Cona

I'm busy building UniMorph's space warp systems, and I've just gotten the first world space modifier done, which is a force component you can apply to any game object and have it affect space warps which are designed to utilize them.

I'm thinking I'll just load that component type with configurations for other types of warps such as ripple/wave, etc which I will be adding soon

Here's a demo of a UniWarpForce component affecting the system's water modifier. More soon.

2. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I'm very interested in this. I've long wanted a surface ripple effect for waters because it doesn't matter how awesome your water looks if it's stiff as a board when characters enter it. A few questions.
    1) Does the object that ripples the mesh, e.g. your example cube in the vid, need any special components (e.g. scripts) or settings (e.g. tag, layer)?
    2) What is it the mesh reacts to? Colliders? Boundingboxes?
    3) How many objects can interact with the mesh plane and ripple it simultaneously? If more than one, how is the strain on the processor?
    4) Does the mesh, in this or and other UniMorph morphs, and if it has one, update its collider?
    5) How long is the discount going to last?

3. J_P_

J_P_

How demanding is this? Can iPhone handle it?

4. Mike Cona

Mike Cona

Hi Warped Axiom,

A few answers for your questions.

1. Yes the water modifier is built to react to UniWarpForce components, so anything with one of these applied will affect a game object running the water space warp.

2.Currently only the force components, more later tho.

3. Any number can interact, the increase in processing required is linear per object. It really comes down to settings so I hesitate to give any numbers as concrete answers. You'll have to scale it to your applications requirements and fit it into the rest of your processing budget.

4. No no colliders are updated. I hadn't really thought about doing that as of yet, but it could be added.

5. There were less than 7 sales left for the early adopter discount last I checked(yesterday), been too busy with this and my up and coming baby girl to check the internets much since then.

Thanks for your interest WarpedAxiom,

Lemme know if there's anything else I can do for ya.

Regards,
    Mike Conaway

5. Mike Cona

Mike Cona

JTown, well I don't know what kind of hardware iPhone is working with exactly, but a 50x50 grid with 5 forces modifying it was running at over 1100 FPS on my laptop, and it's not exactly a brute in terms of graphics. The quality of the simulation has to be scaled for phones like all other graphics.

I'm pretty sure it should operate on an iPhone however. I've been told iPods will run unity and I was planning on getting one to test with for some comparison.

But it SHOULD run on the iPhone.

Thanks m8,
    Mike Conaway

6. bigSky

bigSky

Wonderful, outstanding work with this tool!

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Actually it'll be quite fast on the iphones :) modifying meshes is a slow operation, however it can push verts like nobody's business. It's problem is in fill-rate and overdraw in general, which isn't anything you're causing issues with :)

you guys aware this system isn't just a whole pack of max spacewarps and that it does so much more?

* full morphing between animated skinned meshes, turn one mesh... into a completely new mesh!
    * texture morphing
    * mix spacewarps WITH the above

So its pretty cool indeed, in fact I looked at the competing systems available and while they are presented better in terms of exposure, this system outfeatures them.

8. Mike Cona

Mike Cona

Thanks Hippo,

I'm not stopping until I can't think of new features to add or ways to make it run faster :).

9. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I can well understand that. Updating colliders is, in my experience, extremely processor heavy. Just wanted to check if you had managed some sort of nifty workaround.

Can this be paid for with PayPal? It's my preferred method in that it is secured and hassle-free.

Congratulations, premature or belated, on the arrival of your brand new offspring!

10. bigSky

bigSky

And how! Great news for the iphone. Very much looking forward to the new tutorials.

11. J_P_

J_P_

Really wish I could afford to be an early adopter right now -- have a feeling I could think of some neat uses for this for future projects :)