Search Unity

3DS Max: Export Multiple Animations in Single FBX

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by PizzaGuy213, May 7, 2011.

1. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Hi!

I was wondering, how do I make an FBX file with multiple animations?
    I'm trying to hook up a standard 3d person controler to a character. In the prefab the construction model worker contains multiple animations. I'd like to have it set up the same way. I've been looking for an hour now, and I can't even find where I can name the one animation in the FBX, they all keep ending up being called Take001. Can someone show me the light?

Thanks in advance!!

2. makan

makan

I think you should make your animations on a single time line, for example from 0 to 10 make run animation then from 15 to 25 make the jump animation..then in unity edit....

3. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

If that was the case, it would make me very sad.. There must be a way, mayve some Merge program or something.. Anyone any idea?

4. makan

makan

We have Motion Mixture on 3Ds Max which i usually save my animations there and add them to my rigged model but for unity i don't know if it can support or not you should give it a try..

5. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

From what I read, only Blender has this option.. Hmmm, guess Im gonna have to use the way they rigged the Soldier in Bootcamp, instead of the Standard 3d person controler asset.

6. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

I almost always create all my animations in a single 3dsmax file and export to fbx using the method makan said. Create all your animations on the same timeline then split up the animations in Unity, making sure you split them up accordingly to the timeline in 3dsmax.

Read more about importing animations here:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Animations.html

Cheers,

Roald

7. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

Unity can import multiple takes from a single FBX file, but 3dsMax doesn't work or export that way. Using multiple files on multiple animation on a timeline is the solution.

8. tobydog20

tobydog20

What if the animations are for different objects?
    I have several independent bones (skinned to the same object) that I need to all be on the same timeline as their respective animations overlap, but since they are different objects without dependencies, I cannot do this.
    Is the answer then to import each bone's animation separately and play them simultaneously in Unity?

Thanks.

9. emulestudio

emulestudio

evans_unity187 likes this.
  10. Mavrick

Mavrick

in 3ds max 9 and afterwards there is load and save animations, works nicely for bones. what you have to do is make a animation then select all the bones and go to Animation> Save Animation> and set the frame time line and export. And also be sure to check in the key per frame, And name the Animation file such as run,walk etc. Export different animation file (*.XAF). Now open the another file with same name and exact bone settings. just select all the bones(not the Mesh) and load animation , check in Absolute and check in insert. check the image attachment you will get the idea!!!

Attached Files:

11. Tysoe

Tysoe

In max I had no problems at all stringing a set of character animations together in one long sequence, importing to Unity and creating named tracks with keyframe ranges. I can see it being a pain if your using character studio footsteps to animate your biped. I use softimage CAT rigs and their animation editing tools. CAT has been integrated into max for at least a couple of versions now and is MUCH better for game dev character animation that biped. Even has a nice procedural animation editor to get you started which includes strafe parameters.

In Cat you just create your animations in layers and turn off layers you don't want blended into the current time frame, kind of like non linear video editing tools so dead easy to set up a sequence.

12. prefix

prefix

Tysoe, Im using CAT now... after watching all the tutorials possible, I dont see where you can put the "Seperate Layers" in 1 time line. I see where you can free form. But in freeform, even after going back to your pose in between animations, it trys to blend them all into 1 sequence. Please elaborate on the actual layers. Thanks in advance!

13. MikeD76

MikeD76

dinamo3d and Hagane3d like this.
  14. fano_linux

fano_linux

15. hesa2020

hesa2020

I export models from 3DS MAX To MotionBuilder, Then i can create multiple animations for 1 file, And unity get all animations seperated when imported :p

16. OldSalty

OldSalty

In Blender you have what's called the "Action Editor" Which allows you to build a library of animations, that when selected, will be the only animation that plays on the timeline. This makes it easy and efficient to organize looping character animations. It also imports directly into unity with all the animations named and their length of frames set. You don't need multiple applications or plugins and Blender is free. I would suggest to use Blender, even if you just import your character to rig and animate or just animate, after all key frames are the same in any application.

17. evans_unity187

evans_unity187

18. Haristess

Haristess

Just to update this thread.
    There is no need to use motion builder if your using 3dsmax.

1. Simply create an animation on 1 timeline
    2. select the entire character and/or object with bones and all.
    3. go to - Animation - Save Animation
    4. select the segments required on the timeline for the part of the animation you wish to save. ie 0-100
    5. save it as a .xaf file.

6. open a scene of your character/object you wish to merge the animation onto.
    7. go to - Animation - Load Animation.
    8. select your saved . xaf
    9. select the "insert At Frame value (in which you want you animation added along your timeline)
    10. let it load. it will load the animation per every keyframe.
    11. once you have imported all your animations onto you character/object, export to FBX, go into Unity 3d and load the FBX there.

19. unity_q491c0Gbgz8u_Q

unity_q491c0Gbgz8u_Q

now how to do it with morpher animation on it? Any suggestions? :)

20. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

3ds max now let's you define animation clips, just like in Unity, when exportering. I'm not sure if this helps a lot or not though, you have to do the same work I guess, unless this avoids work when importing things multiple times.

It is found under export > real time exporter.

With Animation Clips support, you can export multiple clips as a single FBX file or as multiple files. You can set the start and end frames for each clip, and preview to make sure it is correct.
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...B0258B21-83AE-4DF6-B7AB-3FA7F63F371A-htm.html

I personally would prefer it if you van just have separate animations, so you can use out of range repeats and time-shift animations...