Search Unity

Projector + Rendertexture??

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by konedj, Apr 30, 2011.

1. konedj

konedj

Hi, im trying to make a water trail (it is made by the ship)
    I have attached a projector in one empty gameobject inside and the gameobject is a children of the ship (because the ship is moving all the time, also the projector..)

Well i don't know how to do the rendertexture thing... and now it is projecting the texture to all the water surface..

A picture of what i have:

And this is a draw of what i want (the white thing)

2. konedj

konedj

nothing?

3. creat327

creat327

you just add a projector, it shouldn't be hard. the main thing you need is a trail texture and then it's a piece of cake.

if fact i need to do it myself, so if you have a trail texture and post it here, i can post my solution with it :)

4. nekokiller

nekokiller

I have the some problem, does anyone has solution ?

How to make "trail texture" ?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. andeeeee

andeeeee

A particle system will probably give a better effect than a projector, assuming the sea surface is fairly smooth. Start with the default particle system (menu: GameObject > Create Other > Particle System) and set the Y and Z dimensions of the emitter's ellipsoid to 0. This will make the particles emit from a single line. Now, if you set the tangent velocity's Z component to a small value, you will see the particles slowly drift outward from the line. If you parent this emitter object to the boat and position it at the back, you will get quite a nice spreading foam trail as the boat passes through the water.

6. immFX

immFX

unfortunately, this doesn't look good at all when there are waves in the ocean shader... So, the projector is the only way to go.

(but works OK without projector in the Water3 shader)

7. creat327

creat327

@immFX mind sharing your way? texture or particle texture...?

8. immFX

immFX

I use particle texture but it's still wip. Andeeee's method above is pretty accurate