Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender vs DeleD

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by prophet, Apr 27, 2011.

1. prophet

prophet

So, I am trying to figure out which tool to use and focus on learning. I has started considering Blender as the modeller I was going to use but then found DeleD and liked it's simplicity, but a little cumbersome on some things. What would people suggest for the long term? I know Blender has alot of abilities and the 2.5x version has alot better interface now.

Some info on me. I am not an artist nor do I plan on making epic models. I want to make simple models and skin them the easiest way available. The current game I am trying to work on is a very lose based clone of Total Annihalation. I plan on making models as simple as the ones in that game. Low poly and texture size.

Thanks for any input. I just want to get decent with a tool and not have to learn anything new anytime soon lol.

2. RoyS

RoyS

I took a look at it, too. I think the reason I didn't go with it was because it didn't export to fbx. http://www.delgine.com/index.php?filename=deled_features But it does export to .x collada and obj (also see plugins page) and Unity can import collada and obj. I'm not sure how well Unity can import their collada as it depends on how well they wrote the export. I haven't tested the collada pipeline yet. So basically, obj is the only option to directly getting your model into Unity.

3. prophet

prophet

I should try to obj export, since the collada export seemed to have an issue with my skins when importing.

4. flim

flim

I am also considering which one should use.
    I tried the Collada export tonight, and the sample model export and import into Unity properly.

5. jaqknife

jaqknife

I personally like blender's functionality better than Deled but I can't get my meshes into Unity from blender and when I export as .obj or whatever they look all messed up in unity. I've used Deled to make some models for game mods and I am considering using it for this as well now.

6. prophet

prophet

I am still learning both. The only similarity for me so far is that none of my models bring thier skins with them lol.

7. the_Simian

the_Simian

jaqknife- try using the fbx format in the export menu. if it isnt there, you need to install python

8. LordMoggy

LordMoggy

Good to see some of you like DELED!