Search Unity

My first Unity Racing game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ArnoldWong, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

Hi, I am new here. :eek:

Here is a preview video of my school project, which is a racing game with Unity.

Currently only the Main Menu, track, AI and the HUD have to be done, maybe a replay system if I have time. Physics scripting is basically done, hopefully I will add tyre wear, damage and fuel later.

and some screenshots:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    adriansnetlis likes this.
  2. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Dude, nice!

Did you make all this stuff yourself. If so, color me incredibly impressed. Looks very slick.

3. hizral

hizral

WOW thats all I can say right now....u the man.

4. alex.loren

alex.loren

ArnoldWong, I am very impressed to say the least, amazing job thus far! Only thing I can point out if I may, is the sounds of the back pressure on the up shift. I have spent a fare share of my time at the tracks, both in and out of cars, though I will admit none as extravagant as that in the video, but the noise was never so prominent in anything I have been around or in. That aside, all I can say is fantastic job!

5. NathanAu

NathanAu

Nice work, finally some quality.

Really like ya dash.

6. Yorick2

Yorick2

Amazing job!

7. NomadKing

NomadKing

Visuals and gameplay both look really nice. Great job

8. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

programming and the car model are done by me, the textures of the car are created by Wim Bries of my modding team. The track is taken from rFactor for testing and I will start a new one in this week.

9. makan

makan

Very nice job

10. Nightshade1

Nightshade1

How much time did this take this looks awsome cant wait to see what it looks like full version and the best part the car drives itself no hands!

11. MgBag

MgBag

I've got no words for you. That's really amazing.

12. Waanders

Waanders

Looks incredible! I especially like it how the colors have been carefully selected in the environments, making it look very realistic. Also, he shaders rock.

13. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Any AI?
    Damage model?

Is this for release or is it just for fun?
    Why would I buy this over Need for Speed: Shift 2 or GT5?

Sorry to be a downer just that you really need to ask yourself these questions when making games otherwise you'll wonder why no one buys it when it's released.

Looks nice though. Keep up the good work.

14. Jordii

Jordii

Looks AMAZING! Beside that, I fully agree on alex.loren's comment on the sound. It was the only thing that struck my attention as being annoying.

15. FabCon

FabCon

Es muy fácil criticar Antonio Blackett , pero en su desarrollo se nota que le llevan ventaja.
    Buen trabajo ArnoldWong.

It is very easy to criticize Antonio Blackett, but note that its development will take advantage.
    ArnoldWong good job.

16. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

It's a school project of myself, though I guess I will release it for free.
    I will do the AI and maybe damage model if I have enough time, cause I have to submit the game to my school by the end of May.
    Actually the cars are from my mod project for rFactor2 which calls "World Super GT 2", and the cars are not less detailed than any games released out there, especially when it comes to the interiors =P
    For progress of my mod: http://www.bsimracing.com/?cat=40

17. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Looks sounds great man! I did notice some sorting issues on the trees though, but that`s a Unity issue I guess. I would try to use a transparent cut-out material instead of the "normal" transparency material. That should fix the sorting issues I think.

Keep up the great work keep us posted!

Roald

18. cupsster

cupsster

looks nice overall keep it goin' you really have something to showcase

19. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

Car Setup Menu and the HUD are fully functional now, I will upload some previews after I am done with taking photos for a street circuit of the game.

20. HolBol

HolBol

Dude- don't give it free!
    I would pay standard game price for something as good as this.
    EDIT: Is the track sazuka, Japan?

21. carking1996

carking1996

Very nice. Btw. How do you get that nice lighting(outside lighting)?

22. Majatek

Majatek

I'm pretty sure that if he wanted to sell it, he would - But he's going to do what he wants. Can't exactly tell him what to do when it comes to releasing A+ quality material like this. ;)

23. Toad

Toad

Great stuff! Very impressive. :)

Well done.

24. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

Here are the previews of the HUD and gameplay with no driving aids, with TC and ABS enabled.

25. vreference

vreference

Wow - that is the nicest looking effort I've seen come out of unity to date. Are you using your own tire model? Let me glance at your physics code and I'll be your bff =)

I suspect the Unity guys would be willing to make some arrangement with you if you own all of those assets.

26. dog

dog

web demo ?

27. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

It's based on the Pacejka 96 model.

28. carking1996

carking1996

Cool! Any chance of a WebPlayer?

29. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks even better now with the GUI. Really impressive work :)

30. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

First Run of the AI, with Honda HSV-010

31. chclau

chclau

All I can say is

WOW man!

32. Pulov

Pulov

I'm shocked:eek:

This is probably the most pro stuff I´ve seen in Unity.

Congrats

Edit: Hope this arrive to the Unity Store at an affordable price and it keeps improving here and there.

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looks like a good start, but still a long way to go on the physics side as the game looks like something more simulation alike yet the physics don't seem to be even up to "fun arcade" as speed + sand + behavior looks more mario kartish as far as I can say from the video. But its definitely a good base to build the rest upon step by step :)

Pretty good done art at least in this camera position too.

so congrats :)

34. vreference

vreference

Probably the single most advanced tire model to be implemented in Unity to date and you call it out for being MarioKart? LOL

It appears there's no surface system for grass/dirt or anything else (marbles/dirty tires) at the moment but even compared to SimBin titles, it's looking like a pretty impressive place to start to me.

35. NomadKing

NomadKing

The visuals look even better now we can see them outside of the 'in-car' view as well :)

36. robhuhn

robhuhn

Impressive! What AI system do you use? Is it waypoint based or does the agents have whiskers to detect the track?

37. vreference

vreference

After another viewing of the video to try and determine what dreamora was seeing, it occurs to me that you need to let someone who really sucks drive the car and get some video of that complete with understeering right off the track and accidental oversteer j-turns. Your driving is too perfect and it looks arcade, you are hitting every apex at 10/10ths and coming out just barely flirting with the grass on the other side. Turn the ABS and TCS off and let someone embarrass themselves with it.

To answer the question asked earlier as to who would play this - the answer could be a lot of people if you can get multiplayer working well. All the gMotor2 based sims have had absurdly bad multiplayer (although I'm not sure about RaceRoom or whatever) and LFS is not aging well with it's absent dev team. Online sim racers are pretty much forced to go to iRacing which is subscription based and doesn't cater to anyone looking to jump in have a quick race.

Unfortunately rFactor2 is coming and I'm forced to assume they well address rFactor's intensely stupid multiplayer (The game can't load new cars unless you rejoin the race - come the $%# on, what is this 1995?) so get your multiplayer working quick and send some love letters to http://www.insidesimracing.tv ...add a few more cars and tracks if you can get the assets and see if you can get some people hooked?

38. Ravel

Ravel

Nice project there! Anyway about releasing it for free, i think it's a good idea! I mean these days everyting is for sale, and there is so rare stuff that is given out for free, respect for those who code for the comunity to grow, i mean it's great to have some big projects for free, this way there is a way for other developers to learn and respect each other, instead limiting developers with a price tag.

Now dont get me wrong, it's absolutely right to sell your project, and this project seems to be in a really good condition quality.
    But it's very great if there is no need for money and this kind of project is released for free!
    I think that in unity3d comunity, your name will always be one of the top ten hall of fame names lol

Also i would like to know if your project is based on the alternative physics model, that comes with the unity3d car tutorial?
    Since it also uses pacejka etc, but it's not optimized for gameplay and i think it's missing pacejka combination also..
    Or if you wrote everything from scratch, then what do you use for your wheels? Spheres or wheel colliders with forces instead of friction values?

Once again great looking project. Oh and a small little favour, could you drift it with a nissan and make a video of it or a web player or both? :)

39. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

If you sold this as a complete tutorial, i would be interested.... or gave it... I would be even more interested haha.

40. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

Wow, this has commercial quality. Are you going to sell your game? You probably could, the quality is there.

41. Pedro Afonso

Pedro Afonso

wow, that's awesome.
    I'm currently working on a race sim game too and would like to ask you how good are the physics?

They seem very realistic to me, but others said that they aren't (although I think they are...lol)

42. Kokumo

Kokumo

Really great stuff man!

43. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

The game is updated for a lot.........and now it is equipped with gtpdz's HDR plugin.

Attached Files:

44. Pulov

Pulov

Cant wait for a new vid with the updated stuff!!
    Elite level project!!.

I Believe that Hdr plugin uses custom shaders, did you found tricky the process of swapping the materials?? Performance drop was noticeable???

45. Pedro Afonso

Pedro Afonso

Are you going to sell or give for free the game?
    What about source code, will you sell it too?

46. NomadKing

NomadKing

I just might have to make this my new wallpaper ;)

47. ArnoldWong

ArnoldWong

The game itself will be released to the public for free. And no source code will be sold.

48. Pulov

Pulov

Hey Arnold, so, the source wont be accesible neither freely or paid I guess. Cause for the game itself I understand the playable-compiled stuff. Is that right?

49. philieboy1234

philieboy1234

this look legend porbably best car game ever better than need for speed. Just asking are you going to post the limk of this download in this forum

50. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

It makes sense that for a school project, the code wouldn't be accessible. That would be opening up cheating in future years, or would even mean ArnoldWong risks putting his marks in jepordy.

However, I may be (and really, really hope!) that I am wrong on this.