Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VUE to Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Hotsun, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hotsun

Hotsun

Hi,
    My friend works with VUE well and as it is mostly for making terrains so it is better than Unity in this part.
    Well I wanna know is there anyway to import VUE's terrain to Unity and can we edit them with unity?
    I am going to start a very important project and if importing terrains form VUE and editing them Unity solve then I tell my friend come to our group.
    If there is no way then I should work on terrains in Unity by myself.

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

If there is a way to export your VUE terrain as OBJ or FBX then you're good to go. However, you may want to keep an eye on poly count.

3. Hotsun

Hotsun

Well importing is not enough.
    We wanna make terrains in VUE then in game designing if I see it needs any change I do it in Unity.It's hard to make exactly what I want somewhere(VUE) and use somewhere else(Unity).
    And because our project is not a game for people and it's a show case of our abilities there is no problem with poly count.

4. LordMoggy

LordMoggy

why not do all the mods in Vue and when happy export as obj etc into unity.

5. Hotsun

Hotsun

Because while designing the level I see somewhere should raise a little and if I wanna do it in VUE I have to tell my friend(he has VUE not me) raise that part and after getting that huge file(terrain)I see it has raised a lot so I have to tell him to fix it and again again again.

Well, that friend is not here in my house and we have to talk about it on the net and it's hard for us.
    So if Unity can't edit VUE's terrain I have to think about a better way.

6. Anthony85

Anthony85

As far as i am aware, E-on Software have not included FBX support in Vue, at least, i can't find it listed on their website. Even the Import/Export module (which adds a lot of extra I/E plugins and features to Vue) does not add FBX support.

And Unity does not natively support the .VUE file format, so editing terrains back and forth without using Import/Export is not possible, unless you create a hi-res hieght map in Vue then use that hieght map to create your terrain in unity. (I know it's not what you're after, but it's one of the best options)

7. ant001

ant001

hotsun> its a nightmare, it took me some real messing around to just get vue to bake into maya (once u have it as maya poly's you cant re-edit in vue's). i was making trees, total downer all the Joint data is lost on conversion to poly data- duh. i gave up on vue's in the end and went back to building trees maya style, vue just doesn't have a clean workflow that i could find (i only give it a few days of tinkering).

i think you can export the hightmap from vue's and use that on a unity terrain?

8. afalk

afalk

Just export the height map ! Works like a charm. you control the overall resolutions w/in Unity and can edit the map later. Pick up Tom's terrain tools and you can create export splat maps as well and bring over your planned ecosystem areas as well. You do not need to export the actual geometry from Vue.

9. Hotsun

Hotsun

Well,After reading your answers and talking about it with my friend then we decided to do the height map in VUE (Because of good quality)then I do the terrains by myself.

Thanks everyone.

10. Wickedsunny

Wickedsunny

Where will I find this Tom's Terrain Tools?

11. artzfx

artzfx

12. Wickedsunny

Wickedsunny

Thanks Man. I found it.

13. komradkyle

komradkyle

Thanks for the simple solution afalk. Do you still use a similar method?