Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

render to texture on IOS

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Gigiwoo, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Heya,

If you are trying to do effects like the full screen effects or post processing or the like, how do you do them on IOS (ipad or iphone)? The unity build process tells me that the ios cannot handle render to texture. Is there a way to get the results of a render process back and use that as input to the next step without doing a render to texture?

I hope I am using the right terminology.

Gigiwoo.

2. Jessy

Jessy

Are you using pre-Unity 3 Unity iPhone? The only reason you wouldn't be able to use them with the current version of Unity is that you don't have an iOS Pro license.

3. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Heya,

I have ios 3.3 pro + ios Pro - it was expensive, so I'm sure :). The issue was that when I started my posteffect, it was calling, 'CheckSupport(true)', which meant that the PostEffectBase.js class was checking that the ios supports DEPTH textures, which apparently it doesn't. Fortunately, I don't need a depth texture, so calling CheckSupport(false) got me much farther :).

Gigiwoo.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. Malveka

Malveka

Gigiwoo, I'm uncertain from your post whether you're seeing issues in the editor or on the device. If it's in the editor, try changing the Edit->Graphics Emulation setting. Certain emulation settings may not support the effects you want to use. Also, have a look at this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/65382-iOS-Pro-and-Post-Processing-Effects

Hope this helps.

Mal