Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Water for Indies and Pros.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unity3dx, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unity3dx

unity3dx

Smart Water is ready. It is Indie and Pro compatible. It also works on iPhone, iPad, iPod with OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenGL ES 1.1.

All the videos and pictures are working the same for Indie/Free version of Unity and Mobile OpenGL ES 2.0 phone. Smart Water is delivered with +10 water presets (Tropical, Darkcity, Ocean, Iced Water etc...)

Compatibility (some devices needs to be confirmed)

Open GL ES 1.1 shaders
    # Android 1.6
    # iOS for iPad, iPhone, 2G, 3G and iPod Touch generation 1 2

Open GL ES 2.0:
    # iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 3rd generation and later
    # Android platform since Android 2.2[10]

Basic:
    MAC/PC/Web

Working on a PRO version, very soon...

You can buy it here. (instant download). or in the Asset Store here

Features:

* Drag and Drop water material that can be applied on any mesh (animated or not)
    * huge compatibility with all Mobiles and non Mobiles applications
    * version of the water can be set at run-time, no need to have several builds.
    * underwater with rays of god (even on non plane shapes) in all versions
    * total control of the refraction, reflection, caustics, transparency, colors, etc... thru a top-notch real-time editor.
    * save your new waters in a prefab, you can drag and drop in any project.
    * simple to use even for non programmer.
    * can be used for any kind of water, Ocean and very large water surface, or glass of wine.
    * can mix several type of water at the screen, without limits, that can interpenetrate and can have totally different look, each different water has an underwater effect...
    * FPS Fly camera presets.

Here is the iPhone, iPad, Android version

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. creat327

creat327

does it work on iphone?
    I see the shader has 4 textures... which usually means now. Can i be reduced to 2 textures?

3. MrBodean

MrBodean

Fabulous, just bought it, been waiting for this :) Well done.....

4. Lypheus

Lypheus

Sold!

5. bgivenb

bgivenb

Wow! Am I just imagining, or are those caustic effects I see?

6. nikko

nikko

I will do a specific version for PRO and iPhone. The current version needs Shader 2, and uses...hum a lot of textures...

Also I apologizes for the lack of docs, I will update with more docs and tutorials very soon.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. afalk

afalk

Nikko, looks lovely. I had really expected you to roll this out with a similar price to your other shaders. $89-100 is rather out of my price range for a shader package but it really does look gorgeous !

8. brn

brn

Looks great, Nice one!

9. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks great!

10. sawfish

sawfish

No offense, but I'm pretty sure that goes against Asset Store policy (it can't be any more expensive than it is offered elsewhere).

11. ivanzu

ivanzu

I think its true Asset store is not other country so that prices can be different.

12. nikko

nikko

One customer found a problem with some MAC with Radeon Video card.

If you have a flat blue water, it is because of a fog issue.
    Edit the 2 shaders: SmartWater Indie.shader and SmartWater Inv.shader, find the line

and replace it with

This will fix the problem. Apparently NVidia Video cards does not have this problem...

13. unity3dx

unity3dx

Also I checked on my iPad and the water works with no changes with OpenGL ES 2,0!!! That means that you can get this water on mobile devices with the latest iOS!
    I will update the project with specific iPhone project very soon.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  14. sebako

sebako

looks nice. one question ... how is it with the wave scales? can they be set like the unity water does? i need some really huge waves ^^

15. gecko

gecko

Looks great--can you give some idea of the performance impact? How does it compare to Indie Water and Pro Water3?

16. unity3dx

unity3dx

This water will not work for you. There is no vertex animation, it is visually faked. That's why this water is very easy and fast. Vertex animation is adding a lot more complication, and CPU/GPU heavy calculation (FFT).

17. sebako

sebako

to bad, well maybe i can just use an animated mesh and put it on it, i will see. Thanks for the info.

18. Hans

Hans

Great Unity3dx looking forward to the tuts, especially creating a New project with nothing but a blank scene, and how to install it into a blank project with out the other crap.

19. unity3dx

unity3dx

The performance is the same as 2 Bump Maps. Much faster than Pro Water 3, because no GPU/CPU wave calculation. I see no frame rate difference with or without the water on PC and MAC. I am doing tests on iPAD and I will let you know the FPS I can have on iPAD1 and iPhone 4 very soon.

20. unity3dx

unity3dx

It works with OpenGL ES 2.0. That means all iPhone 3GS, 4G, iPAD using the latest iOS and OpenGL ES2.0 compatible. Old iPhones support is discontinued in Xcode 4 by Apple, so I will not do a version for 2G, and 3G.

21. Anthony85

Anthony85

I must admit, i'm very impressed with this, i've always found the indie water that ships with unity to be very limited, and i can't use the pro water3, since i don't have the pro version of unity.

It's a REAL shame I don't have paypal, otherwise i'd get this in a heartbeat.

22. gecko

gecko

Purchased it, and it looks promising. But it won't let me change the Y position. I need to raise it to a couple different positions to fit into my terrain, but it just reverts to 0 when I type in a different number (and nothing happens when I try to drag it in the scene). Can it be positioned at different heights?

23. unity3dx

unity3dx

There is a checkbox in the first panel that unlock the Y position. Btw I also added a 10 pages PDF to document the product in the v1.1.
    V.1.1 is released and has a shader issue with Radeon cards fixed. Customers can update using the Update page here.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  24. angel_m

angel_m

Can anyone tell me how is the performance of this water compared to Unity Standard Pro Water (not water3)?

25. unity3dx

unity3dx

The shader uses 64 instructions and is optimized. Almost nothing is on CPU, most things are cached in Start function, no string compare, or component find in update, with or without water does not change the FPS on my computer.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  26. box01

box01

Can you explain the process of applying smart water to a arbitrary Mesh? I couldn't find any information on that.

27. unity3dx

unity3dx

Very simple.
    1- load a sample scene.
    2- select the Smart Water Mesh renderer
    3- change the plane Mesh with anything else.
    4- find a way to have a collider that will works for that mesh (so that the underwater will collide correctly)

done

You can see me doing it a little bit fast in the video about in the middle. I browse for a mesh and change it to a torus etc...

BTW I posted 3 tutorials on http://www.unity3dx.com, and you can check in the first post of this thread the 'making of' integration of Smart Water to the Unity's Island Demo.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  28. angel_m

angel_m

Is the Smart Water Pro version (with real time reflection effect, etc.) going to be a free update or a separate paid product?

29. unity3dx

unity3dx

PRO and Mobile version will be separate products, but there will be crossgrade pricing between them so that the owner of one product don't have to pay the full price for each. PRO and Indie will have separate features. It can be useful to have a scaled down low CPU/FPU indie version and use PRO water just for the main plane for example.

PRO will be around $120, so either you buy Indie and crossgrade for $30 to PRO later, or you wait for PRO release (in at last one month, maybe 2), you will pay the same. I think I should specify this on the website, I feel that some are waiting the PRO version to buy. In fact it will make no difference in your wallet to buy Indie now and get PRO later.

30. Rusted_Games

Rusted_Games

How much will cost the Mobile version?

31. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

Since it uses a 64-bit instruction set, does this mean that it will only work on 64-bit systems? What about us that use a 32-bit system? (I know, I need an upgarde haha).

32. disaldo

disaldo

Hi

I realise that you are most probably a busy guy but I am having trouble downloading the update. The system does not recognise my transaction ID, I have raised a ticket on your site but had no reply. So seeing that you are active here I thought I would mention it. My tracking id is from your site is: XQVGU74A3W

Thanks in advance

Ste

33. creat327

creat327

pro and mobile? there is a mobile version? :)
    any words on whether it works with iphone 2g? I would love to use it onmy iphone game

34. unity3dx

unity3dx

iPhone 2G is impossible. With iPhone 2G you can only have 1 transparent texture with caustics for example, very easy to do.
    Smart Water needs OpenGL 2.0, so it will work on 3GS, iPhone4, iPad1, iPad2 and iPod new generation. Sorry about that. I might do a water for 2G, $10 in the Asset Store, just to cover the time spend in packaging it if so people are requesting it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  35. unity3dx

unity3dx

Lol, no it is working on any system, what I said is that it uses 64 assembly instruction for the GPU. Shader 2 are limited to 64 instructions per pass. Nothing to do with 64/32 bits system ;)

36. creat327

creat327

@unity3dx water for 2g, yes please. If the 1 transparent texture with caustics is fast and does look more or less realistic... because the current water system included on unity does not look remotely close to water on a 2g device.

37. Demostenes

Demostenes

Good work, I am looking forward to pro version, this looks really usefull.

Anyway I cant resist and must troll you little bit. Do you remember, who wrote this?

"good program, but expensive. "
    "Sorry but $90 is too expensive. "

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/80...n-Asset-Store-soon/page2?highlight=volumetric

You were writing to almost each topic, how everything is expensive, how author should sell it for $20, because he will send more and earn more and when you finally have something worth selling, you put same (criticized) price range. Looking to problem from the other side changes opinions, isnt it? :))

38. makan

makan

Did you guys write it with HLSL Shader?

39. unity3dx

unity3dx

Thanks for trolling me, but I am Unity3dx and you speak about Nikko. Nikko has been excluded from the forums for having posted an hilarious (but unauthorized) post about selling 'beeeeep' for gold... I will not say anything else as I am effraid to commit a 'lese majesty' crime and get the same punition.

Seriously I might do some promotions... so that everyone can buy. But it will take sometime, usually when the sales are low and I need to buy an iPad 2 for example.

40. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am sorry, I thought nikko is author, now i understand :)

41. angel_m

angel_m

I have watched the Island demo tutorial and I am afraid Smart water can be difficult to integrate in my project.
    My project have several cameras, all third person, one for the player walking and others for the player on vehicles. When the player is on foot, he can swim underwater, and as I said it is a third person camera positioned behind the character.
    My camera scripts are custom, not the standard ones, and of course I need to use them so, how can this be integrated with the camera provided with Smart water, especially the underwater camera?
    Thanks.

42. unity3dx

unity3dx

removed

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  43. box01

box01

OK, I have got my custom mesh with smart water all working fine, I had to use my own water meshes transform info thou, so the scale of the water object is not longer 1000, this I think caused the texture size of the water material no longer correct, But I have not paprameters to change the sizes of the textures being used , they all seems to be controlled by code, Can you verify this ?

Thanks

44. unity3dx

unity3dx

Actually the underwater camera is just a script that check the collision with the water and switch to underwater. There should not be any problem to integrate the water to your project, just as any other water. The problem is the same. You need to switch to underwater when the camera collide with the water (not when the character is underwater).

You can also drag and drop the Underwater camera script and SmartWater helper on your camera. Then drag and drop the sun/waterplane and it should work. I am %100 sure that if you can use Unity Water, you can use Smart Water. If you have any difficulties, just install some remove control system like VNC and I will fix it for you.

45. unity3dx

unity3dx

Did you tried to change the value in the Setup from 1000 to whatever is your new scale? This should resize the textures correctly. If not, can you make a small demo asset, so that I can check and fix it. The water should work at any scale. If you can attach it to an email and send to nikko at unity3dx dot com? or open a ticket and attach it to a ticket on unity3dx.com website?

46. disaldo

disaldo

Not wishing to interupt the thread however I raised a ticket three days ago regarding downloading the update and have still not had a response and the nikki at unity3dx dot com has bounced back whilst trying to chase the ticket up.

Can you help please

Ste

47. unity3dx

unity3dx

Sorry about that, the ticket system was not sending the notification... I just spent 2 hours to reply to all the tickets.
    Btw our ticket system (now that it is repaired!) is the best way to troubleshoot and fix issues. We have many requests from everywhere and we might miss something. Our ticket allows us to keep track, attach document etc...

48. nikko

nikko

New version released, 1.41 with Island demo included and a FPS character camera included.
    Also I send everything to the Asset Store, and hope to see it live asap.

49. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am looking forward to pro version, unity pro water is now useless and unity support sucks, so for us is much more interesting some custom product from somebody, who will actually solve problems and further develop it.

50. angel_m

angel_m

Yes I agree, Pro version is necessary but always if the performance is better or at least the same than unity pro standard water (not water 3) with real reflection and refraction included.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.