Search Unity

Nested Prefabs

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Babaa, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Babaa

Babaa

This post is old and outdated. Goto: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/131685-Prefabs-in-Prefabs-plugin-available-now-at-the-Asset-Store

Hello Community,

I've written an extension to Unity that allows the user to have nested prefabs. No extra work, just import the package and you can have your prefabs nested.

There were two features that I really missed in Unity:
    1. To have prefabs that contained other prefabs.
    2. If I have an prefab that contains a model with animations. When I add new animations to that model the prefabs does not get updated.

Both of these features are fixed with this extension.

It still needs some tweeking but I will complete it this weekend and then submit it to the asset store. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in beta-testing it, PM me or email me at "johan.baba.norberg@gmail.com" and I will send you the package "as is".

Here is a video of it: I hope it's good enough quality to see what is going on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydMt1-deTI&feature=youtube_gdata

Best regards,
    Johan Norberg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. hernaez

hernaez

So when I update a nested prefab, it updates automatically in the rest of the container prefabs? This would work much alike flash movieclips, right?

3. Babaa

Babaa

Yes, exactly. The package is done, but I have to fix documentation before releasing it on the Asset Store.

4. figbash

figbash

Is this done yet? I'd like to buy it!

5. imtrobin

imtrobin

Isn't this for roadmap for 3.5?

6. Demostenes

Demostenes

No. Just some prefab tweaks, but not nested.

7. tarragon

tarragon

Video has useless resolution. But otherwise, this project is interesting. Consider giving it a low price and a lot of people will buy it.

8. fmarkus

fmarkus

Hello! I'm ready to pay! Please let me know how much and where :)
    Cheers,

FM.

9. Rafes

Rafes

Looks amazing. i can't believe Unity didn't have this from the beginning. Is it safe to use with UnityPro external version control .meta files?

10. hotovec

hotovec

Hello. Some release date?
    M.

11. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Any update on this one? :)

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ok forget about the documentation, just release it as soon as possible please!!

Many thanks

13. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

(I haven't downloaded it)

Make sure you include some kind of license with it, or someone else may just fix the last few bugs and put it up on the Asset Store themselves.

14. 3Duaun

3Duaun

wow, what an unexpected solution! @Baba thank you for your work to craft this very useful solution.

15. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

As 3.5 won't have nested prefabs, this is quite welcome. Excited to see how it works just from an internal-unity learning experience.

16. 3Duaun

3Duaun

will this still work with the new text-based prefabs in 3.5? afaik 3.5 does now have text-based scenes and prefabs for better versioning.

17. Zennboy

Zennboy

18. Babaa

Babaa

Right, you are probably right Zennboy. I will continue work on this package when I have time.

@zhx I don't know.

19. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Baba Like you I really miss the possibility to nest prefabs in other prefabs. So I have also worked on a solution. But unlike you I have found it too difficult to integrate seamlessly the extension in the current prefabs workflow. So I have built an additional workflow instead, that I thinks is pretty robust and I hope relativly straightforward.

So If there are any people interested by the nested prefabs remaining, here is an extension that do just that:
    http://u3d.as/content/bento-studio/nested-prefab/2Jz

20. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution