Search Unity

Project Question : Unity and Terragen Procedurally Generated and data stored in SQL

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by 3KyNoX, Apr 15, 2011.

1. 3KyNoX

3KyNoX

Hello,

cause i'm kindly new to Unity, I have a question about my future MMO RTS project. Firstly to define my environment.

I would like to use Unity with Terragen 2 : http://www.planetside.co.uk/content/view/15/27/

I saw somewhere that it's possible to import terrain / space / objects assets from Terragen to Unity.

My idea is :

• Firstly making a procedural galaxy, here's some examples :

In this examples, we see that you got the whole galaxy and if we move closing a star, for example, it load procedurally the solar system without any loading screen or something like direct display on my second example. Transition must be on RealTime from the place where the player is and load elements when we are in a defined distance.​

All any white point in the universe relate to a real element from the universe, no space background!​

• After, I need all the data from the galaxy like element type (planet, star, asteroid, etc...) and its name, position, etc... stored in a database.

• Planets goes around the sun, moons goes around planets, with a set time to do this, and also stored in a database.

• Possibility to store also Terragen raw elements and files on the database to be loaded by Unity when a player approaching the specific zone and after, be able to interact with.

• Store in the database also the different elements on a planet, like grass, trees, rocks, and load it too in a precise emplacement procedurally when approaching it...

Is it possible ? :)

Later, when my environment will be ready, I will try to think about gameplay, space ships and buildings (space / planet ones), movement rules for a player (First perso View or RTS view like this game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9WzfnhYa64 ) and other things :)

2. hallamasch

hallamasch

I think its possible but it would be alot of work and very complex.

If you go down the Database Road:
    You will probally have to implement your own asset handling (loading, importing, placement).
    Probally all your assets will need to be stored in the Ressource Folder.

I would probally approach the problem with splitting stuff into scenes:
    Galax Scene --> Solar System Scene --> Planet Scene -->Maybe Different Terrain Scenes for one planet (depending on the Planet Size / Detail)

I am not very experienced so take what I say with a bit of salt.

3. 3KyNoX

3KyNoX

Thanks for light, and glad it's possible to do. The way you explain could be a good start.

However, I'm not sure about Terragen. If what's I make inside could be loaded correctly by Unity (Space, Terrains, Meshes, Objects, ...) and loaded from a database.

I'm sure if it's possible, Terragen will give me less efforts to make my environment.

4. patrick_vargas

patrick_vargas

start with a scratch paper....this is the way that all should be.
    seems strange...but it's true.