Search Unity

MegaGrab

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, Apr 15, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All
    Just put a simple tool in the Asset Store called MegaGrab. It allows you to take up scaled screenshots of your games, useful if you have a need to do prints or posters of your game or maybe a banner for a show. The script will also add any level of anti aliasing to the grab as well, you just add the script to a camera and say how many times you want the res increased and how many levels of Anti Aliasing you want and assign a grab key.

We have now also added the ability to upload grabs to the internet so you can do high qualty and high res grabs from your mobile game and have them sent directly to your server. Example php source code is included in the readme.

Another feature recently added is the ability to grab sequences of images all using the upscaling and AA values if you want so you can render out a sequence of very high quality high res anit aliased images which you can then join together using your favorite software to build an HD or even 4k video of your game.

Please note you do not need this script to do normal grabs of your games, Unity has that built in this is purely for getting large shots or anti aliasing a grab for marketing type purposes. Also currently it will not grab Gui objects. There is a script provided free by Unity to do large grabs so try that first but this tool is not limited by the max size of of texture your video card can do, and this script also provides extra anti aliasing to refine the image.

A DOF effect is also included and if anyone has any suggestions please post. The link to the asset is Here The price is $15.
    Chris

Buy MegaGrab

Recent Updates
    • Sequence Grabs supported
    • Upload grabs to the web
    • Alpha grabs supported

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. J3-Gaming

J3-Gaming

This is a day late, I had to print out some shots for a very important expo.
    This could have made it look so much better!!!

I will defiantly remember this thread for next time.

3. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks cool.

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

ironbelly likes this.
  5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Version 1.04 should be in the Asset store anytime soon, added the start of a DOF to the grab.
    Chris

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Seems there was a problem with v1.03 somehow left a call in I shouldnt have so if anyone is using this and getting odd results v1.04 fixes the problem, should be in the store very soon. Sorry about that.
    Chris

7. J3-Gaming

J3-Gaming

Will the price of your tool always stay at $15?

8. brn

brn

Nice app, I like the art on your promo images to!

9. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

How well does this work in scenes with multiple cameras?

My setup is currently using 3 cameras just for gameworld rendering, to compensate for Z-fighting and scale issues...
    Not to mention some 5 others for UI stuff ;)

Cheers

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Arr now then that's an interesting question. Currently it just checks for one camera, I could add an option to provide an array of cameras, I shall put it on the TODO list. Also as a note Unity renders GUI stuff after LateUpdate so its not possible as far as I know to grab the GUI, this script was written pretty much to do poster quality grabs of game scenes.

Also it should be noted that this method of grabbing doesnt work with Orthographic projections.
    Chris

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Version 1.05 is on its way to the store, left a silly bug in from v1.04, will grab properly again now in non DOF mode. Sorry about that.
    Chris

12. monark

monark

Does this work in the webplayer or is it just offline?

13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi There
    Its will only work currently in the editor or in a standalone exe. I have a few features I need to add to it such as setting the size of the output and dpi and giving an indication of how long a grab can take, so I could look at doing a system to upload the images instead of saving them out.
    Chris

14. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Ok new version 1.06 submitted, you can now give Dpi and image size values to the grabber ie want a 48inch wide grab at 300Dpi and it will calc the upscaling value based on the size of the application window. It will also indicated the number of grabs that will happen to make the final image and give an estimate in seconds in how long the grab will take, can be several minutes with very large images and a lot of AA or DOF samples.
    Chris

15. azeitler

azeitler

Just picked it up. Does not work.
    Output is all black except for bottom-left corner.

16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi There
    Iam sorry about that, could you email me your settings and the grab. Also is the camera orthographic, the system only works correctly with a perspective camera due to the way it manipulates the camera matrix.
    Chris

17. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

So, if you don't mind me clarifying, the depth-of-field effect has been added and is included in the download if I purchase?

18. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes it is in, it adds considerably to the grab time but it is in there, I would suggest grabbing with upscaling of 1 and no anti aliasing until you get the DOF settings right. There is a DOFCamera.cs included which you can add to the camera to show an indication of the focus point etc.
    Chris

19. psyche

psyche

@SpookyCat

Hi Chris! Good job for your plugin! It's great and run perfectly!
    Is it possible to give megagrab a relative path?
    For example to save the capture on the user desktop. Something similar to: %USERPROFILE%\Desktop.

Ced.

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi Ced
    I am sure it should work with relative paths, I am just back from being away for a week so I will check to make sure but as I said it should work.
    Chris

21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Relative paths do work for MegaGrab but %USERPROFILE% etc doesnt, but if needed I could add an option for System Environment variables.

22. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

New version (1.09) with Environment variable support submitted to the AssetStore, Just put the variable ie USERPROFILE in the Enviro param and then your path with a leading and trailing \ in Path, ie \Desktop\
    Chris

23. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Hi Chris,

I bought your plugin and I'm very happy with it.

Can you give me an advice to save the file in another format (jpg could be good), because my software needs to send it by email and TGA is too big for it!!

thanks

24. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi checco77
    Thanks for the purchase and I am happy you find it useful :) I did have a look around for a suitable c# jpg/png system but didn't find one, if you know of one or something similiar that is free to use then I will gladly add it in as an option, or you want to code it yourself just pm/email me and I will point you to right bit of code to replace.

Failing that if you have access to a zip or rar system you could maybe add some code in to compress the file and send it that way.
    Chris

25. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Hi Chris..

browsing the forum I found this:

http://technology.blurst.com/unity-jpg-encoding-javascript/

it could be useful? the problem is not only related to the size of the file, but a matter of compatibility of the format because TGA is not so "universal"... let me know if you could use the one I found.. otherwise I can continue searching!

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I have just submitted v1.10 of MegaGrab to the Asset store, you can now select output formats of Tga or Jpg. If you select Jpg then you can alter the quality of the file by changing the Quality value, the range is 0 to 100. So now you can grab some very big images or very high quality anti aliased images and automatically upload them etc.
    Chris

27. Majortom

Majortom

Not sure if this has been already suggested but if it could render QTVR panoramas and also animations (would be great for cutscenes to scale back, etc) that'd make it even more superb. It's great value for money already though. ;)

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All
    Just submitted a tiny change to the store, removes the warnings that somehow crept into the last release and added a before and after grab from our MegaFiers scene so you can see the kind of grab you can get even without using the up-scaling feature of the system. The MegaGrab image has 32 levels of anti aliasing added, you could go a lot higher for even smoother results. You need to click the images to see the actual images to see the difference as the forum adds artifacts when it re-sizes the images in a post.
    Chris

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  29. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a little usage note, if you are trying to do very large grabs then bare in mind jpg grabs will require 5 times the memory of a TGA grab due to the jpeg encoder needing a Color array to work on but the TGA encoder only needing a byte array. So if you get an out of memory error switch to TGA format.
    Chris

30. MrPure

MrPure

This looks really nice!
    Are you planning to develop a version that supports sequence or better compressed movie capture?

31. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I was thinking about doing a sequence grabber.

32. Sprak

Sprak

SpookyCat, that demo image with the VW camper in the desert looks great. Excellent colours. Where is it from?

33. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

That's a test scene from a game project prototype, my brother does all the artwork and models etc I do the coding.

34. Sprak

Sprak

Any gallery/portfolio? I'd love to see more of it.

35. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

36. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Hi!
    I want to make thumbnail from the grab, is there some way do downscale grab to something like 160x160? tex.Resize gives me grey image, other workarounds did not work also.

37. XY01

XY01

Hi,
    Mega grab is great, I have gotten some great renders from it, though lately I keep getting these wobbly artifacts and have no idea how to get rid of them? Is this something you have seen before and know how I might fix?
    Any help would be ace thanks :)
    $MegaGrab problem.jpg

38. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi There
    Artifacts like that are usually caused by some kind of post effect or antialiasing, to get the best results turn of image effects and even anti aliasing and use the grabbers aa feature.
    Chris

39. XY01

XY01

Thats what I thought, and have tried it with everything off, both with forward and deferred rendering, but still no dice :S

40. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

That is odd then, is there any chance you could email me the test scene so I can see what is going on.

41. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a quick note to say the price of this asset has been reduced to $5 in the store.

42. proso

proso

Hello, you got a great product. I've 2 questions:

1. Does it still only works in exe and editor? I need a script which works on all platforms
    2. Can you save the image to any map on your computer/ipad/etc?

43. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Works in editor or standalone, so works fine on Mac or PC, and should work on mobile devices as long as the path provided is to a valid writable directory on the device.

44. proso

proso

great! I just bought it.... thanks

45. proso

proso

Hi,

I'm trying to make a screenshot function in my game with DOF. But I want to make it as simple as possible. Is it possible to make a function where you can click an object in the game (not in editormode but in game mode), so the DOF distance will be calculated automaticly? And secondly only 1 slider to adjust the amount/angle/etc of blur?

46. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yeah that should be very simple to do, I will try and get that done but super busy at the moment so not sure when I will be able to get around to that.

47. proso

proso

Yeah, that would be GREAT :D

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Spooky, I have been trying to use MegaGrab and I set my capture button to the CTRL key, but where do the screenshots go...?

49. d.eisenga

d.eisenga

I'm thinking about getting this, but I'd first like to know if it works with Indie - similar things I've found all use render textures which don't work in Indie.

50. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Neptune-Imaging - Depends what you have set the path to, if nothing then they will be saved in the folder the program was run from.

@d.eisenga - MegaGrab doesn't use render to textures so will work with the free version of Unity.