Search Unity

MegaGrab

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Hey Chris will this also work with particles and say Scion asset?

2. Iamdain

Iamdain

I need to do a screen grab larger than the max game window size possible for some Apple promotion art. When I try setting say 1080x270 and upscaling by 4 to get effective 4260x1080 the image looks extremely blurry, see attached. The artwork is on 24hr deadline, any thoughts as to how I can get full quality render using MG? Thanks.

3. Iamdain

Iamdain

These are my grab settings:

4. Iamdain

Iamdain

It seems like geometry edges are sharp but textures are being resolved to a much lower quality. Perhaps textures are being rendered into screen space at the low resolution?

5. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you have any image effects on or even anti aliasing then that will not scale correctly and you will get artifacts, so make sure you have any such effect turned off. I am not sure what res texture you are using on your object but if it is a lower res one then when scaled up the texture will not have any more detail to display. Also if you have mip mapping on the texture it could be using a lower mip map as Unity thinks it is rendering it small, so maybe try turning off mip mapping on the texture.

6. Mikkel J

Mikkel J

Hi, I had Mega Grab installed and working (perfectly asides a few memory bugs once in a while, nothing major) in Unity 4.6.x, However, now we've upgraded our project to Unity 5.2.x - and Mega Grab is no longer functioning properly. At first the images appeared all black, bug at a closer look, something was rendered out in the bottom of the screen (unindentified object). As it turned out, Mega Grab is simply grabbing pixels from the top left of the actual game window's size, and not beginning at the specified aspect (defined as 9:16 or other formats). Thus, it is possible to render out images half black half image and so on, all depending on how the Game window/tab is resized.

Is anyone else having this problem after updating to Unity 5? Let me know if you need more details about this. :)

Thanks!

7. proso

proso

Hi, did you have any chance to answer my questions?

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@proso - Sorry I missed your post, if you uncheck the 'add date time' option in the inspector then images will save with just a numbered extension added to the name. As for a window you could easily add such an option to change the Path value, I will add an option to put up a path dialog box but obviously that will only work in Editor mode.

@Mikkel J - We have been using MegaGrab with Unity 5.2 and not had any problems with grabs not working, could you possibly submit a support ticket at the website outlining the setup of your project and showing the camera settings as well as the MegaGrab settings so we can see if we can recreate the problem. Are you using an Ortho camera? Also could you expand on the memory bugs you mentioned, not had any other reports off that.

Also just to say if you need help or have a problem please visit our website www.megafiers.com and submit a support ticket, we just dont get the email notifications for posts here most of the time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  9. Teejay5

Teejay5

I also appear to be getting this issue; there are randomly borders on my screenshots:

Here are my settings:
    mgsettings.PNG
    and here are how the screenshots turn out: (notice the dark lines on some borders)

FEESH ss 812x457 Sunday Jan 10 2016 16_05_08.jpg FEESH ss 1600x900 Sunday Jan 10 2016 01_41_32.jpg

@SpookyCat

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Teejay5 - Could you submit a support ticket at our website, if you could include some grabs of your camera settings as well as details of the build platform, version of Unity so we can take a look for you.

11. alanmthomas

alanmthomas

Just purchased this from the Asset Store. Love the results, but am having some issues.

1. I tried setting the path variable but it just keeps saving to the default path. Is there something I'm missing here?
    2. If I don't resize the game window, the grab is just the dark grey background of the game window. Does the game preview have to fill the Game tab for this to work properly or is there a way around that? You can imagine that I'm partial to my workspace layout and would hate to have to dislodge the game tab every time I want to take screen shots.

Here are my settings, btw. Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. vismonkey

vismonkey

I also have the same question. How do I set up the Environment Var and Path fields so that I can save to a Users Desktop on a Mac.

13. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Hi SpookyCat,
    How do I save with MegaGrab on android divice , what path do I need to Gallery?
    Can´t find anything about it.
    Thanks in advance!

14. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

Hi SpookyCat!
    Are you alive?
    How do you get MegaGrab work on IOS and Android?
    Don´t find any info about it.
    Thanks

15. pea

pea

Hello!

I can't seem to get alpha transparency to work with transparent shaders. I'm trying to isolate objects onto a transparent background. All works well with opaque objects, but anything that has a little transparency just loses the transparency in the resulting TGA file.

Any chance the way to do this could be explained to me? Thank you!

16. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@pea - If you could submit a support ticket at our website and possibly include a screenshot showing the settings you are using for the grab that would be helpful.

17. pea

pea

Thank you, I will do that.

18. renman3000

renman3000

@SpookyCat

I just bought MegaGrab, but I see no online documentation. What up with that??

I need a wee bit of help bro, in setting it up!
    Thanks

edit.
    So I have attached the MegaGrab script to an object, set the camera, and began use. The issue for me seems to be that no picture is stored. I have set the path, file name etc. When I press the "s" key, to take pic, the computer is clearly processing something. But no evidence is found of the transaction.

HELP!

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  19. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Have you checked the website http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=401 it explains the settings. Not hard just pick how many times you need the grab scaled press play and then press the key you have set for grabbing and an image will be saved.

renman3000 likes this.
  20. renman3000

renman3000

Thanks,
    I did but had not scrolled down for some reason. Anyhow, I hope this works!
    Cheers

21. renman3000

renman3000

Hi,
    I still can not retrieve the image taken.
    I have placed in prints to console on the MegaGrab script. At function, SaveJPG(), I used this...
    Code (csharp):
    2.         FileStream fs = new FileStream(filename, FileMode.Create);
    3.         print ("fs = " + fs.Name);
    this print to console returns this....
    However, this location does not exist on my computer (OS Sierra). I am wondering two things, 1) does anyone have a solution? 2) Would anyone be willing to screen grab 5 images (that I would send) for me?

Thanks,
    kind of desperate.

22. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just submitted an update to the Asset Store, this makes MegaGrab fully compatible with Unity 2017 and also adds a requested option to Grab From Start, so if that box is checked the Grab system will either grab the very first frame when Play is hit or if sequence grab is selected the sequence will begin on the very first frame.

Changes since V1.26
    • MegaGrab fully compatible with Unity 2017
    • Added 'Grab From Start' option to tell MegaGrab to either do a screen or sequence grab from the very first frame when playing.
    • MegaGrab made fully Unity 5.6 compatible.
    • MegaGrab made fully Unity 5.5 compatible.
    • Grab paths now work correctly if using relative paths.
    • Path correctly handles leading and trailing '\'
    • Added option to not include the Date and Time etc info in the sequence grab file names.

23. sumpfkraut

sumpfkraut

It's possible to make screenshots from a orthographic camera?
    The camera is a top view from my scene, but megagrab just create a perspective projection screenshot.

EDIT:
    if someone have the same problem, replace this code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. mtop = SrcCamera.nearClipPlane * Mathf.Tan(SrcCamera.fieldOfView * 0.5f * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    2. mbottom = -mtop;
    3. mleft = mbottom * SrcCamera.aspect;
    4. mright = mtop * SrcCamera.aspect;
    with this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (SrcCamera.orthographic)
    2. {
    3.     mtop = SrcCamera.nearClipPlane;
    4.     mbottom = SrcCamera.farClipPlane;
    5. }
    6. else
    7. {
    8.     mtop = SrcCamera.nearClipPlane * Mathf.Tan(SrcCamera.fieldOfView * 0.5f * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    9.     mbottom = -mtop;
    10. }
    11. //mtop = SrcCamera.nearClipPlane * Mathf.Tan(SrcCamera.fieldOfView * 0.5f * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    12. //mbottom = -mtop;
    13. mleft = mbottom * SrcCamera.aspect;
    14. mright = mtop * SrcCamera.aspect;

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  24. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

I'd like to use MegaGrab for high quality renders but have an exposition issue, all my screenshots are darker than the image I have ingame.

If I observe, I notice the game freezes during the screenshot and at le last moment, display a darker frame, the one I end up with.

I tried starting from an empty scene with no special effects can everything standard and still get the same result.

I even gave a shot at removing HDR and other stuff from the camera and got a dark screen.

Si there and option I'm missing?

Thanks.

PS: unity forum seems to have an issue with pictures, they'll display if you click on them.

25. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Submitted a small update to the Asset store, this makes MegaGrab fully compatible with Unity 2018.1 and 2018.2. Also added an error check for writing the image files as some Mac users were reporting no files were saved and no reason given, if a file can not be written it will now report why in the console.

Changes in 1.32
    • MegaGrab made fully compatible with Unity 2018
    • Added error checking at file write time so if no file is written a reason why is given in console Window. This has been added as some Mac systems have write protect on some folders and grabs were not being saved, you will now be able to see why a grab has not been saved.

26. veddycent

veddycent

What is the maximum resolution MegaGrab can render, can it render > 16,384px?

27. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes it should be able to render that, I will do a test and report back.

28. veddycent

veddycent

Thanks.

Trying to render higher resolutions using render texture doesn't work and trying to find an asset that does has been difficult. Hopefully this will be the solution. :D

29. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Did the test and could grab up to 24,000px before running out of memory.

30. veddycent

veddycent

That's great! Thanks for testing :)
    I'll look to add this asset into my app in the near future.