Search Unity

WIP My first unity project - navmesh generation

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ChrisPaulson, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

Hi,

here is my first c# and Unity project. It's a navmesh generator:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23080477/navmesh.unitypackage

This is WIP so there will be lots of bugs and it needs speeding up. I've not yet written a A* on it yet as it is on my to do list but maybe someone could use it and do there own.

To use it, import the package, make and empty game object and use the component menu to insert the navmesh script. Play with the settings and when ready press scan.

The collision layer field is not yet implemented so at moment it scans all geom.

I will continue to work on this as I find time but thought someone might be interested.

PS

Be gentle with the comments, these are my first unity scripts.

2. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

Here is a demo picture: -

The coloured squares are the calculated regions.

3. cupsster

cupsster

subscribed :)

4. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Very nice work. I just messed around with it and it works pretty well.

5. DavidB

DavidB

Definitely will check this out, great job from the looks of it. Thanks for sharing.

6. DavidB

DavidB

Also I forgot to mention, if you wanted to simply test your mesh with A*, my team's started an open-sourced (MIT) navigation framework. It's got a working A* implementation and it's pretty easy to use. I wouldn't say it's production ready yet, but it's definitely robust enough to allow you to test your navmeshes if you can represent them in our NavigationMesh class form. (which is easy to do!)

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/67737-Certain-Logic-s-Navigation-Opensource-Framework

Keep up the great work btw, can't wait to see what you come up with along the way.

7. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

Got a little bit further and got Astar working on it: -

Image shows the regions found by the Astar as the best route. Not yet drawing the path line or doing any path smoothing yet. That's to come next...

Latest code is in: -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23080477/navmesh.unitypackage

Still lots of bugs etc but thought I keep the thread updated.

8. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  9. youknownuno

youknownuno

hello! this seems fun, do you have any built demo? I'm using a mac, but would definetly like to give it a go :)

10. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

Thanks - these are bits that show I am new to Unity, I do a clunky bit of code until I can find a better way of doing things. Thanks for the advice.

11. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

In the drop box link is the package which you can import and it has an example scene. Press scan when the navmesh object is selected and it should work.

Do you need more?

12. mgrenier

mgrenier

Really nice work ! I'm currently building my own navigation mesh + AI and was looking for a way to "scan" my geometry to build the navmesh automatically. Does the resulting mesh can be composed of 1 sub-mesh?

My own implementation (blog post) uses connected triangles from a single mesh/sub-mesh to build the network (and also merge into convex polygon to reduce network).

Just wondering :)

13. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

Hi Chris, have you tried your navmesh system with some animated characters/AI yet?

14. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

The resulting data is a grid of regions (squares of differing sizes) with connecting links. In the picture above the white squares are the ones found by the Astar. The scanning geometry is done in a similar way to recast. Read this for a good description (this is someone else's work): -

15. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

Not yet - it is a near future goal, it's at that point everything will seem worth the hard work.

16. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

Sounds good, congrats on the progress and I hope the best for your end results. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end ;)

17. mgrenier

mgrenier

Thank you for pointing me to Recast. If you are able to merge your regions into a single mesh (like Recast seems to be doing), I'll easily pay a few hundred for that kind of software !

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  18. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

That's what I am doing except I merge into quads not polygons.... and you get it for free!

19. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

20. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

Thats really cool. Are you happy with the results or will you be adding more to this, tweaking, etc?

21. ChrisPaulson

ChrisPaulson

It's just the beginning really, on my to does are:-

1) Crowd control (local neighbour avoidance)
    2) Path smoothing (either by funnel algorithm or by local A Star)
    3) Dynamic object avoidance (by local A Star)
    4) Runtime updates to navmesh (when something big changes in a scene)

22. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

runtime updating? whoa, you are going all out. Sounds like you're going for the complete package. I would love to see you complete that specific feature, please post a web player demo when you complete it, would be impressive to see. Keep up the good work.