Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What improvement will be in Unity 4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nikko, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Well, I'm not going to pursue it anymore, it is trivial and just a novelty.
    I haven't changed the one in Max in a while, just thought it might be fun.
    Some of the Max users on the Autodesk forums used to take some pride in their splash screens and show them off,
    sort of like the pictures of people's desktop here in one of the threads.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

I have a Mac, so I didn't know anything about a splash screen in the editor. Sorry!

3. janpec

janpec

I just hope that Unity provide SpeedTree in next version. Most of AAA class engines are already using ST plugin so it would be nice.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity can't use plugins in webplayer and mobile, only in standalone, so I would assume that if it get supported, only for the source licenses where the problem could be overcome.

AAA support using ST, they don't offer it, you still need the $10k / project license for ST if you want to use it

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Another thing I want to see in unity is better / more robust js support. And fix up that mac version of the built in ide cos monodevelop sucks for js.

6. jashan

jashan

IMHO, it's very well worth it ;-) ... I sometimes see the splash screen when accidentally firing up Unity in VMWare Fusion and ... then I quickly kill the VMWare Fusion process so I don't have to throw my monitors out of the Window.

7. flim

flim

Really? I will check my MBP tonight.

Why Windows has an editor splash screen but Mac doesn't?

8. codinghero

codinghero

You've asked for it, and Unity 4 will finally deliver. The Easy Button. Simply hook up a standard microphone and tell Unity 4 to "build my dream game," press The Easy Button and BAM! Out pops your creation, automagically if you will.

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

How about an entirely gpu-driven particle system with millions of particles per frame?

10. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

If I could ask for ONE feature from Unity 4, it would be a REAL UI system. Something that is awesome and complex and simple to use. Maybe look at QT and borrow some of their features. Something that lets you create nice looking controls but isn't full of bugs and doesn't require a whole bunch of style sheet type setup.

The plethora of UI assets in the asset store should tell Unity that their built in UI is teh debil.

Gigiwoo.

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Indeed, there's been mention of a new GUI system, so UT is aware of the lack and apparently is addressing it. I suspect the question is whether it's a Unity 4.0 thing, or if it will be along in a 3.x update.

--Eric

12. HeadClot

HeadClot

Right now...

I would really like some sort of Visual Scripting so I can prototype game play faster.

and if they can fit this in Voxel terrain...

and just off topic really quick...

Does unity go up in price when it gets upgraded? (Unity 4,5,6)

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, it's always been $1500 for Unity Pro. (Which doesn't mean they will never alter the price, of course, but so far it's been consistent.)

--Eric

14. HeadClot

HeadClot

Hey thanks Eric :)

15. Regularry

Regularry

16. HeadClot

HeadClot

Never knew about the official unity Polls. Just voted :)

17. flim

flim

I really appreciate the Webcam/Mic and API Doc already started.
    Can I vote for remove the soldier in the splash screen?

18. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If the topic has been already entered you can, or you will have to create one.
    I thought I was already voting on a 64 version of Unity by voting on something I thought covered it, but after
    bringing it up on the forum with one of the Unity people they said I would have to create the feature request.
    I did, and now it is number seven in the list, whoops, number four on the list.
    Hmmm, anyone notice some of the higher requests are now gone form the list?
    My guess is that means they are done!

19. kablammyman

kablammyman

the only thing i would want from unity 4.0 is built-in debugger. MONODEVELOP IS TERRIBLE!! If a built in debugger is too much to ask, unity4.0 should hook up to visual studio.

God, I hate monodevelop! Its my biggest issue with unity...the "debugging features" are pretty useless, and slows down the work flow a lot!

20. Flapman

Flapman

I 2nd the idea of coming up with a monthy subscription rate for those that want Unity Pro but can't come up with the full $1500 right now.

Gosh I need Pro!!! :D

Yes, about shadows for Indie version.

And, a 64 bit of Unity.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  21. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

UDK renamed Unity 4!

And I got another one!
    CryEngine 3 renamed Unity 5!

22. Pash

Pash

As a new comer to Unity I really want to just add that although some people are mentioning many new features they would like to see etc I would love to see the same pricing model and availability for the small up-comers like me and my team. DX11 etc sounds all very nice but this is an engine that supports crysis like graphics in a web browser for crying out loud! Don't make it expensive for us small timers by requesting tech that doesn't need to be there yet :(

Pash

23. saymoo

saymoo

Correction: No you cannot achieve the same visuals with Unity (as of yet) in the same way as you can with CryEngine3 (quality/smoothness).

24. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

He never said cry3, just crysis ;)

25. McDev02

McDev02

It´s the question what you can achieve with an Engine, not what the Engine could do.

26. Pash

Pash

I actually said crysis like graphics. I have done a lot of research of different engines over the last few months and I really think Unity has the edge for my team because:-

- Licensing structure is affordable for us.
    - Community support is great, lots of books and resources available.
    - You can use c# to script (perfect for me as I work in IT as a day job anyway, learning some c# will not do me any harm).
    - Multi platform support.
    - The demo reel alone has me sold, its great!!!!!

Cheers,

Pash

27. janpec

janpec

You are clearly thinking only from one perspective, why would anyone who is making "AAA" indie game want webplayer version? I havent yet see any AAA game running in webplayer, if there is DX11 avability thats great it will be great use to those that want to push Unity a bit further. However if you really want proper DX11 game i would much rather use Unigine or Cry3 becouse it just looks and runs better, that would be my opinion, so in end DX11 for Unity probably wouldnt be the most needed feature.

28. ammar26

ammar26

I would like to see 64-bit support

29. Pash

Pash

That's the only perspective I can think from..... As soon as you start adding tech to a product the cost will drive up for licenses to remain competitive with other companies. You add dx11 support with AAA title support etc you will need the support there to deal with incoming questions and support cases to get everything shiny and working for the devs. There might be better tech engines out there, but they are more expensive unless I am missing something? Unity fills a gap and I like what they fill it with.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  30. FunZap

FunZap

Alot.

31. SaltSlasher

SaltSlasher

Dragons...oh wait that's skyrim.

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That is hilarious.... (Sarcasm)

I think it needs a kind of editor for the start screen of the EXE builds, maybe even none that things dumb (maybe it can be removed but I don’t think it can) also i think they need to make the splash screen on free builds look nicer, maybe some options as it just makes my game look crap (especially the flash one :()

33. TheSin

TheSin

I'd love a custom inspector editor/creator, maybe i should try to write one myself but it'd be great if it was an integrated product for unity.

34. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

They already mentioned giving the terrain system an update in 4.0. Here's hoping.

35. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

To clarify, we said that the terrain engine will not be updated until at earliest 4.x. That simply means that no major updates are coming for the terrain engine in the 3.x cycle.

36. goat

goat

This month I will have bought: EZ Games Saver, EZ GUI, Sage (Animation State Machine), and Visualizer Studio so to add these features to 4.0 would be nice. Maybe Unity can buy the rights outright from the original devs and integrate into 4.0 to be fair about it.

37. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

I want the ability to get more hooks in to the Unity editor and engine code. Expose everything you can to programmers who can write extensions for you. Yes, you will get "incompatibility" when the engine editor updates and certainly extensions will break, but I'd rather have the option to extend and suffer the attendant issues than not be able to extend.

Also, fix the brain dead way of serializing classes and structures in the editor to permit inspectors to be created for more types. Sheesh! Who the hell codes the list of types they will serialize as a hard-coded enumeration?!? :)

38. Moonjump

Moonjump

I would like to see user definable defaults for asset import.

For example, the FBX Importer Scale Factor needs to be different for various 3D modelling packages, but most people only use one package, so want the same Scale Factor all the time. I get fed up changing the Scale Factor, Tangents to None, Material Generation to Off and Animations to Don't Import every time I create a new model. And it won't let me switch off Cast Shadows and Receive Shadows, so I have to change those on every instance I create. And as I don't have normals, I get an error message every time I click on the imported model because the default Material requires them. I spent a long time searching for the error the first time it happened, only to find out it wasn't real. Let me set my defaults to speed up my workflow and reduce errors.

It is the same with every asset. Fonts import as Dynamic, displaying an error in my iOS project. Having to change texture formats as I am mostly using 16 bit with no mip map. Etc.

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You could do all that if you had the source cant you?

I think unity 4 is going to be amazing :) and it should be to keep up to unreal engine 4 and most likely a UDK to go along side it.

i think having a custom format for addons is something that could be nice and then there is a folder someplace in the unity files that you put it and then you can select to have it in your projects... i havent used an addon but if im not mistaken it is just a C# file? like a normal script?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  40. kablammyman

kablammyman

this!

41. SteveJ

SteveJ

+100

42. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

A lot could be achieved even without source code if Unity would stop sealing their classes. Sealing classes in an API is unforgivable and inexecusable behaviour.

43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You tell them Justin ;) (sorry i dont realy have any idea about classes, im not realy the scripting kind :))

44. Doddler

Doddler

If I could debug my unity games in visual studio, I would be a very happy man.

45. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

A decent hooking scheme and a little more exposure of the inner workings of the engine could fix that for you. :) Of course, you can always use detours and code injection to do what you want too. ;) Re-writing the MSIL on a sealed class is a pain, but hey, I gets me a custom struct inspector, whatever works.

46. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

See! SEE! THAT'S how words and promises get put in other people's mouths!! But they SAID they would! Somebody else SAID they SAID they would!

Please accept my apologies for that, entirely my error.

47. taumel

taumel

They'll focus on Ruby support and that's the reason it will be delayed.

Oh and the 2D engine, soft bodies and much more dynamic options, hardware tesse...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  48. TehWut

TehWut

Keep thinking of RPG Maker for some reason......

I'm sure the 4.x will bring lots of good changes. But I also hope there is still some room to improve in 3.x, as we just got 3.5.

49. Demostenes

Demostenes

Why should they focuse on improving terrain engine? It is only 4 years behind competition. There are more critical issues like desperate need for supporting latest Casio calculators. Imagine that, if you can run Unity game during you math class!

50. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Demo is pretty frustrated with the terrain engine. I have to say, I've had a bit of grief with it myself.
    I know we wall have opinions...and my humble opinion is that some of the core, fundamental systems in Unity sure could use some love.