Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to pull an object with mouse... ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Erguntech, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Erguntech

Erguntech

Hi all ,
    What is the way to make an object dynamicly effected by mouse ?

For example, i have a cabinet and which has a drawer.

I want to pull the drawer with mouse,and also be able to close it back. I can maybe trigger an animation by clicking on the drawer but what i want to reach is to make a drawer,which can be pulled by mouse..
    Is there a easy way to do this whitout scripting maybe ?

Cheers..

2. Satoh

Satoh

without scripting, I highly doubt it.

However, I don't think it would be difficult to make a script to open or close the drawer. I haven't dealt much with the mouse yet, but I think I understand the components of the script you will need.

Someone else who knows more about Unity scripts should be able to figure out what I mean, and hopefully help you out.

if : mouse button is clicked : send a raycast from the mouse screen position straight forward
    ...if the raycast hits the drawer :
    ......if the drawer is not fully open and the mouse is moved DOWN : move the drawer object in an outward direction
    ......else if the drawer is not fully closed and the mouse is moved UP : move the drawer object in an inward direction

hope that makes sense. I don't know the actual code to do this, but I wouldn't imagine it should be hard to write. (I haven't used raycasts yet, but they seem to solve most of the issues I see on this board XD )

EDIT:

This may help you out a bit.
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.OnMouseDrag.html

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011