Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Apr 6, 2011.

1. crafTDev

crafTDev

I'm anticipating purchasing uScript and just want to buy it and get it over with, but every time I try to learn, I get some type of writers block. uScript Team definitely needs to start pumping out tutorials in detail (especially since the Beta price period has started, congrats!!) and not some tutorials that show examples of doing certain things. I need to be eased in, I don't even know how to declare variables in uScript (yea, I'm a very dense artist that needs the nitty gritty basics). It seems I have to learn this the same way I learned how to do basic JS. I hope to be able to start seeing these bite size tutorials soon.

2. uScript

uScript

We will continue to create video tutorials and expand on the documentation leading up to version 1.

BTW, you don't need to declare variables in any special way-- just place them on the canvas and start assign or read values from them as needed! Any easy way to place a variable a node needs is to right-click on the node's socket and choose "Create Linked Variable". That will place the proper variable type and hook it up to the socket for you.

3. crafTDev

crafTDev

How do I use a gameobject in my scene??

4. uScript

uScript

Ask over on the uScript Community Forum and the team can help you out.

5. crafTDev

crafTDev

Just bought!! Looking forward to having this in my workflow and getting my code all converted to uScript. But I will need quite a lot of help. So hoping for those bite size tutorial vids. :)

6. uScript

uScript

Retail Beta 2 of uScript is now available for download on the uScript Community Forum and Unity Asset Store!

For details, see this post.

We have also updated all our example projects and added a new one called Simple UI.

Reminder: uScript is now available on the Unity Asset Store! We are currently offering it for $95 USD (50% off its final price), so now is the perfect time to purchase it!

Click here to purchase.

7. crafTDev

crafTDev

Just a check in on when we can expect more tutorials...

8. uScript

uScript

Retail Beta 3 of uScript is now available for download on the uScript Community Forum and Unity Asset Store!

For details, see this post.

Reminder: uScript is now available on the Unity Asset Store! We are currently offering it for $95 USD (50% off its final price), so now is the perfect time to purchase it!

Click here to purchase.

9. crafTDev

crafTDev

Cool...Also, I didn't have time to exstensively look at the node list, but does it uScript have iOS nOdes?

10. uScript

uScript

Almost all of our nodes will work fine in iOS. We also do have touch device and iOS specific nodes as well and add more all the time.

11. puppyfat

puppyfat

Is there any way to try this out without buying it? Or at least is there some kind of guarantee incase we don't like it?

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

"don't like" does not qualify for refunds in any reasonable place on earth (all but the USA ;))

But you are lucky there is still the public beta on the uscript.net boards when you login with an acc

13. uScript

uScript

Dreamora is correct. You can register on our uScript Community Forum and use the download link once logged in there to download the latest free beta.

14. Bovine

Bovine

Sorry if this ha already been asked but can ai be driven intuitively using uScript? Ive been using behave but there are issues ATM (with decorators), is uScript capable of behaviour tree or FSm type logic?

Thanks
    Bovine

15. DiegoC

DiegoC

Hi
    Is possible create a Player controller (walk, idle, jump,crouch,fire..), animation controller , camara controller...?
    Is there any demo of it?
    Thanks in advance

16. uScript

uScript

Thanks for the questions. You should head on over to the uScript Community Forum so the whole dev team can see your questions and answer them.

DiegoC- you can download the free beta on the uScript forum (you need to register/login to see the download link.

http://uscript.net/forum

17. v_m

v_m

my first contact with uScript, just downloaded the Beta. and I'm following their intro video tutorial ( Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool) and they're like... go to Global Events > On Game Start. I look for it, it doesn't exist (in the beta). then they're like... go to Input Events > On Key Press. OK, so I go... it doesn't exist either. And it keeps going like that... again and again, nodes that don't exist in the beta download.

kind of weird, to have an Intro-to-my-software that uses features that don't exist in the software. I'm sure they exist in their version, obviously, just not in.. the version I just downloaded from their website :/

I'm curious though, can I use this beta in a non-commercial game? I don't see a watermark, but.. is there a time limit or something that will show up later?

18. uScript

uScript

Helo V_M. The videos you are looking at were from our pre-alpha introduction almost a year ago. Things have improved and changed a lot since those early videos (including node names). Because uScript is still in beta things are still evolving. Please see our documentation website for the latest documentation and video links (http://uscript.net/docs). You can also post questions on the uScript Community Website (http://uscript.net/forum) and the whole dev team will be able to help you get started.

To answer your question regarding product creation. Currently everyone has access to the retail version while in beta. An actual license is required for using it for commercial work. The beta builds do have a time limit (mostly to encourage people to keep upgrading to new builds as we make improvements. Soon we will be releasing a Personal Learning Edition (PLE) at no charge for people to try uScript and learn with it. This version will contain an on-screen water mark.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  19. v_m

v_m

thanks for replying, very kind of you :)
    uScript does look impressive and I'm probably going to buy it.
    one more question: if I use the PLE, and at a later time decide to purchase a licence, can I get rid of the watermark in projects that I programmed with PLE? :)

20. uScript

uScript

Yes, by replacing the PLE version of uScript with the retail version at any time you will be upgraded and the watermark will be gone.

Also, because I might have not been clear above, besides the on screen watermark in the PLE version, the two versions are identical. This means the PLE version has all the same functionality as the retail version.

21. uScript

uScript

22. uScript

uScript

Retail Beta 5 of uScript is now available! For details, see this post.

We have also updated all our example projects and added a new one called Advanced UI.

Reminder: uScript is now available for purchase for $95 USD (50% off its final price), so now is the perfect time to purchase it! This offer will be ending soon.

23. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

I love this tool, I just purchased the beta a few nights ago and I am amazed how much faster I'm picking this thing up.
    With that said however, I still have not been able to find out to apply a vector3 to a game object like my character.

There seems to be all the events and actions I would need to build out animations on inputs, but nothing (from what I can grasp) on how to actually move objects upon input with Vectors.

Any suggestions?

24. uScript

uScript

For reference to anyone in the future, we are discussing this question on the uScript forums here.

25. gabidof

gabidof

Hi, i'm new in this. So, i have a few questions. It's working with ios and android devices? And there is no problem with others plugins like the prime31 or other in the asset store?

Thanks!

26. uScript

uScript

Yes, uScript works just fine with all supported Unity platforms. Also, we have had no reports of any issues working along side any other Unity plugin/tool.

27. shader

shader

Can uScript be used as a standalone Unity C# code generator ?

For instance, if I needed to code something, such as pulsing a light on add off for a cetain time, could uScript generate the code ? Could I retrieve this code and give it to someone else who didn't have uScript installed (but wanted to impliment the code)

If the answer is yes, is the code 'clean' and efficient.

I hope this question makes sence.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  28. Fufurata1234

Fufurata1234

Hi,
    I would like to know, if UScript is flexible enough for my project. Could you please clarify some points?
    1. First of all, does UScript keep variables between scenes? I know that every scene have it's own UScript master object (or whatever you call it), does this object keep only current scene variables, or is it possible to have global variables, such as health, xp, max mana etc.?
    2. Is it possible to use UScript with C# script without any limitations? Namely: set/get script variables, call functions etc? Is it possible to use UScript, for example, with third party camera script?
    3. Does UScript any save/load functionality? For example, is it possible to serialize/deserialize object properties or attached script variables? Most important, is there any way to store properties of objects, that are not presented on the current scene (for example attitude of some NPC towards PC, that is on different map, or content of some container on different map etc.)?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  29. zine92

zine92

Guess you could ask in the uscript forum. Not sure about some of those.

30. Shaba1

Shaba1

I downloaded the free beta 5 back in july after signing up on the detox forum. But I never used it. I just let it sit on my HD For 4 months. Last month I finally decided to try it out on a project that I am just testing. I got a console dialog that said the beta expired. So I delected the two folders Uscript and gizmo from the project folder using the unity interface. I think went back to the detox site and downloaded beta 6. Now before I let it expire again or do something else wrongly can somone tell me what the beta usage period is?

31. zine92

zine92

I guess when you imported in it will say the expiration period. Roughly 16 days if i am not wrong.

32. uScript

uScript

Beta 6 (the last publicly available free beta) expires at he end of November. The purpose of the expiration was to ensure users continued to update to the latest betas so we could focus on current feedback and bugs relevant to the newer beta builds.

We have just released a free Personal Learning Edition that does not expire for those who wish to evaluate uScript at their leisure. See the next post for details.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  33. uScript

uScript

34. spaz8

spaz8

is visual debugging in the works for Uscript? I definitely enjoy seeing playmaker walk through the execution of the node tree in realtime.

35. uScript

uScript

Yes, this feature is on our roadmap. Because uScript generates actual C# source code from the graph, it is a more involved feature to implement than solutions using a "black box" method. uScript is already doing this in another game engine using Lua, so at least some of the core work is already done and being tested. :)

36. juan-jo

juan-jo

Realtime debugging is the main reason why I may choose to use Universe instead of uScript.
    However, it is very important for me to have more information on the nature of this visual debugging you have planned.
    Also, what priority has this feature for you?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  37. appleunited

appleunited

Does it offer integration with SM2 and ezGUI?

38. rmele09

rmele09

Noob graph below lol:

I am trying to make a character play an animation named "Shadowrend" when the "H" key is pressed. What is wrong with this graph?
    View attachment 27251

39. Ari-Levi

Ari-Levi

I Kind of agree with you. I'm an artist/designer(a visual person generally) and I have started to get into scripting through unity. I feel like I struggle with code, but when I started using this pluggin I found it very frustrating, because I find it hard to do basic scripting things, like an imbedded for-loop for instance.

The hardest part about coding/scripting is designing the logic, the rest is just a means of implementing it. I personally find it cleaner and lot easier to just write scripts.

40. rmele09

rmele09

Just wanted to say this software is really excellent. I am still learning Unity and uScript, but in the few weeks of learning/using uScript I can see how powerful it is, and that it has great potential. If you take the time to learn uScript you can really increase your productivity as a coder, but especially as an artist. As an artist, I have found this tool to be really helpful. I can prototype and build gameplay elements very quickly, and in a few more weeks of learning the right techniques, I am confident that I can build an entire tech demo of my game by myself. This is a big statement as I am not a programmer at ALL, and really struggle with code. If any artist reads this and is wondering if it is worth your time, or if it is the right tool for you, give it a go. It can be a little daunting at first if you are completely new to programming, such as I was, but the forum is really active and helpful. I have asked a ton of questions and have been given detailed explanations on how to implement certain uScript nodes. The Educational Version is a great opportunity too because you don't have to come out of your pocket to learn the software. Give it a whirl, I think artists will love uScript if you take some time to learn it, I haven't tried other visual scripting, but this one rocks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  41. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Does anyone know if uScript will play nicely with 2DToolkit? Like, can I still create sprites/animations and have the whole 2DToolkit system work properly and control it in some way from uScript?

42. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Also is it possible to EASILY create a procedurally generated mesh from uScript? ie I need to add a new mesh, set texcoord0 and texcoord1, set the vertex colors, set the vertices and set the triangles, then upload that to the mesh for rendering. How would you do that in uScript? I am playing around with the free version and can't see where to get access to those kind of commands.

43. uScript

uScript

44. uScript

uScript

uScript has added realtime debugging to the latest build we just released. We also added exposing variables to Unity's inspector window as well a while back which is also a helpful realtime debugging feature. If you would like to try it for free, you can download the PLE version from http://www.detoxstudios.com/PLE

45. Truman

Truman

I've just upgraded Uscript and all my scripts are now broken. Lots of nodes are missing (magenta icon) and even if I reimport all the scripts of the plugin I can't find almost every non reflected node in the nodes library. Am I missing something?

46. Truman

Truman

If I select those nodes and I run the "update deprecated nodes" command, nothing happens

47. Truman

Truman

In a new project it's all right, but I need to have the old one working :(

48. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

I have purchased.
    This is a very nice production.
    By the way, there is a problem.
    When Sound of wav file clipped on the PlaySound property,Audio value is ”None (AudioClip)”.
    Please help me.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  49. Truman

Truman

I've just reverted to a backup where uscript is not updated. Nodes are fine, but all the connections are gone. I think it's related to the project upgrading... Anyone else experienced it?

edit

now connections are back! I don't know what happened, maybe it was only a visualization problem.
    Anyway, the first problem with the updated version of uscript still remains.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  50. uScript

uScript

Hello ArcDragon and Truman. Please post support questions over on the uScript forums so the entire uScript development team can assist you.

http://www.uscript.net/forum/