Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Apr 6, 2011.

1. kshaja

kshaja

Is there another way to connect sound to the node, beside that you have to type its name and folder? It should be nice to just drag and drop it !

2. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

I'm holding off on buying anything else so I can buy uScript, whatever the price! So hurry up and release it.

I think thinking of something different for reflection. What you've got there may use reflection, but to me it's not really as "cool" as you're making out at current. What would be awesome is the ability to visualise methods and properties in C# scripts added to objects (not just Custom Blocks) and use them in the uScript visual scripts. This would help work with "legacy" code (for lack of a better word).

3. azmilarash96

azmilarash96

@uScript
    i need to know how complex is uScript to be compared to PlayMaker or maybe Universe? and what uScript probably can't do? anyway, i really like the GUI its very nice and easily managed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. uScript

uScript

1. Don't read too much into our version numbering. The beta is coming soon. I know everyone wants a more specific timeframe, but we want to confident in the date we set. We are getting very close to be able to do that! Don't worry though, we are not talking months away or anything like that.

2. I'll be making a video showing this soon.

3. uScript does support full reflection. The only reason you are seeing just the built in Unity stuff in that video is because we have no other scripts in the scene-- it was all just assets and uScript making that gameplay. We do fully reflect the methods, events and properties of other scripts in the scene so the user can interact directly with them visually without a need for custom nodes. Again, you will see this in the upcoming video.

5. uScript

uScript

Our goal is to make it the easiest tool available in its class. However, you will need to decide that for yourself once you get your hands on the open beta.

6. uScript

uScript

We do exactly that. See my above response on this topic and keep an eye out for the video!

7. Toad

Toad

Just watched the 2nd video. This is looking really excellent. Just like Kismet but better, because it's in Unity! :)

Do you have any idea on timescales for the open Beta release?

8. uScript

uScript

Many of the nodes you see in the videos are under development and are being optimized as we develop. In the case of the Play Sound node, that was written be me actually-- and I am not a programmer (Game Designer by trade-- though I think that should speak as to how easy it can be to write nodes!) I do agree with what you are saying and the final Play Sound node will be refined for a better end-user experience once the uScript feature set is finalized and polished.

9. tODDk

tODDk

As someone that works with unreal/kismet, I'm looking forward to trying this!

10. uScript

uScript

uScript Feature Announcement!

Well it's time to let the cat out of the bag on another of our features in the uScript Visual Scripting Tool.

Our whole philosophy with uScript is to empower the entire development team, from Artist to Designer to Programmer. Most game design tools export a 'black box' which cuts programmers out of the loop. The entire team is at the mercy (good or bad) of the tool's creators when it comes to bugs, performance, and clarity on exactly what that black box is doing at run time.

One of our goals with uScript was to lift that 'black box'. To achieve this, we've written uScript from the ground up to simply export C# code. There is no run-time binary file, no 3rd party module your game must include, no worries if other people using your Unity project have the same packages installed. uScript simply creates C# game scripts which you include and use as any other game script created by hand.

Here is a summary of the advantages we feel exporting straight C# provides:

• No black box - Any technical person on your team can figure out exactly what uScript is doing at any time.
    • You can modify the generated script - We aren't perfect, we're striving every day to deliver outstanding results, but if you're close to shipping and you think uScript is the source of a bug, you can tweak the code it outputs - or send it to us and we can take a look at it.
    • Opening the 'black box' allows us to better receive feedback from the Unity community - If you think you have better code than the code uScript generates - tell us! We want to continually optimize uScript and ensure it runs as fast as possible across all platforms.
    • A learning tool - you can visually create scripts and then go take a look at the resulting C# script uScript has made to see how things work "under the hood" in C#.
    • Not everyone on your team needs uScript - Once the scripts are generated they can work regardless of whether someone has uScript installed or not.
    • Exporting to other tools which accept c# (like playMaker) is very easy to support!
    • Since it simply outputs C# code: Any platform Unity supports, uScript supports!

As always, we're really excited to hear your feedback. Both now, and after you start trying uScript (remember the open beta will be free). We hope you are as excited about this feature as we are!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  11. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

This

is

AWESOME!

12. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Agreed another reason to get me all impatient to try this baby out! lol

13. Reapazor

Reapazor

This is gonna be great for converted Unreal designers :)

14. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

This is going to be great for everyone!

15. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

Can you show us a some example of the generated code? Sounds good, but how it will work in practice?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  16. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

I do not see an answer to the third question

17. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

Do you mean Editor Prefab handling, or just drag/drop prefabs? The latter definitely, as in the video he just dragged/dropped Game Objects onto the variable. The former, probably, with reflection... I'll leave that one to uScript.

18. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

I mean the assignment of the graph to the GameObject and instantiate it.

19. Wahooney

Wahooney

So where do I put my credit card details? ;)

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

*looking for more thumbs*
    *all thumbs up*

21. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

YES! YES! YES! This is what I wanted which further removes overhead when compiling to iOS while making it easier to prototype in blocks and having the choice to dive in to the nitty gritty code.

I can't wait for your nested blocks. :)

22. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

I can't say exactly, but from the looks of the video, yes.

23. Havok

Havok

How much is this gonna cost? ;)

24. elvis75k

elvis75k

this is fantastic! keep the updates coming.

25. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

I have not seen this.

26. Filto

Filto

This is great! That it can help me learn to code better is a huge plus aswell! Uscript makes me dream of new projects again. Sign me up for a copy.

27. garyhaus

garyhaus

I AM IN! Do update us with your thoughts on cost please.

Sincerely,

Gary

28. MitchStan

MitchStan

can't stop drooling ...

29. Toad

Toad

Just keeps getting better! There should be a very long line of people wanting to buy this!!

30. crafTDev

crafTDev

31. sawfish

sawfish

This is going to be amazing!

I see UT plotting a corporate takeover... :p

32. jjobby

jjobby

These are really too good to be true. Keep up the great work!

33. artmonger78

artmonger78

A visual scripting tool is exactly what i need (being an Artist and not a Coder). Kudos on the work, and i hope all the bugs get worked out. I am definitely signing up for the beta and will try to break your script.. :) keep it up!

34. rmele09

rmele09

any news regarding the open beta date?

35. zine92

zine92

Cool. This way i can use uscript to make complex logic and also i can see how to edit it. This is indeed awesome. Can't wait for the beta and roughly how much will this cost anyways?

36. retaf99

retaf99

Awesome, I will be on this like a fat kid on a cupcake!

37. marcos

marcos

Colour me pumped

38. giyomu

giyomu

this get better and better hehe, the last feature of getting the output as code is worth the buy, coder pov :)

cool can't wait to get my hand dirty on this

39. azmilarash96

azmilarash96

Being the easiest tool, complex with scripting components. Thats would be good to hear. I just worried when i want to do something with it, some needed components is missing. I planned my project to be completely non-programming. hee~

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  40. tatoforever

tatoforever

Now you got my attention sir. :)
    I really like to see whats going under the hood, specially when there's a bunch of nodes and links. I was asking my self if i could see the stuff behind and compare with the way i proceed and code.
    Not only this tool can empower my guys, but also i can see what they are doing the way i like, swimming deeply into the pool of code. :)
    Awesome job, keep the greatness.

41. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Now I feel like I have a crystal ball or something :)

...and I also feel my pockets emptying and my smile-of-joy shaping up when this is released heh

42. uScript

uScript

I'm not sure how else to explain we have full reflection support in uScript. Until I get a video out or you try the open beta yourself I thought maybe an image would help explain the feature...

43. uScript

uScript

Thanks to everyone for the kind words regarding the code output feature! More to come!

44. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

mean the assignment of the graph to the GameObject and instantiate it.

45. uScript

uScript

Ahh! We use a master uScript GameObject (called '_uScript' by default-- you can see it in our videos) that we assign the outputted C# script to. You can name this GameObject whatever you like and can even use multiple master uScript GameObjects if you want (though one should be just fine per scene and keeps things clean).

We try to keep uScript out of your way as much as possible.

46. Thorgarad

Thorgarad

If the variables are global, how they intersect with copies of the graph?

47. Tinus

Tinus

Holy cow! uScript has me hyped up, really looking forward to it! :)

48. garyhaus

garyhaus

in the immortal words of NuShooz.... I can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Yx0X-eHn8

HAHA LOL! Seriously though

This will be HUGE for those of us less inclined to coding! Can't stop watching this thread and the vidz!

Gary

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  49. uScript

uScript

Good one. :) If we are talking 80's music, I think for us right now it has to be this one until we get the beta into your hands!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8qCEF6WQJM&feature=related

or maybe even

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI&feature=player_detailpage#t=77s

50. Colonel_Klink

Colonel_Klink

Watching this thread with great interest. Anything that absolves me from manual coding in c# is worth the wait.
    Cheers