Search Unity

Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Apr 6, 2011.

1. uScript

uScript

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Excellent news!

Thomas

3. Shaba1

Shaba1

Ok all very well fine good and dandy. But I waded thru about 10 pages of a forum and a wiki and installation instructions and STILL could nto find a link to download this thing. Why not put the simplest thing first??

4. Shaba1

Shaba1

Ok I give up. If this think is so great I should not have to go thru so much trouble to find a download link.

5. Kith

Kith

I really want to give it a shot too, but I can't seem to find the download link either :-\

6. jeffro11

jeffro11

Register on the forums... Login... Click the "forum" titled "Open Beta Download (Beta 5)" Just as the instructions say...

READ before posting.

7. Kith

Kith

If you read before posting, you'd know we...read before posting o.o

8. zine92

zine92

Okay, Register at this forum, http://www.uscript.net/forum/index.php Make sure you activated the account at that forum not this forum.

Next scroll down to Download links. There's a link that say beta. Like the others say. Refer to the picture. $uScript Community Forum • Index page - Mozilla Firefox_2011-07-13_13-54-24.png There's an open beta download. If you still can't find the links. Perhaps can request Uscript staff to post the beta here for convenience.

9. uScript

uScript

Thanks zine92 for posting the location! I quoted an earlier post here as well.

Shaba1 and Kith, you are both correct-- the later Beta release announcements do not specify where to get the beta directly. That was a poor assumption on our part! We'll be sure to include the specific location in future beta release announcements. Thanks for pointing that out.

Update: I provided the download information on the documentation's main page here as well:

uScript Online Documentation (Download Instructions)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. Kith

Kith

Many thanks! I'll take a look at it later today. It definitely looks very cool :)

11. zine92

zine92

Glad to be of help :D I really hope people get what they are looking for especially a splendid tool like this cannot be missed.

12. Ghoxt

Ghoxt

I'm so hyped about uScript.

Learning Cinema4D, Unity3D, and now Zbrush at the same time, and anything like this to make complex tasks easier to navigate while still remembering what I was coding is a godsend.

I still plan on viewing my C# code, and I think this makes it much easier to learn C# by example.

Hours of typo errors and debugging my mistakes dissapear. also I can now code more complex interactions as all i'm interested in is the end result on the screen...NOT the Code!!

As long as there's no glaring problem when I profile my code i'm happy.

13. uScript

uScript

14. uScript

uScript

We have just announced pricing for the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity. To read about the pricing and other related information, please see our announcement here:

Detox Studios Announces uScript Pricing!

15. zine92

zine92

Nice. :D The price is so right. I think the intro price is quite worth it.

16. rockysam888

rockysam888

Do we need to pay for future update (eg. v2, v3, etc.)?

Thanks in advance

17. uScript

uScript

There would be an upgrade fee for major product releases. That said, we are currently focused on bringing the first version to market and plan to support the product through free point releases for bug fixes and feature improvements. Once version 1 is finished we will start to work with our customers to help define uScript's future roadmap. Version 1 is plenty to keep us busy or now! ;)

18. uScript

uScript

19. taumel

taumel

Hi,

i haven't followed these visual programming extensions for Unity so far, just having a background in Virtools regarding this subject.

Does there exist an overview/comparison for the differences between all the options which are/will be available (i just found out that beside of uScript there does exist, Playmaker, Antares VIZIO and ?), covering aspects like stability, performance, flexibility, workflow, support, features&limitations, pricing&licence model, ...? Has anyone tried them all out a little bit more in depth or has one developer compared his own product against others, in a objective way, and shared this information?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  20. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Very nice and well worth the price guys! My advice to anyone here: Go register on their forum and download the beta. You won't be disappointed. I have been using it on and off over the last few months in my spare time and I think uScript has a bright future.

Thomas P.

21. microneezia

microneezia

sorry I need to learn how to read... really excited for this!

22. taumel

taumel

Okay, i played around with uScript a bit. There are things i like as well as things i dislike. No idea if people are still beeing interested in honest feedback but here we go:

a) 14 days expiration date is way too short, more as you normally don't have 14 days in a row to test out more complex software like this.
    b) Unity idle CPU usage without uScript is about 10%, with uScript about 50%, the more you're mobile the more this can be a serious downside.
    c) Scrolling on a MacBook Pro with the touchpad in the uSript editor is hard as it's way too fast.
    d) Better navigation and snapping would be welcome. I really like stacking where it makes sense if you're not so much into all those wires - see werkkzeug.
    e) Selection doesn't properly work and you often get the element below the one you wanted to select.
    f) It would be nice if there would be different colours for comment fields - beside of that nice colouring.
    g) Some building blocks, sorry nodes, didn't work the way i expected them to work, either they didn't work or i didn't grok them.
    h) I sometimes had the feeling that things could be done even in an easier way and i did miss a few basic functions like for instance Time.deltaTime.
    i) The way it works now this is a two screen solution as you can't easily drag&drop gameobjects from the uScript editor into the schematic view. Due to the uScript editor wants to be in front of the Unity editor, this gets annoying pretty soon. Same with starting a scene in the editor, switching to Unity, starting the scene, *boom*, uScript is on top again, you have to click on the Unity editor again to get it in front in order to watch the scene.
    j) It also seems that contrary to normal scripts, uScript first wants you to click into the gameplay view to get all the scripts activated. Doing a testscene with two objects, one driven by normal scripts and one driven by uScript showed this.
    k) Sometimes i could delete nodes and wires only by the context menu.
    l) Placing variables is weird due to their deformation whilst being selected.
    m) I missed layers where i can easily zoom in and out and switch between different layouts/codes.
    :

Overall i had fun trying it out and it didn't crash on me, hurray! I liked the logo and the name. I can imagine that it makes sense for some projects but i also can imagine projects or situations where it simply gets on your nerves and writing a few lines of code instead is a lot less hassle. Well, it comes with all the pros and cons a VSL offers but this is a discussion on its own.

I had no choice trying out Playmaker yet. From a quick overview of one video, it looked less sexy on a first view but what i found interesting is that it's a final state machine and it seemed like you can accomplish certain tasks quite fast. For someone being interested in a pure visual way it might even make sense using both products together, one for management and one for code generation. Although personally i dislike the additional possible errors such scenarios tend to introduce. Oh, and i somehow found it interesting that both products are priced almost the same.

Anyway, does anyone know if you can try out Playmaker as well?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  23. uScript

uScript

Always interested in honest feedback!

This expiration limit is increased to a new date with almost every beta. The intent is not to limit your time playing with the beta, but to encourage beta testers to keep current with newer builds to ensure bug reports and feedback is based on recent versions of the beta.

What system specs do you have? I am on a 5 year old MacBook Pro and I idle at 17% with uScript open. We have not received reports of high CPU usage unless it was directly related to a UI bug. All that said- we are doing things with Unity's editor UI that it wasn't really intended to do-- Unity's current UI is not as optimized as we would like for such a tool, but on the other hand trying to make a unified cross-platform game editor is no easy task either!

We have not heard this feedback before. Are you referring to panning the canvas window or something else? If you can provide details (better on the uScript Community Forum) we would be happy to look into it for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

We just fixed a bug in Beta 6 related to this-- did you see the problem in that version? Also, there seems to be a selection issue showing up on Mac only that we are looking into.

This is planned.

We would love to know which ones!

We are always open for node suggestions and have been implementing beta tester suggestions as they come in.

uScript coming to the front is a Mac-only issue with Unity. Unfortunately that one is out of our hands. Other ways you can more easily use drag and drop on one monitor include docking uScript into the main Unity editor window and also by adding a Hierarchy panel into the uScript editor by using the standard Unity method for adding panels to an editor window (not that the added panel will not stay between opening and closing the uScript window currently- this is a known issue).

Not sure what you mean here. We would love to hear more details. uScript generates C# code that Unity handles the same way as all other script files (compiled by Unity whenever a change is made to the file).

This has not yet been reported by anyone. Any more informations or reproduction steps would be helpful. You should be able to delete any selected nodes by hitting the Delete or Backspace hot-keys.

Agreed this can be an issue. We are looking into some preference settings for this.

Not sure specifically what you mean here. If you are refering to zooming on the node canvas, we are currently working on this feature.

Glad to hear it has been stable for you! This was a major goal of ours as we expect teams to be using this in a production environment. For those technical enough to be able to write code, there is no reason not to continue to do so with uScript. The ability for uScript to also be able to accomplish these tasks is the real value for non-technical users. It's our goal to empower all developers-- uScript is just a very powerful tool in the development toolbox to make awesome products. :)

24. taumel

taumel

I'll answer to this on your forum once i find some time, btw. i loved System Shock 2! :O)

Just one thing: I experienced that non-technical users often were motivated by using VSLs, especially in the beginning but i also doubt that it's the solution for everything. If you aren't capable of thinking in a logical way VSLs also won't help you in the long run. On the other side as soon as you are more open minded for logic, at least these days, it can come in handy pretty soon writing some cope snippets instead of drawing some graphs as there are things which can be achieved in a pretty effective way this way.

Especially Unity, beside of the imho not this groovy languages, makes organising code quite easy compared to more traditional approaches. I think organising code often is much more difficult to accomplish for people than implementing a certain functionality, if it isn't a difficult one. Of course there also exists the intersection of people for which certain benefits in VSLs exactly make the difference and which enable them to realise what they are after.

There exist some interesting studies about this subject and the pros and cons they've experienced.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  25. damien_oconnell

damien_oconnell

Code (csharp):
    2. // uScript Action Node
    3. // Get DeltaTime
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using System.Collections;
    8. [NodePath("My Nodes/Actions/Time")]
    10. [FriendlyName("GetDeltaTime")]
    11. public class My_uScript_GetDeltaTime : uScriptLogic
    12. {
    13.    public bool Out{ get{ return true;} }
    14.    public void In([FriendlyName("DeltaTime")] out float DeltaTime)
    16.    {
    18.       DeltaTime = Time.deltaTime;
    20.    }
    22. }
    Create a new c# script in uScriptProjectFiles/Nodes call it "My_uScript_GetDeltaTime" and copy above code into it.

I’ve just started to play around with Unity again and having spent some time learning Kismet I'm really liking uScript but I am missing being able to zoom in/out of the canvas, but it's good to hear you are working on that feature.

So will there be a beta uScript without the time limit? Or do you have any plans on maybe offering uScript free for non-commercial use?

It’s just a suggestion, but when you add the ability to zoom in and out of the canvas and a proper functioning map view you could just allow free users a time trial of those features, which would be all the incentive I think most developers would need to purchase your product.

Also I know it may be a hard question to answer but can you give me an idea as to how long a period I can expect to receive updates? Assuming I get uScript as soon as you make it available for purchasing.

26. uScript

uScript

Beta 7 of uScript is now available for download on the uScript Community Forum!

For details, see this post.

Also, for those wondering, uScript works fine with the new Unity 3.4 version.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  27. damien_oconnell

damien_oconnell

Was it something I said? :confused: I understand you all must be busy but one week and no reply seems a little strange.

Anyway it’s not a problem anymore because I went with Neodrop’s very powerful Antares Universe (VIZIO) instead.

But I do wish you the best of luck with your product.

28. rmele09

rmele09

Hey guys I just downloaded the beta and I am going to go over the intro documents and all that. I have a question, has anybody setup a first person camera with a character? And how would I go about setting up animations and controls with uscript? Is there a guide anywhere?

29. uScript

uScript

30. skylebones

skylebones

This is very cool, I'll be digging into this for sure.

31. Kid Germ

Kid Germ

When will you be releasing videos covering character controllers?

32. uScript

uScript

A bit later. Currently we are focused on finishing the initial core feature set leading up to Version 1. Is there something specific you would like to see in a video on this topic?

33. uScript

uScript

Thanks Skylebones!

P.S. - your artwork is outstanding!

34. Kid Germ

Kid Germ

I guess I’m a bit confused on how to set up a controller script in the visual environment. When I try to build them using uscript I cant find what I’m looking for. My goal is to emulate the lerpz 2d controler using uscript but with added functionality like firing a bullet. Is this posiable or Is this something that I am over looking?

Is this something I should do in a custom node or is there a way to acces the variables in the script through uscript?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  35. uScript

uScript

Please post this over on the uScript Community Forum and we'll help you out!

36. uScript

uScript

Hello damien_oconnell! Nothing as ominous as that. Your questions just got lost in the chaos of us focusing on finishing uScript. It is better to post on the uScript Community Forum if possible as their is much more coverage there. I apologize for your confusion.

Also, thanks for providing uScript users your node! We do now have an official delta time node in the latest builds.

To answer your questions:

The first functional version of zoom will be in Beta 9 tomorrow!

No on the beta time limit. The time limit is there to encourage beta testers to continue to update to new versions for testing. Each new beta release extends this time. To be clear, the per-beta time limit is not in anyway a DRM solution-- it is just to help us keep people reporting bugs on current beta versions. Once we are out of beta we will remove the time limit.

As far as a free version-- we have not yet announced anything. Our current focus is on shipping uScript for commercial/production use.

Thanks for the suggestion!

We plan to support uScript long term. We already have an internal road map/plan that includes feature-enhancing service packs and future versions. Unity is also just our first stop with uScript technology.

Thank you! Best of luck with Universe!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  37. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

I'm farely new to unity and what i've found disappointing is a lack of tutorials , I'd like to see a tutorial for creating a FPS with enemies that shoot at you.
    will your product have such tutorials nothing big just a simple tutorial for a good base.
    and if your product will work with such a game I would be more then happy to purchase your product

38. uScript

uScript

39. parnell

parnell

I downloaded the beta and tried it out with the JumpnRun 2D kit. The kit is written in javascript so while I'm sure it's my own stupidity causing the problem I just want to make sure.
    Does Uscript work with javascript or is it C# only?
    Thanks!
    B

40. zine92

zine92

Uscript is visual scripting. So basically it generates c# scripts from uscript. Actually not sure what you want to do with the 2d jump and run but i think it could work. Any questions about uscript would be good if you post in uscript forum. :D They will help you very fast. :D

41. rmele09

rmele09

I am looking to setup networking with uScript. I have a fantasy arena based pvp game that I want to setup 4 v 4 matches with auto-matchmaking, is this possible with Uscript? I am not a coder, and was wondering if I could setup multiplayer with uscript only? I would settle for auto-matchmaking with no GUI if necessary, I just want basic auto-matchmaking so I can submit the game to a contest in a month. Any help would be great.

42. uScript

uScript

uScirpt has nodes that support Unity's built in networking commands both directly as nodes and through reflection of in-scene scripts (See docs here). It will also support 3rd party networking systems via reflection. However, networking is an advanced topic-- even if trying to do it visually with uScript. You still need an understanding of networking and Unity's approach to it in order to architect a solution that specifically meets the needs of your game.

43. uScript

uScript

Beta 10 of uScript is now available for download on the uScript Community Forum! Example projects also updated.

For details, see this post.

44. uScript

uScript

45. uScript

uScript

Woot! The uScript Retail Beta has just been submitted to the Unity Asset Store for approval! We'll let everyone know once Unity has put it up for sale!

46. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

Amazing to hear uScript Team! I have been following this ever since open beta 1. I can say without a mater of doubt that when the funds present themselves, I will be purchasing a license :)

47. uScript

uScript

Thank you! It was a big milestone for us, but no resting just yet-- we still have some exciting, unannounced stuff on the way. Now is a great time to invest in uScript.

48. uScript

uScript

uScript is now available on the Unity Asset Store! We are currently offering it for $95 USD (50% off its final price), so now is the perfect time to purchase it!

Click here to purchase.

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

:O For how long? I won't have spare cash till next week...

50. uScript

uScript

A few weeks at least-- you should be fine.