Search Unity

Introducing the uScript Visual Scripting Tool for Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uScript, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Anthony85

Anthony85

I too am liking the look of uscript quite a bit. i'm a very visual person, and I'm absolutely terrible at coding (I struggle with Java, that's how bad i am :p), which is probably why i haven't really tried it in unity yet.

I too am wondering about eventual price, since i'm an indie, I can't aford anything too expensive, anywhere between 50-75$ (20-40 or so £) will be fine, Once i get myself a paypal account though, it should be relitavely easy for me to get it.

2. uScript

uScript

Hello everyone!

As part of the final stage of our closed beta for the uScript Visual Scripting Tool, we are looking to add some more testers to our beta team in order to help us test features and squash the last of the big issues before the open beta begins.

Please understand that:

1. We will only be able to select a small group to join at this time.
    2. We are seeking active beta testers who can dedicate at least a little bit of time on a regular basis to provide feedback, report issues, and help us test fixes and new features.
    3. We are seeking individuals with varying levels of experience and talent sets, but most importantly for people who understand the beta testing process and all that beta software entails.

If you think this is something you are interested in and willing to actively help us out with, please feel free to fill out our uScript Closed Beta Application (Be honest! There are no wrong answers with this– we need a range of testers):

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. Hans

Hans

Wooo nice, filled in the Survey/Beta Application.

4. p6r

p6r

Oh ! Sorry...
    I have waited for this beta with a lot of excitement but I'm not good enough in Unity to think I could help you a lot with this beta version...

Hope people can do it better to have the final release as soon as possible.

6R

5. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

the sad part is i could sign this. I would really love to help, but i guess it wouldn't help at all :(

6. elvis75k

elvis75k

i've just signed the closed beta form.. Guess it is not for unity indie target -

7. zine92

zine92

Did the sign up. Hopefully i can get the beta.. I am so eager!!!

8. giyomu

giyomu

hehe damn finally, finger crossed haha :)

9. yung

yung

signed up! more then happy to help out. Do beta testers get discount rates? :rolleyes:

10. cupsster

cupsster

I like this more and more :) this should be proper add-on when deeply tested.. You guys are serious, I like that.

11. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Darn I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait till open beta because I can't drop a bunch of time at the moment. (working on some other projects)
    I'm sure whoever is chosen will do a wonderful job though.

Um... What brings you to believe that? I've looked at the form and there's nothing stated that. I think they made this even MORE FOR the Indie target who may not have a full dev team on hand.

12. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Signed up :) Eager to (if approved) start helping you guys to shape up what looks like a great product. Cheers!

13. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

I hope whoever gets chosen does a wonderufl job. I look forward to the open beta.

14. uScript

uScript

Thank you everyone! We know there will be many more qualified people than we will be able to accomodate just now, but we will do our best. The important part is for us to stay focused so we can just let everyone know the open beta is ready for download by all!

15. uScript

uScript

Dreamcube017 is correct-- we are looking for a range of experience and technical ability (from new Unity users to long-time veterans) as well as those with just Unity Indie/Basic all the way up to Pro with all the platform add-ons.

16. QFS

QFS

Does the survey sent out confirmation emails to email address to say it has been received? (I just ask because I wanted to make sure it was received).

17. uScript

uScript

Good question- it does not send a confirmation email. As long as you got to the last page and hit done we should have your information. We know it is working-- we have received a TON of applicants already!

(btw- I saw yours in there!)

18. thellama

thellama

As a playermaker user I thought I had seen everything.

I think playmaker shines most in its states and transitions but it can also be limited to it given logic.

Why I'm interested in uScript is the logic generation. It seems like a more robust system, able to generate logic from the ground up, I would love to test recreating some of my old hand written code by building it out in uScript.

seems like these two could either be a brilliant companions or uScript might even outshine playmaker on its own.

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I filled out the form as well. Very interested in testing it as it looks like a solid approach. The videos sure made me "want" to use it.

Thomas P.

20. uScript

uScript

playMaker is indeed a powerful state machine tool and we think it compliments uScript very well. We will be doing what we can to make them play nice.

21. thellama

thellama

The more tools that make development life easer so I can focus on art again without having to divide my time into programming has my full support!

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

interaction will never exist without programming. The difference is just doing it graphically vs doing it in code

23. giyomu

giyomu

what about doing it mentally , I imagine in futur some electrode on your head , open visual studio of the 3rd millenium and you just think your behavior boum blam outputed in code and optimized hahaha wouldn't be great XD ^^....

well joking apart the outputed code from uScript may please some of our prehistoric text coder ( me the first XD ) :D

24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I would like to hear more about the capabilities of uScript and would love if you guys could get in contact with me so we can feature uScript in our magazine "Unity Creative". Please email or PM me if interested :)

Thomas P.

25. thellama

thellama

What I meant by "having to divide my time into programming" was right now I feel like I have to relearn and learn new facets of programming all the time. I've used visual scripting editors before and can grasp creating logic with those much faster than learning a language. My knowledge will always come in handy but the visual editors make it easier.

26. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

I agree. I feel like I'm working on all the art of it then I run into a point where it's like... ok, time to stop all the fun and see if I can get this to work.. *an hour later* YES this finally works... sorta... That's just for one script... CANS if you think I wanna go back in and make all the other ones.

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Filled in the form :) this is gonna be awesome!

28. MCHammond

MCHammond

This looks awsome, this is the type of tool I would pay good money for. As an artist I am not that good with Python allthough I can and do Code, but I prefer to have a node based GUI as it makes more sense visualy to me. Its as if this tool was made for me.

Things I would like to see "maybe it already has this"

1. Can I use UScript to call a Python script, and then from inside the script access the inputs I have assigned with UScript?

2. Can UScript create game Menu's, and can they be edited in a wysiwyg editor. ie. have one screen to see the Game Menu and another to see the UScript window and have any change, change both UScript and the game menu at the same time.

3. Is the conversion from UScript to C# a two way thing? ie. can I take some C# code and edit it in UScript and save it back as C#

4. Will exports to other scripting languages be available like Python?

5. Will you be implementing "High level" nodes to UScript like Locomotion, Point@, CopyAttributes, Keep Distance, Move to....

6. Will there be a database of pre created UScript files for common requirments that can be edited

29. uScript

uScript

Thanks for all the interest in the closed beta everyone! If you haven't yet applied and wish to do so, you should hurry. I think we will be closing the beta invite down soon as we have a ton of applicants at this point.

If you have applied-- don't worry, we have your application. We will be rolling out invites in phases to a subset of those who applied.

Here is a link to the closed beta post for reference.

30. uScript

uScript

After a very successful response to our call for closed beta testers we will be closing the application tonight at 10pm PST. Don't worry if you have not received an invite yet after applying-- we are still going through all the applications and sending out invitations in small groups.

See this post if you are interested in applying before tonight's cut-off time.

Thank you again to everyone who has applied!

31. zine92

zine92

How long will the close beta be anyways? Because if i am not selected i will have to wait for the open beta or there isn't open beta?

32. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Yeah there's open beta. They said there would be closed beta then open beta would come. Man, I don't know tohe logic of doing everything yet, but I'm sure I could tinker with node blocks and figure it out... I hope.

33. uScript

uScript

Correct, there will be a free open beta in the near future. The curent closed beta has been done in stages where we add a new group of testers every few days. We are currently implementing that last of the major features during this closed beta, so I don't have a specific open beta release date yet. It will really depend on what our closed beta testers find as these last features come online.

34. okimoki

okimoki

any chance to get on the closed beta? i missed the deadline since we are just starting a project (interactive storybook).. we would really like to give uscript a go since it looks awesome, and since it acts like a kismet i would feel right at home with it and it would be a real time saver!
    any chance? :)

35. uScript

uScript

Please see next post!

36. uScript

uScript

Due to popular request, we have decided to re-open the closed beta application for 48 hours! Please follow the link below to sign up.

UPDATE: The closed beta application has once again been closed. Thanks to everyone who applied!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  37. Havok

Havok

Excellent. Although I Signed up when you announced it!
    I really think the Beta is going to pay off very well for you guys.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  38. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

Sinds when does Shiva 3D also support visual scripting ?

39. janpec

janpec

Yeh since when? There wanst been major update yet for 2.0 maybe i missed it before?

40. uScript

uScript

The second video in the Feature Quick Look series is now available to watch!

This Feature Quick Look video focuses on Named Variables in uScript. It describes what a Named Variable is and an example on how to use them.

It is available on both YouTube and Screencast.

41. ian-mac

ian-mac

Is there a way to shift click multiple nodes to edit all the names at once? Would be good to have the name auto complete too if what you start typing matches a previous entry.

42. zine92

zine92

Yeah, maybe a dropdown menu for users to choose from. And anyways that is really useful. Really looking forward to the open beta and i noticed there was a 8 days left to expire on ur console. Does beta have that limit?

43. ian-mac

ian-mac

Expand this to the node palette too so that when you start typing the node name you get an auto completed list of available nodes to save digging through the parent folders. Maybe the parent folders could expand in the node pallet too as you're searching. It would really help when your'e not 100% familiar with what node you are supposed to be looking for to be given these visual suggestions :)

44. juan-jo

juan-jo

Quest3D is not restrictive at all…
    It in fact demostrates clearly that visual programing has no limits and eventual problems implementing it in Vizio or uScript comes from NOT to be pure visual programing, but over Unity's idiosyncrasy.

45. uScript

uScript

The uScript Closed Beta Application is once again closed. Thank you to all the last minute applicants who signed up!

Don't forget-- we put up a new video today as well!

46. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

Does the Uscript system for Unity 3D have DeltaTiming for animation and movement and FixedUpdate for physics already built-in,just like Unreal Engine's Kismet ?

47. uScript

uScript

Yes on both counts. You can fire off logic from Unity's Fixed Update and we have nodes that use Delta Time for animating various things (examples would be nodes for Rotate, Move To Location, and Linear Interpolation).

48. MChez

MChez

As a new Unity user, I can't express how excited I am to use this tool. Coming from an 3d artist background, the node based interface will be a great boon to my future programs.

Two questions, noobish as they are:

1. Understanding that uScript will output C# code, excellent by the way, will it also push code in JS or from your experience, will a JS scripter be able to manage with what is provided?

2. You mentioned Playmaker and uScript 'playing nice,' I fully intend to purchase uScript and perhaps Playermaker as well if it streamlines my workflow. What is it playmaker can do that you are not designing uScript to handle?

Thanks and I can't wait for release.

49. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

What about playing character animations ?
    Does the speed at which the character animations play already have DeltaTiming built-in in the Uscript nodes ?

50. Dylan Fitterer

Dylan Fitterer

How about realtime programming (like Quest3D)? Can you change a uScript while the game is in Play mode?

I assume so, since you can change C# in Play mode. There are limits to what Unity can serialize and then restore after recompilation though. Some classes need to have the [Serializable] attribute added and private variables with game state need to have the [SerializeField] attribute added. State stored in properties or static fields is always lost after recompilation.
    http://answers.unity3d.com/question...ue-scripting-destroys-current-state/1583#1583

EDIT: That information is in the manual too (the answers site is temporarily going down soon):
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/SerializeField.html