Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fluvio - Multiphysics Simulation

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by lilymontoute, Mar 31, 2011.

1. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Fluvio has been released on the Asset Store! New thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/95255-Fluvio-Multiphysics-and-Fluid-Dynamics

Our company is currently working on a Fluid Dynamics/Softbody/Multiphysics package for Unity. It has a Navier-Stokes solver, full integration with PhysX, several particle emitters, and adaptive support to keep frame rates up. Let me know what you guys think.

A demo can be found at:
    http://thinksquirrel.com/products/fluvio/demo

Current Features:
    • Incompressible/slightly compressible fluid dynamics
    • Liquids and gasses (fire, volumetric smoke)
      [*] Softbody dynamics
    • Sticky substances
    • Visualization/prefab rendering
    • Sphere, stream, mesh, and voxel-based emitters
    • Billboard rendering
    • Metaballs
      [*] Fluid interaction (think oil and water)
      [*] Procedural audio
    • iOS/Android support! (preliminary)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Omfg!

3. ant001

ant001

4. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Haha, thanks guys. Uploaded a few images. Hopefully I will have some renderers soon =)

5. starpaq

starpaq

Can the softbody be animated through code procedurally and still retain its default shape? Anyhow everything looks amazing.

Edit: That may not have been the best way to ask my question :( its kinda late

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Yes, starpaq, it can. You can also animate how the softbody forms (it doesn't have to emit all particles at once). I'll add that to the demo.

7. unity_sg

unity_sg

Amazing work, very nice.
    I'm interesting about "fluid" simulation in Unity, would you maybe share this or a part of it?

8. Tinus

Tinus

Hot damn that sounds delicious, I'll be following this closely. :)

9. djinni69

djinni69

Fantastic work!!

10. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thanks for the feedback guys! Progress has been going pretty well - I'll start uploading the nightly builds again very soon.

I've got Fluvio running on iOS now, as well. As I am developing the package primarily for my multi-platform game, getting it to run well on all platforms is very important.

Yes, I plan on sharing the full multiphysics package - I haven't decided on pricing or anything yet.

11. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Finally getting some time to work on Fluvio again - been busy with moving for the past month. So far it's looking like summer for an initial release. I'll get around to making some videos and more demos in the coming weeks as well.

12. starpaq

starpaq

I hope Amoebae is still in the works too. Really excited to see the outcome of it's development.

13. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Amoebae is definitely still in the works. I've finished the internal prototype (what the videos were from) as well as a huge amount of initial documentation and am currently seeking funding while creating the additional tools needed for the game (Fluvio being one of them). It's gone through a few changes and polish as far as what my vision for the project is, and I plan on releasing a lot of information soon on that as well.

14. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Updated the link to nightly builds, and added procedural sound/splashing =D

15. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Fluvio is ready for testing! If you want to test the beta before release, send visit http://thinksquirrel.com/article/fluvio-beta for more info.

Beta invites are running out! If you're interested in trying Fluvio for free, get in touch!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  16. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Getting closer to release - here's the changelog for Beta 4. Still accepting beta testers - send an email to beta@thinksquirrel.com or visit http://thinksquirrel.com/article/fluvio-beta for more information.

Demo link: http://sqr.li/ZkP

FLUVIO BETA 4

Huge changes!

- Most of the folder structure has changed. Please completely remove Fluvio before upgrading!

- Rewrote Fluid audio! Added an audio manager component in order to manage max number of streams and keep an even performance level across all platforms.

- Added a mobile-optimized scene. (not in the demo build)

- Created a new plugin system with helper methods - now it is easier to write plugins for Fluvio without messing with the existing codebase. This plugin architecture will continue to grow, until it becomes a feature-rich set of APIs that programmers can hook into. The community can also easily share contributed plugins.

17. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Very cool! I'd love to give the beta a go. Will this work with different collider types, such as mesh colliders? Seems to run very nicely, even on my old Core Duo 2 Mac, how does it handle larger, more complex scenes?

18. Pedro Afonso

Pedro Afonso

this is awesome.
    I have sent you a message asking to test Fluvio Beta 4, could you please accept me.

I'm very interested in this tool.

19. CkSned

CkSned

Im presuming this will cost money to download when it is at the full release ?

20. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Fluvio will work with all different collider types =) As far as large, complex scenes - there are a lot of ways to optimize a Fluid, such as update speed, maximum number of interactions, etc. I also plan to include a plugin for baking non-interactive fluid in a future release.

Fluvio will cost money, yes. I haven't decided on a price point yet; I'll have more information on that by next week.

21. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

22. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just wanted to announce that Fluvio has been released, and is currently on sale for $50 USD! Hurry and pick it up before it reaches its normal price of $75 USD.

http://u3d.as/1Zf

23. pudd1nG

pudd1nG

Hey guys, just got this from the asset store with hopes of using it in our falling sands type game. I've got it working (well...somewhat).

Thanks for an amazing asset!

EDIT: I've got it working after setting the fluid camera to deferred lighting. Whoops!

EDIT 2: Is it possible to have the particles have a magnitism of sorts? I'm wanting the water to join together and have the tension to hold together should a particle in the cluster be moved (by say the player dragging it).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  24. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Great to hear that you got it working :) You may be glad to know that version 2.0 will have a much easier camera setup (it's just one component).

Particle magnetism is possible - you'll want to iterate through a particle's neighbors and apply a force. I don't have any examples for 1.x for this (check out the FluidParticle and FluidSolver documentation) - I did however write this exact script for the 2.0 example scenes.

25. pudd1nG

pudd1nG

From what I see of 2.0 it looks great. After having more of a play with the system I have switched to a softbody with an extremely high break point. As it's an MMO game this gives us smooth movement of the particles and pretty decent precision too, a great result being a water resource that now behaves like a giant water droplet as you move it around.

We're not hitting release any time soon (lol) so I'll take the time to learn the systems in anticipation of even cooler 2.0 features :)

26. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Awesome! I would love to hear about your opinion on the softbody system currently - I've just submitted version 2.0, but softbodies are going through a rewrite still.

27. pudd1nG

pudd1nG

Wow I didn't realize it was that close, fantastic!

One quick thing. I can't seem to get fire&smoke to stop rendering through walls/objects. The only way I've got it visible at all is my using the FluidShader Shader. Any tips?

Cheers!

28. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I recommend using a normal additive/alpha blended particle shader for fire and smoke (without the fluid camera/effect script). The billboard renderer in 1.x (getting replaced soon with Unity's particle system) should render out a camera-facing quad towards the main camera. If you also have another fluid in the scene, make sure the fire/smoke is on a different layer from that fluid as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012