Search Unity

Asset store download folder?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by arvzg, Mar 29, 2011.

1. VIC20

VIC20

No. That's the same kind of weird idea that many system administrators have when it comes to servers. The User is not the enemy, the user is the only reason WHY the whole system is running at all,
    When you "protect" and hide everything from the user, just to be sure no idiot can do something wrong, then you are not better than some dumb politicians and lawyers with their stupid overacting laws and regulations like "Warning: hot coffee".

I have a 128GB SSD in my Mac mini but 8TB space on external HDs, I am tired of downloading assets over and over again just because I reinstalled the system.

2. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Not quite....the reason is because for permission flexibility; it is easier to stick everything in the appdata.

What you download from the store is an asset package; which is not different from mr Joe sharing the same asset on his site, downloading it just with a single click on a link. There are no hidden files in the end, beside what the store uses behind the curtain.

PolyMad likes this.
  3. WishFour

WishFour

I agree. I can't find it anywhere! We should be allowed to place the download where WE want to put it!

4. a3dbox

a3dbox

I had this issue with my asset store location taking up all my SSD space but have solved it and now my assets are all stored on my D:\ drive instead. Unity works just the same. I have released an asset on the store if anyone is interested...

(My first asset so be nice :p)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41224

5. ananta-das

ananta-das

I just found this thread while trying to find my downloaded files on Linux - if anyone is looking for them, they are in ~/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x/

6. p-92

p-92

Help !!

I just bought the space tool kit. I was given the option to open it in unity but I did not get the option to actually download the asset.
    I have checked my library. It is not there
    And now I am worried cos I have paid

Can someone help me ??

7. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

If you see "import" it means that the asset is downloaded in your asset folder. so you are good to go.

There is no way to import an asset that you didn't buy, and you can always re-import them as many times as you want, so there is nothing to be worried about.

Save assets and move them out of the store asset download folder, is only for specific case: In the case that you have a ton of assets; and you don't want to download them again; or if you have many computers and you need to share assets between them (say that you make your game for all platforms; and you prefer to work with OSX sometimes and other times on Windows; and you have a central hard drive on your network where you keep the assets).

For any other user case; you can leave everything where it is :)

8. abc-1122344

abc-1122344

thanx alot man

martinmarty likes this.
  9. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

In my library folder, I can't able to found unity folder.
    Here is my attached image of library folder.
    Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 5.29.03 PM.png

So what I need to do now? If I want to use unity package file.

10. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

You do not have to do anything from the OS side.

Open Unity, if you have the package alredy, it will be available when you use the import package menu command.

Otherwise you need to go to the Asset store and download/buy what you need.

Package location is purely for people that want a backup of their purchases/downloads, and for people that like to have on their main drive, only what they actually use and need, moving everything else to a secondary drive/backup.

11. CajunBeauty

CajunBeauty

I'm trying to do this on my computer, but it keeps telling me that the syntax of the command is incorrect. What do I do?

Update: I managed to create the Junction successfully except I still have to manually move the package to a different folder now or Unity deletes the previous package when I got to add a new project.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  12. Yukita

Yukita

but please help Iam trying to import but unfortunately it says failed to import package with error: couldn't decompress package.......please help!!!!!

13. wood333

wood333

You should be able to import a unity package from anywhere on your computer, easily, via main tool bar Assets/Import Package/Custom Package, by drilling down to the folder where you have moved your packages. I moved several asset package folders for packages I don't plan to use into a new folder on my data drive. It's just an archive. I have the choice to import a package from the archive from inside Unity using the main tool bar, or to log into the asset store and download the latest version onto my system SSD and import, (and later archive that folder with the other packages on my data drive.)

I did a little test, by moving Unity Chani from where the asset store puts it on my system drive to my data drive. The asset store still knows I "own" this asset because I purchased it "free" via the asset store. Now it shows up grayed out import, but enabled blue to download. It seems I didn't hurt anything when I moved the Chani folder to my data drive for backup. After I log in to the asset store, I can still download and then import the latest version, if I want that.

It's not a perfect solution, but I seem to be able to move (archive) all the store asset folders off my SSD to my data drive without losing the ability to re-import them directly from the asset store when I am logged in to the store. I could keep none of the packages by downloading and importing what I need, then deleting them from the SSD.

What makes this work is that the Unity Asset Store knows what I have purchased, and offers them to download whether I have downloaded before or not. Hope this helps someone.

14. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

The bulk of the issue is that you want your packages somewhere, and Unity should know where they are. Either because you tell it where to look, adding one or more path where to check, or because it track the file while Unity is running.

If you need to import a package, you don't usually open the store and download the package again; you simply download it once, move it somewhere else and then import it via menu. It takes no time at all to do that; but then you have to manually handle the updates, and this is another pain that could be solved if the asset folder would be something that you can specify.

AlanMattano likes this.
  15. wood333

wood333

I keep an asset store tab open in Unity all the time. When I want to import I click the tab, log in if I have not already, then verify I have the latest download, and import. This works pretty good for me. Comcast business class is fast enough that I don't have to wait too long for the download.

I could do it your way too, but I like to check the asset store to make certain I have the latest update. I hope what you and I have shared helps other users. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Unity to address it.

16. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Sure, with broadband is not an issue; although many people may be working offline, or with limited internet bandwidth. PAckages are small, but if you have to download them all the time, then it gets a bit cumbersome.

What I described is not necessarily "my way"; it is a habit, since in the old days, you download what you need locally, because you were not connected 24/7. The download folder for the assets has been often a question that was ask on the forums, as to show that it is not intuitive, it is actually not scalable and quite illogic, in so many ways.

Nothing to write home about though...we survived worst things, so no big deal

wood333 likes this.
  17. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

18. Crichton333

Crichton333

19. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ok, found something awesome and also why you need to do this.

Just look at this quick video and download the HardLink software in the comments.

It’s really easy and it works. The video is actually for getting around the problem of long……long…and very long platform switching times, but it is exactly the same principle for putting your assets on another drive. Just watch it and do it. No need for an extra asset.

Link Shell Extension
    http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

- And don't forget to install the VB2005 sp1 before: It is also on the download page.
    - And restart your system before using.

20. leodluz

leodluz

I can't download big packages because my connection is unstable. Unity do not resume downloads after fall off the line.

21. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    rapidrunner likes this.
  22. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

LOL, I guess it is a NTBF :)

23. kcmessenger

kcmessenger

I was able to create a symbolic link(think folder shortcut) from the C: drive to my storage drive.. using command prompt with admin rights. Paste this in the command prompt...bolded values are user specific. hope this helps.. tested it and was able to download and import and asset was stored in correct folder.

mklink /D "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" "TargetFolder\Asset Store-5.x"

For more information: Symbolic Folder Creation

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Leniaal and PolyMad like this.
  24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This thread is old but this works fine for me! :)
    "%APPDATA%\Unity\Asset Store"

Mauri likes this.
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

GoranRiddle likes this.
  26. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ditto !

27. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Any update to this? Many of us use Unity on a SSD -- 20gb of bloaty asset store cache is valuable SSD realty. Would love to move to a data drive without being hacky.

28. GregoryFenn

GregoryFenn

Where on Linux?

29. DerDicke

DerDicke

The solution from eagleeyez seems to work for me.
    Just to make the process easier, copy that into a textfile, set your pathes and save it as DoIt.bat. Execute it from anywhere.
    At least this worked for me. No warrenty ;-)

mklink /j "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" "E:\Asset Store-5.x"
    pause

diliupg likes this.
  30. jamesisnext

jamesisnext

This worked for me!

31. tungdinh1810

tungdinh1810

I just found it in Window. Click on View Tab of explore then check "Hidden Items" because AppData folder is a hidden folder.

32. JasonsFreeTime

JasonsFreeTime

From CAZUALNOOB on the https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/ability-to-change-the-download-d page and same suggestion as from and kcmessenger above:

1. Create a new "to" folder somewhere like "D:\Applications\Unity\Downloaded Assets".
    2. Delete folder "Asset Store-5.x" at C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Roaming\Unity\
    3. admin cmd prompt this:
    mklink /J "C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" "D:\Applications\Unity\Downloaded Assets"

I my case rather than delete, I just first cut and pasted my existing Asset Store-5.x folder over to the D drive. This totally works like a charm!

33. unity_T3RJcoQlFFuzVA

unity_T3RJcoQlFFuzVA

where

34. Leniaal

Leniaal

Great solution, thanks for sharing

35. pagan_poetry

pagan_poetry

I have to admit guys that this method works. Don't be afraid of using it.:)

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

This one worked for me!

wavyeye likes this.
  37. Deleted User

Deleted User

To anyone using Windows 10 and Powershell, follow the steps above, but instead of using the mklink method use this:

PS C:\> new-item -itemtype symboliclink -path "C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Unity\" -name "Asset Store-5.x" -value "D:\UnityStore"

Texts in bold are meant to be changed. In the first path you change it to your name, then in the second path, you change it to the path where you want to place all the things downloaded from the store.

38. zelenve

zelenve

@GregoryFenn & other Linuxians:
    ~/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x/

39. jcftw

jcftw

Thanks exactly what i needed :) I was really pissed off with this, my OS has just a tiny 60 GB SSD ..

40. Magudeshwaran

Magudeshwaran

IT WORK'S, THANK YOU SO MUCH

41. gerdich

gerdich

Roaming is a very good location! "Roaming" is one of this few locations Windows 10 allows you to move to another drive. I just did it. You go on "properties" in the file explorer. In the tab "path" you can choose the location you want. Windows transfers all files for you.

GoranRiddle and JasonsFreeTime like this.
  42. RizwanKhaliq

RizwanKhaliq

hi every one
    upload_2020-7-19_9-42-23.png
    please tell me how can i fix it.
    i am a new user

43. UnityYagnik

UnityYagnik

Thanks for
    C:/User/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/AssetStore-5.0 for windows 10.

44. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

onlyneplayer , funny its old post, but it did applied for my situation and did happen, well in my case the assets store directory reached 10GB size and i noticed that storage on my main drive did decreased.
    So i moved the cache directory of Unity trough Unity3d preferences, but stil that was not enough and well i google it and found this old post , well folks its works (in Windows 7)
    So strange, so strange , but i understand what Unity devs tried to do.
    If you need to save the space on your main hard drive, then you can always execute : cleanmgr.exe windows clean utility which ask you what to delete, pick stuff which want to delete and accept the cleanup process, here i recommend to restart windows and wait for cleanup , than it boots.

Afterthought: mklink is very useful command,
    i wasn't aware that such thing like hard link exist in Windows 7 and newer windows versions, on linux i used symlinks all the time, but windows well i think i just got to comfortable with it and probably i review what other neat tools in command line i can find.

Anyway the positive outcome was :
    start to hardlink all big applications like Maya and save a lot of storage space on main drive, by moving the "big" application to another harddrive and linking it trough hardlink, so that Windows when it starts "big" application always find it! (means find it on another hard drive!)

So again its great that i found the solution of managing Unity3D storage and beyond!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  45. martinmarty

martinmarty

And thank you, too.

C:/User/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/AssetStore-5.0

46. k3ndro

k3ndro

Thanks!

47. dr_goodbytes

dr_goodbytes

What a preposterous place to store a downloaded item. The downloads folder or letting the puny human choose would be nice. Downloading assets from the Unity Store is as user-friendly an experience as being at the business end of a cornered rattle-snake.

48. tawdry

tawdry

Hi anyone know how to stop unity saving assets from store to the c drive I did the steps below and now its saving to both the C and E drives .If i delete the appdata asset folder it just recreates it.

1. Create a new "to" folder somewhere like "E:\Applications\Unity\Downloaded Assets".
    2. Delete folder "Asset Store-5.x" at C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Roaming\Unity\
    3. admin cmd prompt this:
    mklink /J "C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" "E:\Applications\Unity\Downloaded Assets"

Thx

49. Durium

Durium

This shows nothing.,,.., just a chache folder .

50. halivudestevez

halivudestevez

in 2021 it is still there... my C: is full of assets and cannot be moved; there are a plenty on my other drives ... I wish I could move them.