Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Location
    Sydney

Asset store download folder?

Hey guys,

When you download something from the asset store usually and choose NOT to import it to your project (so its not in your project assets folder) but it stays in the list of assets youve downloaded from the asset store and if you create a new project you are able to import those downloaded packages into the new project.

My question is where is it copying the downloaded packages from? I can't seem to find it anywhere I'm sensing theres something Im totally missing

2. Location
    Sydney
    someone on irc answered it for me =)

C:\Users\accountName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store

3. Posts
    Good to know... why the heck is it in that folder? I would expect to download stuff into my actual project folder...

4. Location
    WV, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by megmaltese View Post
    Good to know... why the heck is it in that folder? I would expect to download stuff into my actual project folder...
    If you choose to "Download and Import" rather than just "Download" it will place a copy in your project folder. Otherwise, the files are not tied to any particular project, so they are placed int he shared data folder on your local machine.

5. Posts
    Even better to know!!!
    Thank you

6. Posts
    Yuck! What an awful place to store content assets! I've got a tiny SSD C: drive for fast OS, and a huge, RAID D: drive for all my work. I'd very much like to have a say in where assets are store, whether or not they're going to be used in my current project.

7. Location
    Sydney
    Perhaps you can raise a request to the unity team on our behalf =)

8. Location
    Winterthur, Switzerland
    On a mac it's located under "~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store".
    I guess you could symlink it to another location.
    On Windows that would be a NTFS symbolik link. (Attention: I did not try that yet)

9. Posts
    They should allow us to set a preference for where we want it to download to or at least popup a message when it's done with the location.

10. Location
    Egypt
    Thanks I need it ..
    Alright, Of laughs last, laughs a lot ... ッ Woody Goody

11. Location
    New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post
    They should allow us to set a preference for where we want it to download to or at least popup a message when it's done with the location.
    It is possible to change you profile storage location on Windows.

12. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post
    the point is to hide it actually, optimally it would be in an encrypted container to prevent illegal handing over as it happens now as you can simply copy and forward them

13. Location
    UNSW, Sydney, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamora View Post
    the point is to hide it actually, optimally it would be in an encrypted container to prevent illegal handing over as it happens now as you can simply copy and forward them
    Well it seems you've succeeded in hiding them even from Unity. Surely the Unity app should know where these packages are and automatically include them in the list offered by "Include Package..."?

14. Location
    Hollywood, Maryland
    I can't find the where Unity places the downloads on Mac Lion. I can't find the "~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store" location anywhere. Not even a spotlight search came up with it.

15. Location
    USA, MO
    If you haven't already found it, it is due to Lion hiding the user Library folder.

You can easily bring it up by typing "open ~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store" in a terminal window.

16. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    or install totalfinder and make it show system folders and tada its there again

17. Posts
    There's an awesome app for Steam that automates moving folders from one drive to another for the aforementioned SSD/RAID scenario. SteamMover also allows you to run the commands manually. When you select the folder, it spits out the following commands:

xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\<game name>" "D:\steam\<game name>"
    cmd /C rd /S /Q "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\<game name>"
    cmd /C mklink /J "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\<game name>" "D:\steam\<game name>"

So that should give you an example of how you could "symlink" your asset folder.

edit:
    Ran successfully.

C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity>xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Ass et Store\*" "D:\Unity\_Assets\"
    <snip>
    6 File(s) copied

C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity>rd /S /Q "C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Ass et Store"

C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity>mklink /J "C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Ass et Store" "D:\Unity\_Assets"
    Junction created for C:\Users\leprasmurf\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store <<===>> D:\Unity\_Assets
    Last edited by leprasmurf; 03-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.

18. Posts
    there's no need to install totalfinder

19. Posts
    For windows users:
    1. open file explorer (WinKey + E)
    2. type %APPDATA% for the path, then click ENTER
    3. Select Unity folder and goes to Asset Store..

or simply type this into the file explorer

%APPDATA%\Unity\Asset Store

20. Posts
    I myself have limited space on my OS harddrive. Rather than buck the system, what you can do is actually change where your APPDATA is stored. http://www.windows-commandline.com/2...-location.html

The best workflow for including packages is by creating a new project and checking off the things you want (listing everything you've downloaded from the asset store). But once your project is created and you want to bring in something else that you've already downloaded, there doesn't seem to be a nice way to do it without manually pointing to this hidden directory. If there is, please let me know as that is what drove me here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast