Search Unity

"BLASTER" : Showcase to answer the blog post about vertex painting

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Shibito, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Shibito

Shibito

Hi there my name is Kevin Fernandes and I speak on behalf of Serial Pixel. SerialPixel is a two-men independant company based in Lyon, France.

We saw the blog post about Vertex painting on unity Blog so we I thought I could show here what I've done for our upcoming game "Blaster". This work was made two months ago for our own custom shader test. Take a look at it, it's not that "exclusive" now that Unity might have an integrated vertex painter, but we thought we could show this here. Again thanks to Reissgrant, as your first vertex painter was the base we used to learn how to do editor scripts and how vertex painting worked (although I had a lot of things to write/rewrite in for it to work as we wanted, you showed us how it basically worked). I also want to remind you that the textures are property of 3Dmotive UDK Vertex Painting tutorial which is integrated to udk, thank you for making us want the same thing in unity !

We also have written a custom vertex shader for the "digitalization" of our Blaster Ships which you can see here.
    The game is already "playable" altough features are missing (it's been 6 months since we started production and we're almost reaching a good alpha version), so don't think of this as being just tech demos.

If someone is interested on "Blaster" and what it stands for or just want to comment on our work we'll be pleased to have your feedback.

Thank you for your time,
    Kevin Fernandes.

Follow us :
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blaster-Game/116911251711039
    http://twitter.com/BlasterDev

HERE is the videos from youtube :

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

For some reason the video doesn't display here, and doesn't seem to want to display at all on the proper site. Is it just me? :(

3. Shibito

Shibito

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, it's weird, I can perfectly see the videos, and I'm not the only one based on stats. I will upload them on youtube for compatibilty purposes. Are you using firefox, IE, chrome ? Again sorry for this.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Shibito

Shibito

Just updated the thread with videos hosted also in youtube due to compatibility issues !

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  5. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

So where do I download this?

6. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

perhpas some more info on that really nice shader ?

7. Shibito

Shibito

Well it's a shader I made with SSE to replicate some of UDK capabilities. It features the followings components : diffuse map + detail map + specular map + glossiness map and diffuse + detail normal maps (with all the sliders to control the color and strength of each one). I also put an emission map used to glow only where is needed (it is also automatically animated : on/off (You can see that in the Agon Team Digitalization, the ship has emissive lights that turn themselves on off)). There is also rim lighting (actually there is a standard rim and a special rim I made for the ships). Finally there is a cubemap reflection that takes the normals in the calculation. and finally the heightmap which, for performance purposes, samples the red channel from the diffuse map. Also as you saw I made specific blends taking in consideration our vertex painter which really blends colors between themselves, thus giving us more control and freedom, and did a fragment of vertex shader to offset the vertices of our plane (which is only a hardware trick because it doesn't really modify the topology of the plane).

And for the second shader it's only vertex animated offseting vertices by their tangeant and animating by script.

As far as releasing, we're still working on Blaster (we're almost at alpha stage release), but I think that when it'll go public I will put some of our tech for you guys here (the shader demo were made almost 2 months ago and we're improved some logic behind it, as well as the tools we've made). I hope we can soon show what we're doing on unity !

Edit: Actually we really did everything to suit our needs, so we have not made something we would not use, but we might in the forseable future try and grow the community's ressources with our work.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. Linkitch

Linkitch

This is really awesome, I love this feature in UDK and I would definitely love to see it come to Unity as well.

9. tabor

tabor

Just wanted to bump this thread to encourage OP to release their vertex painter on the asset store. Awesome work!