Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS 4.3 App Rejected

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by glenwn, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Ostwind

Ostwind

Revert to 4.2 SDK while waiting for a resolution. You can find the download from previous posts.

2. zaba

zaba

Tried reverting to 4.2 but I got rejected, it did not generate a crash log for apple but crashed, and was rejected still,
    :(

3. mindlube

mindlube

@Zaba, I would assume that your app failed for some other reason (null variable references, most commonly). Because I bet many devs have submitted apps compiled with SDK 4.2 + XCode 3.2.5. Make sure you are using the Xcode that comes with SDK 4.2, as described by mantasp.

4. rainbow_lazer

rainbow_lazer

This is a very frustrating problem, but I'm happy to come across this thread. Like other posters, I've tested and tested on multiple generations of iPhones/Pads/Pods and things run great, but Apple rejects it as detailed in the crash log below.

Maybe I'm just lacking expertise, but the stack trace information in the crash log may as well be in Greek :) At any rate, this would be much less frustrating if it were reproducible on my end.

For now, I'm going to try the recommended workaround of downloading XCode 3.2.5/SDK 4.2, set 4.2 as the target, rebuild and resubmit.

Update:

I also contacted Apple Developer Technical Support about this problem, namely the fact that I can't reproduce the crashes on any of my test devices. Here's Apple's advice:

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  5. Ferazel

Ferazel

Confirmed that resubmitting the App with 4.2 and XCode 3.2.5 worked and the app was approved.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Can those who had approve apps specify if they used universial builds or not (arm6 + 7) as this may be a major contributing cause.

7. Ferazel

Ferazel

We submitted this originally as an Arm7 only then our second submission we submitted as a arm6+arm7 when we built under SDK 4.2.

8. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

My app was built with 4.2 Xcode 3.2.5, arm6+arm7, accepted two days ago.

9. Digitalvanilla

Digitalvanilla

After one month (!!!) of research I came across this forum (thanks to the help of an Apple Engineer) and after had my app rejected thousand of times, finally I used XCode 3.2.5 and the app in Distribution build has been accepted.
    Now I have to use XCode 4 (of course technology moves on and we have to do the same), so my question is:

How far is the next version of Unity3D that fix this problem and its compatible with XCode 4?

The problem relay in the FMOD. Al the crash logs points there.

A happy user of Unity 3D

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

how comes you used unity and didn't consider checking the unity boards first ... :)

11. randyherring

randyherring

How come Unity has not sent a notice to all of us that have an iPhone license?

Don't get me wrong, I love using Unity and I think the company is doing a wonderful job with their software. But as a paying customer, I would have like to have been told that there was a known issue that causes Unity to fail on submission for iOS 4.3.

12. gambit

gambit

Has there been any issues with Xcode 3.2.6 ? or will apple accept apps made with unity using Xcode 3.2.6.

13. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Xcode 3.2.6 comes with SDK 4.3 so it won't work.

14. gambit

gambit

Hmmm well guess i will keep playing around till someone fixes it. i don't plan on putting anything on the apple store for a while, so hopefully it will be fixed by then.

15. Diego

Diego

+1

It would be nice to have a Unity official communication about this.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

At least, this topic should be made sticky, until it's resolved.

17. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Agree!!!

18. Digitalvanilla

Digitalvanilla

I didnt check in the forums because I thought that the problem was on XCode side, means my fault!!!!!
    Which it wasn't! :mad::mad:

19. squidbot

squidbot

I'm guessing everyone else just got the e-mail... it just showed up in my inbox. Hope this is resolved before I want to ship... I took the Xcode 4 plunge and don't want to have to go back.

20. Navinfo

Navinfo

4 of our new apps have been waiting for 1 month or more, because of the Unity doesn't solve the compatibility with iOS 4.3.
    This delay it's a big loss for all of developers. Wasted time in spinning market.
    It'll be correct at least if Unity says a date when this problem will be solved.

21. htsoft

htsoft

Could it be that the problem is in the use of LLVM instead of GCC compiler?

22. BasketQase

BasketQase

We've built both Optimized (arm7) and Standard (arm6 arm7) apps and had both accepted to the app store after downgrading to SDK 4.2.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

What is stopping you from installing 3.2.5 and then shipping your products. There is nothing in 4, which isn't available in 3.2.5.

24. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

These are interesting news. Have you done any custom changes to the Xcode project before submitting application?

25. mindlube

mindlube

@RatRod, thanks for reporting! I am going assume that we can go forward using SDK 4.3 and XCode 3.2.6, until any contrary reports, or more announcements from Unity.

26. susantio

susantio

HI just want to confirm that our apps also got approved using Xcode 3.2.6 SDK 4.3.

27. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Could you please submit your Xcode project as bug report for investigation? It really would help us.
    Thanks!

28. mda7

mda7

Question for the people who downgraded to SDK4.2, and xCode 3.2.5 and submitted successfully to the App Store. How did you go about the downgrade? Did you just download and install or did you need to first remove \ uninstall xCode4.x and IOS 4.3?

29. jcbadboy

jcbadboy

I uninstalled the xcode 3.2.5 SDK 4.3 and reinstalled the SDK 4.2 version. I removed all profiles to, and reinstall him again.

The only issue i have seem was with profiles. Resolved with reinstalation.

Now, after a month and a half, my first app in app store was finally accepted.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/energized-dice/id428138345?mt=8

hope that helps.

30. Grumps87

Grumps87

Did you use the similar setting with Radrodstudio? I did not get rejected but after reading through these 7 pages, I decided to downgrade to 3.2.5 anyway just to be sure.

31. svenskefan

svenskefan

Just a heads up to ratrodstudio and susantio. Have you actually downloaded your own app from the appstore and run it on the device?
    The reason I am asking is we got our app approved, (using 4.3) but it was crashing badly on launch.....

32. kenlem

kenlem

I'm having trouble with the download link. It starts the download but then end quickly and I get a tiny corrupted file.

33. susantio

susantio

mantasp: We're sending the build now as a bug report.

Grumps87 and svenskefan: I'm not sure what build setting ratrodstudio uses. we just used xcode 3.2.6 and sdk 4.3. I tested the game and even had a friend download it and it worked fine on both of our device. which is iphone 3GS

edit: the target platform was universal armv6 + armv7 if that helps.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  34. gigaplay

gigaplay

If you downgrade to XCode 3.2.5 and SDK 4.2, you'll need to reinstall Application Tools 1.1 if you want to process Unity-created desktop apps to submit to the Mac App Store. The thing is, Apple appears to have removed Application Tools 1.1 from their Dev website.

Or am I just not looking hard enough?

35. psyclone

psyclone

I resubmitted my apps after downgrading to 3.2.6 and 4.3 as quoted, but got a Rejected due to crashing.

Any progress from Unity Tech in solving these issues...

36. mindlube

mindlube

Also, if anyone is frequently changing XCode versions, what I do is from the terminal:
    sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all
    then reboot install the other version

37. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We suggested to downgrade down to Xcode 3.2.5 + 4.2 SDK (NOT! 3.2.6+4.3).

38. Grumps87

Grumps87

Application Loader is actually bundled up with the Xcode 3.2.5. You must have deselected it in the install options.

Submission with Xcode 3.2.5 + 4.2 SDK was successful.

39. Catacomber

Catacomber

Hi, could you tell me if it's possible to have both the latest Xcode version (which I have) and Xcode 3.2.5 (which I have in my old downloads file) installed at the same time? And if you can have both installed, where do you put Xcode 3.2.5--thanks for any help.

40. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to susantio and ratrodstudio we have some bits of news to share. Few posts above they reported about successful submission to the App Store using iOS SDK 4.3. Our investigation of their projects revealed common use of special linker flag "-all_load" (which is required by some 3rd party ObjC plugins). We submitted couple of our applications (built using iOS SDK 4.3 and "-all_load" flag) to the App Store and they were successfully approved. We still are quite reserved about this finding. It might be just coincidence or might work only on some subset of applications, but if you are eager to test it we are very interested to get your feedback.

Instructions how to add this flag to your release build when using Xcode 3.2.6 (SDK 4.3):
    1. Open your project in Xcode.
    2. In Xcode menu select Project->Edit Active Target
    3. In Configuration drop down select "Release"
    4. In Search field type "linker"
    5. Find the field named "Other Linker Flags" and doubleclick on it.

6. Click "+" and add "-all_load".

7. Clean all targets.
    8. Make a distribution build.

Instructions how to add this flag to your release build when using Xcode 4 (SDK 4.3):
    1. Open your project in Xcode.
    2. In Project Navigator click on your project
    3. On next pane select "Unity-iPhone" under TARGETS.
    4. On next pane select "Build Settings"
    5. In Search field type "linker"
    6. Find the field named "Other Linker Flags" and doubleclick on "Release" configuration near it.

7. Click "+" and add "-all_load".

8. Clean all targets.
    9. Make a distribution build.

We will continue our research on this problem and as soon as we are confident about the solution we will release Unity update.

41. JGeorge

JGeorge

Ty mantas, any update on using XCode 4 for the games?

42. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Ehm... My previous post includes instructions for Xcode 4 too :)

43. JGeorge

JGeorge

Wow, sorry, just skimmed the post this morning!

44. jrdata2k

jrdata2k

Got my fingers crossed for unity iOS team!!

^^ plus now I can subscribe to this thread to keep up with the progress ;)

45. GarryJay

GarryJay

dito jrdata2k :) and yeah, go team unity, go.
    Eagerly waiting for a fix, well not really, just make it good. Better waiting another day and have a good fix, then a quick fix that kind of sucks.

46. Lowa

Lowa

Hi, sorry but i have follow the istruction but my app crash immediate and xcode print

Unity-iPhone has exited with status 1.

have yu any ideas???? :-(

Good work!

Lowa

47. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hi,
    Which Xcode version you are using? Was it crashing before this change?

48. Lowa

Lowa

Hi, i have Xcode 3.2.6 iPad2 with 4.3 and unity 3.3.
    I have created a simple scene with one single cube. I have created a build opened, Xcode configurate a code sign and follow your guide.
    But I have received 993 famous warning and 1 error (Unity-iPhone has exited with status 1)

49. CrazyIwan

CrazyIwan

We have here similar problems too. We can build in xcode and the game works fine on iPad, but xcode throws over 999+ warnings: "ARM function mono_aot_full_aot not 4-byte aligned". Any ideas?

50. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

These warning are harmless. Just ignore them at the moment (next Unity release will fix them).