Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS 4.3 App Rejected

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by glenwn, Mar 24, 2011.

1. CrazyIwan

CrazyIwan

Ok, thank you very much :)

2. Lowa

Lowa

But my Problem it app crashes at the splashscreen.

3. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We are unable to reproduce your problem. All our samples run just fine on iPads and iPhones. Please submit repro project + Xcode project as bug report.
    Thanks!

4. curut

curut

Hi,

We have a very strange problem with Unity and iOS 4.3.3.
    Our app was rejected by Apple, because there's a problem with touch input, which only occurs when we run the game in iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.3. The game did not responds to any touch, and we can't get past the main menu because all of the buttons can't be pressed.

However, this problem only happen in iPhone, when they test it in iPad (iOS 4.3.3) everything works fine.
    The game also works fine in any iDevice with earlier iOS version.

We build the game using xcode 3.2.5, and ios sdk 4.2.

Do someone here experiencing the same problem?

5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Afaik we are not aware about such problem. Could you please make small repro case and submit bug report?
    Thanks!

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does it work on the iPod touch? I just had a HyperBowl update approved with XCode 3.2.5 and iOS SDK 4.2, downloaded it from the App Store onto my 4th-gen iPod touch running iOS 4.3.3, works fine (I don't have an iPhone 4). Uses UnityGUI (GameKit001) and Input.GetTouch.

7. speedy15453

speedy15453

I followed these instructions and just resubmitted my app. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

SpeegleSphere

8. randyherring

randyherring

Mantas,
    I followed your instructions and my game went into the app store yesterday afternoon. I bought the game and it runs fine on my iPad2.

Thanks

Wizard's Castle HD
    for iPad 2

9. drippy-cat

drippy-cat

I've been following this thread and decided to take off the latest Xcode and get Xcode 3.2.4 and iOS SDK 4.1 to work with. I tried the link on page 4 of this thread - https://developer.apple.com/devcente..._4.2_final.dmg , downloaded it twice and each time got an 'image data corrupted' error upon verification. So I tried Apple's developer downloads - http://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/wo/6.1.17.2.1.3.3.1.0.1.1.0.3.8.3.3.1 and got an 'invalid checksum' error upon verification. Am I missing something here or is there another (reliable) link to get the package from?

10. curut

curut

Hi,
    Just got an email from unity support.
    We have done some silly mistakes, maybe because we don't have an iphone4 :).
    It was caused by a resolution problem (4G devices have bigger resolution), and the hitTest fails because of coordination mismatch.

It has nothing to do with unity and ios 4.3.3.
    Thanks for your support :)

11. lesliei

lesliei

I am running into problems releasing an iPad-only app. You suggested rolling back to Xcode 3.2.5 + 4.2 SDK, but that version of XCode has a bug in it when using anything except 3.0 as the base SDK - I get a linker error saying there is an "ldr displacement error". The problem is that Apple won't let me submit an iPad only app that has anything before 3.2 as the base SDK. Thanks in advance for any workarounds/suggestions.

12. speedy15453

speedy15453

Ok, "just" ? I tried. Can you give a little more input. I'm getting more errors after I commented out what I could find.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  13. ibyte

ibyte

14. speedy15453

speedy15453

Never mind I got it ....... after about 5 hours

15. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Nice to hear that! Btw, which Xcode did you use 3.2.6 or 4.0.2?

16. randyherring

randyherring

17. RenderMan

RenderMan

I'm having the same issue here. Is there a workaround so we can submit iPad applications?

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

i have to release an App for iPad only.
    Should i have to use xcode 3.2.5 + iOs 4.2 and target 4.2 or try the 3.2.6 + iOs 4.3 with workaround?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  19. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Both ways are expected to work, but if you are in hurry then probably xcode 3.2.5 + iOs 4.2 is more reliable way to go.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you!

Do you suggest a particular target to set for the iPad only? i would set target to 4.2.

21. lesliei

lesliei

I compiled my iPad only project with XCode 3.2.5 + iOS 4.2 and target 4.2, but I get this ldr displacement linker error:

ld: ldr 12-bit displacement out of range (6112 max +/-4096) in _AudioComponentFindNext$stub in _AudioComponentFindNext$stub from /Users/Okan/Dev/Posey/build/posey.app/posey
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Command /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2 failed with exit code 1

22. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hi,

this is known Apple linker problem. Usually it hits you when your application binary is coming near to 40 MB (for armv6+armv7 applications, 20 MB for single architecture applications). There is no 100% cure for it, but sometimes removing 3rd party plugins or enabling managed code stripping helps. Sometimes small change in user script code (like removing unnecessary dependencies on some libraries, etc.) helps too. Afaik it is not fixed even with SDK 4.3.

23. ibyte

ibyte

24. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Stripping and extra dll's usually work fine except the cases when that external code uses lots of reflection. Even in such case stripping might be fine tuned, but it requires some expertise. Please submit bugreport with repro case attached to it and I will try to help a bit. Thanks!

25. ibyte

ibyte

Thanks I will do that.

iByte

26. lesliei

lesliei

Hi Mantas,

Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestions. FYI, my app compiles fine under XCode 4.0.2, so even if the issue is not fully fixed with 4.3 (I don't actually know), perhaps Apple did make some headway on it (or maybe it's just luck).

Anyway, thanks!
    Leslie

27. speedy15453

speedy15453

It worked!!

28. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Have you submitted your application for review or just trying it locally?

29. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Great! which Xcode did you use?

30. speedy15453

speedy15453

Version 3.2.6

I am going to submit an update to SPyramid Lite today. I'll post something if I get another rejected app. I have 2 more within the next two weeks.

31. bpritchard

bpritchard

i'm at a cross road and could use some advice on this situation...

we've been using xcode 4 w/4.3 for a while (most of development since it came out) and everything works great. Builds great. But we're coming close to submission and after reading this i made the downgrade to 3.2.5 and iOS 4.2. Now i get those ldr errors and can't build. I've tried stepping back to 3.0 as the build target and micro stripping level and while it DOES build it crashes at various random spots where it never crashed before. Does it make sense to just keep building w/the latest version of xcode and praying for the best? I'm downloading 3.2.6 and going to give that a run...

Thanks in advace!

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  32. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hi,
    when your code is not compatible with stripping then usually it crashes in the same place. If you are seeing random crashes then it might be entirely different problem (like using thumb compiled 3rd party libraries, or writing script initialization code with assumption on its execution order). If you could share some stack traces I could tell you a bit more.

As for Xcode 3.2.6 (SDK 4.3) I have received numerous success stories from users who added -all_load linker flag before making distribution build and passed review process just fine. So maybe there no need for prayers :)

33. hernaez

hernaez

Hi Guys,

We are in need of some dire help.

We are currently in the process of beta testing our game and closing on our launch date but we are having issues with building it for iOS.
    It's an iPad game.

We are having this error,

We have a EXC_BAD_ACCESS trying to access Xcode could not locate source file: RakNetTypes.h (line: 320) wich is funny cause we are not doing anything regarding networking.
    Same thing that happend to this guy here

If we build it like this:
    Unity 3.3
    Xcode 3.2.5
    Platform arm7
    Api .NET 2.0
    4.2 SDK,
    Target iOS 3.0
    Stripping code - Disabled
    Optimization - Slow and safe,
    linker flag -all_load

We get a hard crash when loading one of the game scenes. What I mean is that the game launches, runs great in the menu and in the rest of the levels, but in one in particular, we get a crash that has nothing to do with the current scene.

Here's the thread dump:

Thread 1 (thread 11779):
    #0 0x02738380 in MonoGetComponentImplementation () at RakNetTypes.h:320
    #1 0x02689884 in Component_CUSTOM_GetComponent () at RakNetTypes.h:320
    #2 0x0175c58c in (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:GetComponent (this=@0xab3b9b0, param0=@0xab3b210)
    #3 0x0036ccc8 in TennisBall:OnTriggerExit (this=@0x2d08970, collider=@0xab3b9b0)

#3 TennisBall is one of our methods in one of our classes, but it's not called at all in that scene. Any script that would reference that method it's not being loaded at all in our current scene.

We have tried every type of combination of player settings, optimizations and nothing seems to work.

Of course everything runs fine in other target platforms and we are sure we're not referencing objects that do not exist in our script / scene.

Thanks

34. nocanwin

nocanwin

Anyone have success with XCode 4 and -all_load?

35. unitier

unitier

I'm waiting for an answer in the next few days. I'll post the result as soon as apple review my app. The only thing i've changed was adding the -all_load flag!

Cheers

36. francksitbon

francksitbon

@Mantasp what is the procedure to clean all target ?

37. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Xcode 3.2.6 menu "Build"->"Clean All Targets"
    Xcode 4.0.2 menu "Product"->"Clean"

38. nggs

nggs

My latest app was rejected due to this bug. I saw the email from unity, but I thought it was xCode 4 only, so I ignored it and got burned. I stayed with 3.2.6 but tried the linker option and I'm still waiting to see how it goes. Apple takes their time after a rejection I guess.

39. bome99

bome99

It worked we just got or update approved! Thanks for the help!

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great! but which Xcode?

In conclusion what is the best suggestion for an iPad Project?

- Xcode 3.2.5 + iOs SDK 4.2
    - Xcode 3.2.6 + iOs SDK 4.3 and -all_load
    - Xcode 4.0.2 + iOs SDK 4.3 and -all_load

Thank you

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
  41. nggs

nggs

IFW has been approved for sale.

- Xcode 3.2.6 + iOS SDK 4.3 and -all_load

Hurray! Thanks mantasp for the fix.

42. cozmoziz

cozmoziz

Yes, I also used xcode 3.2.6 and iOS sdk 4.3 with the -all_load option and my app was approved. Nice fix!!

43. unitier

unitier

IT WORKED!!!

Xcode 4 + iOS SDK 4.3 + "-all_load" and got it approved.

Thanks for the fix!

44. friendlydev

friendlydev

I suppose, I can finally upgrade to XCode 4 now (using -all_load), right?

45. unitier

unitier

definitely

46. friendlydev

friendlydev

Thanks. Your answer is very much appreciated!

47. ibyte

ibyte

Hi, has any one compared the size difference in their app with and without using -all_load?

48. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

For Star Trooper demo it was ~30-40 KB more with -all_load.

49. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Mantas, I have a bug case for that problem i mentioned earlier - (Case 407349) "* Assertion at icall.c:4957, condition `create_culture' not ...

It would be great if you could check into that for me please?

Thanks

iByte

50. J_P_

J_P_

I'm currently running Xcode 3.2.5 + iOs SDK 4.2 -- is that ok for approval? Am I missing something significant by not upgrading? I'm resistant to upgrade when I want to submit in a couple days.