Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fireflies/Anti Aliasing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by lakru, Mar 23, 2011.

1. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

in the last update of Unity 3.7, they didn't fix it ...

2. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

True, I have same problem.

3. jcarpay

jcarpay

This problem still exists today, would be nice to hear something from the Unity support guys.

4. jcarpay

jcarpay

5. veddycent

veddycent

6. reddotgames

reddotgames

7. veddycent

veddycent

I know this is an old thread that a few keep bumping (including me) but Ill share my experience with it for others to see.

I've experienced this with objects that animate in the distance. To fix it I let unity calculate the normal for the imported mesh instead of importing them. I did have to reduce the Smoothing Angle. I haven't tried smoothing with the same angle but its worth a try.

So:
    Select your imported file, whether its and FBX, Collada, OBJ etc
    Under Normals and Tangents, change the Normal from Import to Calculate, then change the Smoothing Angle until it fixes it.

As I said this worked for me because I've used LODs and it mainly happened on the low polygon version, where I set the smoothing angle to 0 but it also worked when reducing to 40.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

8. Wolfram

Wolfram

veddycent: Which shaders are you talking about, and which shaders are you using? If you read the thread you'll notice that 99% of the artifact discussed here are caused by an incorrect specular shader, not a problem with the meshes or normals themselves. Several possible workarounds were given how to prevent the artifacts from appearing.
    So, if you are using the standard Specular shader, why don't you simply use one of these workarounds?
    And if you do NOT use the standard Specular shader, please tell us which shader you are talking about, and post a before/after screenshot to demonstrate what you did. If the Unity normals calculation is fixing this for you, it may be in fact a problem with the normals in your original model, not with how Unity is behaving.

9. veddycent

veddycent

It's a standard diffuse shader with a plain white te. I mentioned that I managed to fix it for my needs and thought I'd share my work around if others were at a dead end.