Search Unity

Daz studio and carrara for dummys - fbx fails over and over

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by atalanta, Mar 22, 2011.

1. atalanta

atalanta

DAZ FOR DUMMYS.

IF YOU GOT IT TO WORK POST YOUR STEPS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER WITH SCREENSHOTS OF YOUR SETTINGS AND FINAL OUTPUT. not yelling, just emphasis.

I have got a few models into Unity. It just doesn't happen 99% of the last two months. And I'm talking about working on a solution that is consistent for over a couple of months DAILY. I've watched tons of videos, gone through the User Guides DOWN TO THE EARLIEST VERSIONS. The Game Developers Forum on DAZ is full of the same complaints.

Please post your step by step with screenshots for us to try before you tell me I'm "wrong". Also link to discussion in Unity Showcase. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/44677-DAZ-3D-Models-in-Unity/page3

I love the models. It's the DAZ software that is failing. So don't preach to me about Indies needing it and I don't know what I'm talking about. Just post a solution that everyone can follow like a step by step dummy proof manual.

Victoria is the only model that DAZ shows is a success. I would like to see if any of the other models "3dUniverse" have been successfully exported with their clothes, hair, morphs and animations in FBX.

Evidence is the best answer to this problem. Your solutions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. atalanta

atalanta

3. dropzone

dropzone

Well, it's interesting that DAZ offers a "DAZ Game Developer Kit", but yet when it comes to actually
    exporting this data, they have problems. Probably because it wasn't designed for game export.
    Some of their exported data, like weightmaps, doesn't seem to be compatible with "game" engines.

I've ask for some help regarding their SDK, but I guess my requests have fallen on deaf ears.
    Either they don't care, or they're not in a position to do anything about it. It's quite frustrating
    when you're being ignored.

4. afalk

afalk

Daz hasn't totally ignored us thankfully. There is a long thread over at the daz forums you all might find interesting.

As for 3D Universe figures : they work. Here's a quick test.

I have also tested Near_Me, that figure also works.

Next up I plan to try out a few of the Sixus characters and creatures.

Back on the subject of Gen4 characters... Right now there is a known bug with G4 exports, the way that the morphs were created have embedded offsets for the Eyes and Mouth geometry which will not come across to Unity. They are usable figures, but you'd have to add a scripted offset to account for the change.

AF

5. afalk

afalk

BTW -- in the Near_Me test you'll notice that the sleeves of the jacket will not conform to Near_Me -- haven't found a fix for that particular piece of clothing (though for in-game use you can set the shoulder puffs to be transparent). As for the shorts - they are really low poly and have no morphs embedded whatsoever - poke-through happens in both DS3A as well as Unity, but since this was just a quick test I let it go.

AF

6. dropzone

dropzone

The "DAZ Game Developer Kit" was first released almost a year ago, in May 2010.

Have you used since then? Has their export of data improved, gotten worse, or just stayed the same?

Or are these problems related to recent bugs?

7. afalk

afalk

I am using the latest x64 build of the Digami Game Dev. toolkit. I cannot really say if the G4 thing has been there all along, I quite honestly never tried using her as a test case until it was requested in the forums. The x64 version was a great improvement over the original software. There hasn't been an update to functionality for the Texture Atlas or Decimator plugins. The FBX plugin has been stable all along.

AF