Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement - Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by semaphore, Mar 22, 2011.

1. semaphore

semaphore

We are thrilled to be announcing our multi-platform multi-lingual episodic action adventure game Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta.

Set in modern day Middle East, our hero Faris Jawad and his archeologist sister Dania are set on the adventure of a life time in pursuit of a great secret that dates back to the middle ages. Featuring an engaging story based on true historical events pertaining to the famous muslim explorer Ibn Battuta (1304-1369 A.D.).

* Debut Trailer:

* Press Release:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...UDI_ARABIAS_FIRSTMULTIPLATFORM_VIDEO_GAME.php

* Free to play Multiplayer Component on Facebook (Unearthed Online):
    Unearthed Online is a browser based free to play competitive facebook game targeting social networks starting with Facebook. Multiple characters, weapons, abilities and locations will continually be added to support it during the production of the single player game.
    http://www.unearthedonline.com

* Screenshots:
    $Unearthed-Screenshot2.jpg $Unearthed-Screenshot3.jpg $Unearthed-Screenshot4.jpg

* Tech Demo 1: Environments:

* Gameplay Montage:

* New Screenshots:

today we are proud to announce support for 18 languages across all platforms that Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta will be released on.

* Support for 18 languages across all platforms - Announcement Video:
    We are proud to announce support for 18 languages across all platforms that Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta will be released on. Of course Voiceover will be in both Arabic and English.

* Language Selection Screen at startup:

* Supported Languages:
    Arabic, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, Danish, Norwegian, Sweedish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Malay, Portoguese, Farsi, Korean, Hindi.

* Story Trailer:

* Main Theme Music:

Vote for the game on Steam Green Light to release the PC/Mac version:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113720947

Stay tuned as we will continuously update this thread with a pleathora of content. You can subscribe to our newsletter at our teaser website http://www.unearthedgame.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. ahmetDP_1

ahmetDP_1

Very nice scenario, congratulations and thank you for using important personality such as Ibn Battuta.

I will definitly keep my both eyes on your game. The site link you gave does not open by the way.

3. semaphore

semaphore

Thanks Ahmet, can you please try the site again. Its working fine on our end.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. DTS_Liner

DTS_Liner

looks good
    website isnt working though

5. jin76

jin76

Looks excellent! cant wait for this :)

Oh and your website is not working

6. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

The URL is going straight to your GoDaddy free-parking page, which would suggest that you haven't correctly set up your name servers, or that you just haven't waited long enough from making that change for it to have propagated around the different DNS servers.

7. semaphore

semaphore

appologies everyone, we just fixed the DNS settings. Website is on now :)

8. Pirates

Pirates

Hey it looks good even tho there are no screenshots or anything
    is this going to be free2play or Pay2play

9. semaphore

semaphore

Hi there Pirates,

Screenshots and other media will follow soon :) the game is made of two components, there is the single player story driven episodes which will be sold digitally and then there is a free to play online component with in-game transaction support. More details will follow soon.

10. DTS_Liner

DTS_Liner

website is working fine now

any release date?

11. semaphore

semaphore

the release date along with further details will be announced very soon.

12. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Do I get to shoot some terrorists or US marines?

13. niosop2

niosop2

Did you guys write separate clients for XBL and PSN? Or did an over enthusiastic artist just throw those logos on the teaser banner?

If you did write separate clients, think you could post some of your experiences working with and porting between Unity, XNA and whatever you used for PSN?

14. semaphore

semaphore

2dfxman1,

The enemy in this game is an international crime organization.

niosop,
    Unity supports consoles now. We are licensed for console development.

15. toby90

toby90

Great stuff. Just sent you a PM semaphore.

16. semaphore

semaphore

Updated the first post with a host of new media: Press Release, Screenshots, Debut Teaser, Multiplayer Debut.

Stay tuned for more.

17. jin76

jin76

Amazing !
    The game looks amazing, and the quality of the trailer is unparalleled

Keep up the amazing work !

18. jesseoffy

jesseoffy

Looks cool and all, though it seems to resemble Uncharted a lot - just from the screens and characters. :) Graphics look cool - I'll definitely keep a look out for when this comes out.

19. ivanzu

ivanzu

I like the game,problably going to buy it after release! BTW how much peoples is working on this game?

20. pepur

pepur

Worst rip off I ever seen.
    Why do you dont make something new? This is Uncharted rip.
    And it look very, very bad.

21. saymoo

saymoo

Unearthed Online is Unity based, is the Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta too? (might be two different projects, and engines)

And i agree with pepur, on that it's a very similar to uncharted. Style and setting is 80 percent the same.. too close..The screenshots don't do any good in that aswel (Uncharted type of characters and fights)

I disagree on that the graphics look very very bad.. though.
    They are above average, but not AAA class (which hasn't have to be to be good!) :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  22. BloodFist

BloodFist

Well, because it looks like uncharted it doesn't mean it's a rip. Whatever you do nowadays there will be something that LOOKS similar but it doesn't mean it will feel the same. There's nothing wrong to implement the base of the game on already existing and successful games then add to it, have a different story etc...At least in my opinion.

To the OP, game looks very nice and will follow it.

23. ivanzu

ivanzu

Why dont you make it then?
    Nowdays i cant make a FPS just beacuse some angry kids say its a rip of COD?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  24. pepur

pepur

This is crap, this is my opinion.
    Maybe if they renamed the main title, I change my opinion-this is first.
    Second- gameplay and mechanics is like look a pre alpha.

25. techmage

techmage

Your presentation is cool, the concept is cool, everything is really cool, your level designs are great.

But I am playing the online version on facebook and it just feels really bad.... The animations all look off, it doesnt feel responsive, it runs really slow when firing the AK47 all over (too many particles?), the gun has no feeling of recoil or kick to them...

26. semaphore

semaphore

Thanks for the replies everone.

@ Pepur:
    We respect your opinion, but are you sure that the name of the main title is the issue? if it was just named "Trail of Ibn Battuta" would it make it any less bad or ripp-off? Also, it is pre-alpha :).

@ eem:
    What you mentioned has to do in large part with the locomotion system I am afriad and this issue is apparent in the bootcamp demo as well. The animation sources we have are all quick and fluid in themselves when they are viewed in 3DS Max. While the locomotion system adds the very important Leg IK (look at how uneven the terrain is) it adds a level of mechanical feeling in addition to some layering and blending issues that started with Unity 3.2. I would really like your opinion on this, would it be worth it to just forgo the locomotion system and leg IK to fix this? would it be acceptable if the player is standing on a stair and one leg is on the ground while the other is floating in the air?

27. runner

runner

Nice and all,

That voice over guy in the trailer sounded expensive to hire, his vocals sound familiar as i can not quite place him.. The Aiming looks off in the trailer "online" but then i have no love for 3rd person view in shooters, Its fine for tactical views but it end there.

Tomb Raider level style lookin good

:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  28. ShadoX

ShadoX

Funny how this works.. I actually heard about this on GameTrailers.com.. people were calling it a Uncharted rip-off. I gotta say.. it does look a lot like a TR/U game.. but congratulations. :)

29. Regularry

Regularry

Someone has to be either very young or very naive not to understand that almost all games are highly derivative of one another. Uncharted for example obviously took a lot of inspiration from the style of the Tomb Raider series and/or other similar games. Unless you do something totally off the wall anything you make is going to be in some way very similar to something that has come before.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  30. saymoo

saymoo

Or, you see things in another perpective: resemblance of origin. Meaning, that 80 or more percent is the exact same in terms of visuals and or other elements combined. What makes tombraider different from Uncharted, or whatever game, the matter of resemblance percentage. Tombraider does not look like Uncharted in any way, except gameplay. Unearthed looks like Uncharted, even gameplay. (that are two factors already) Third factor supporting the first two: Name wise it also looks like it's "borrowed" from Uncharted. both the "Un" as beginning and "ed" as ending, same lenght of speech, even phonetic quite the same. I know that gameplay elements are hardly undergoing major innovations anymore, granted.. But visual setting (scenario/level design) and Characters (word speaks for itself) should innovate, not borrow.

31. Regularry

Regularry

I disagree that Uncharted does not look like the Tomb Raider games in any way except gameplay. I do agree that by choosing similar titles, combined with being in the same genre, they have probably unwisely set themselves up for these types of comparisons.

32. techmage

techmage

The walking was actually the best animation there was I thought. The animation that stood out as quite bad was the jumping, it was way too slow, like he was jumping in slow motion.

The locomotion system in unity is lacking. Which isn't to say it's bad, it is an amazing system for what it is and incredibly impressive feat in my eye for whomever programmed it. But to make it really stand as good it needs some work. My initial solution was to create this feedback page http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/15792-unity/suggestions/1557207-integrate-humanik-?ref=title but other than that you'd be on your own. I have not played with the locomotion system that much, so I am not 100%, but I do believe you can tweak it better than you guys have. Your leg twisting too much when rotating I'm pretty sure can be corrected by the variables just exposed in the inspector.

The other thing I imagine you could do something about. Maybe make a variable to modulate the amount of foot stance correction taking place, and then make it so that when he is running, it doesn't correct foot stance at all, and then when is standing it gradually moves the foot into the correct spot. This would make it so that while running his feet are not shooting around to all spots that look unnatural in the animation, and only when standing still, or walking slower will his feet move to be on the ground in even terrain. I imagine most players won't even notice if his feet aren't on the ground running at full speed, it only really stands out when standing still.

Or just make your own? If you go here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/40431-IK-Chain/page2 my last post on that page as an analytic 2 bone Ik solver in it. You could use it as a starting point to maybe work that into your own system.

33. ShadoX

ShadoX

34. alismmka

alismmka

i really hope u do whatever u can to seperate it from uncharted cuz till now this looks the same and i really want this to work :D yeah and i hope u fixed the animations and script cuz they both were not that good well good luck and greetings from egypt :D

35. semaphore

semaphore

Hi Everyone,

A new update from Semaphore about Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta.

Today we released our first tech demo which focuses on environments (Added to Thread start post as well).

36. Sollthar

Sollthar

Environments certainly look awesome! Congratulations.

37. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

You guys should probably change the name, Unearthed sounds way too much like Uncharted.

38. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

you might want to watch this....

39. semaphore

semaphore

Hi xxxDjdogxxx ,

To clarify, this video above is of the beta of (Unearthed Online) which is the browser based, free to play multiplayer component on facebook which has the graphics purposefully reduced to be able to run on a wide variety of hardware and it doesn't represent the single player portion which will be episodic and on PC, Mac, PSN, XBLA, iOS and Android.

Even the multiplayer portion has gone major gameplay changes and we will continue to develop it till the official release.

Sollthar,

Thank you for your kind words, it will only get better from this point.

40. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

this is not my video, just a video a found that was kinda iffy

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

nice to see the middle east is becoming a hot bed of game development talent. Keep it up guys.

Different cultures make for different and fresh gaming and visual styles, it can only be a great thing for game development.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you have a reading impairment like dyslexia or something? I don't mean to be rude but they sound and type entirely differently with entirely different meanings.

There are other negative posts here from people with little to no talent who are quite obviously green with envy. This is a fantastic looking game. I cannot believe some idiots are actually saying it rips off uncharted. So uncharted invented egypt then and nobody else is allowed to make an egyptian or arabic game? least of all people from the middle east.

I'm english and I'm not allowed to make english looking games now is that it? Oh my god grow up.

This developer has done fantastic work and I hope to be playing the final result at some point.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  43. kerters

kerters

you did a great job so far! keep it up :)

44. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Couldn't believe the haters; this is the kind of game that makes Unity look good; go for it guys. I look forward to seeing a web-demo of the gameplay- maybe a short gunfight to let people experience the action side? Anyhow, good luck and best wishes to your team :)

45. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I think the game looks great, but to be perfectly honest, I think the name, gameplay, visuals, and general premise at first glance are quite obviously inspired heavily by Uncharted. it has nothing to do with the Egypt thing (has an Uncharted game ever even taken place in Egypt?). More just the "third person shooter action/adventure game (with blatantly similar combat, melee and stealth mechanics) with a rugged, scruffy brunette explorer hero exploring exotic locales and tombs, ruins and temples, following the trail of an old dead explorer to uncover an ancient secret, with an older male mentor and a female love interest". to truly not see the parallels is to be in denial.

I'm not saying Uncharted is original, either. It borrows elements from a lot of things, both in terms of gameplay elements and plot/premise (Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, anyone)? But the resulting combination is recognizably unique enough, and this is blatantly aping that combination.

I just feel like it needs something to set itself apart. Take, for instance, Darksiders, one of my favorite releases of last year. Does it blatantly lift gameplay mechanics from Zelda? Art style from multiple graphic novels? Combat from God of War? Sure, it does. But the resulting combination was unique enough to stand on its own two feet.

46. janpec

janpec

+1 to previous reply. I think hippocoder you are just being overprotective, nothing worng with that but still project is looking very similar to Uncharated. I actually dont mind and all that they have taken inspiration from them, i just dont like that you hammer down people for something untrue and cover actual facts in several folds of paper.

Game is looking great, and its good to see some quallity stuff finished with Unity engine.

47. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

I think there are a lot of valid points on both sides of the argument. Regardless of all that, it looks great. I'm sure lots of hard work went into this and it shows. Well done and good luck.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't think its our place to criticise emerging developers unless they ask for it. I mean come on guys, what does uncharted rip off? thats right, SEVERAL iterations of the tomb raider franchise.

I'll be criticising uncharted for ripping off tomb raider long before I criticise a small teams work in unity. There's a time and a place to rip into something. And it simply is not right to rip into this.

49. Baardo

Baardo

Uncharted was directly inspired from old action adventure serials. Tomb Raider draws from a similar background, the games are still vastly different.

Congrats to the team but it is very obviously GREATLY influenced by Uncharted. Honestly though I'm relieved its Uncharted and not something else.

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't understand why people are latching onto what this particular game is influenced by. I am yet to see a unity project not influenced by anything. The point of these posts are...?