Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How become SONY developer?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by leegod, Mar 21, 2011.

1. leegod

leegod

I have company, I have fund, already sent email to sony japan by japanese language.

But they didn't answer anything.

What else need more?

Where must I start?

Can unity3d help about this?

PSN game use sony's game engine? or can be used whole engine? (unreal3, unity, etc,,,)

2. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Sony has a game engine?

3. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

Well, if you're not Japanese I hope you did a professional translation and not a quick Google translate.

Also, if you have a business I hope you understand that issues of licensing and getting approved for console dev isn't a 5 minute process, so have some patience.

I also believe you are S*** out of luck if you haven't got some kind of portfolio and current demos to show them, but I might be wrong.

4. leegod

leegod

I was pro interpreter of japan language. So I don't need google translator.

And what portfolio? Anything game on other platform's ok? I don't have many portfolio cuz I am new to game develope but what it problem? Even if I get sony develope license, it does not mean I can upload PSN game directly myself alone.

Eventually they will evaluate my last build and they can reject.

I don't know why they're so hard to give even any information to become developer.

5. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

I am sorry if my post sounded harsh. What I mean is that console development is a bit of a black box - few are invited, and even fewer can tell you any specifics. It is, as most know, a hard process but some kind of answer should be showing up.

With the portfolio I don't think that it matters what platforms your older games are for, but it does prove that you have experience. If you don't have experience, Sony most likely do not want anything to do with you. I figure this is some of the real-world quality assurance they conduct. Even rejecting a game takes time and resources and they aren't interested in that if they can sense that is what's going to happen.

If you have little or no previous experience I would suggest you look into other platforms.

6. leegod

leegod

Yes I sensed that. So that's why they are building their's league and no further innovation of games but only echo of past old game series. And becoming loser against western developer and game development.

But I will not give up.

7. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

I'm happy to hear you are not letting this go.

Your reflection on recycling old games is, at least according to me, highly correct. Even worse still, the Japanese/Asian development houses have been almost consistently losing in innovative ideas for the last console generation compared to (small) European and American developers. Of course there's a few exceptions to this, but I think the Japanese market is going to have to do better than this if Sony as a console manufacturer is going to stick around for the next 10 years. My bet is: they won't.

8. Phil W

Phil W

Becoming a licensed PS3 developer isn't really the hard part if you're set up; it's the contracts and getting kit (this part is easier if you have a history with them, or a portfolio).

Not sure how it is for new companies, but in the past you may have be required to already have a publishing agreement in place (this won't apply for sel-published PSN downloadable titles). If they like your game, they may offer to publish it themselves. Tip: Read the small print.

Start here:

http://www.technology.scee.net/

(regional contacts are under Development > Game Development).

9. AzraelKans

AzraelKans

Hmm.. I see your point, but to be honest most publishers are the same , you either need to have a game that is already a hit (minecraft, angry birds) or you need to have a ton of experience developing complete commercial titles (demos, projects dont count) to get selected. you have to realize they are investing quite a bit of money in any title that goes to console (licenses, kits, distribution, etc) and everyday there is more teams competing with quality products. And the market is getting narrower. (xbla and psn only distribute 3 to 1 games per week out of the dozens that are already aproved! )

Fortunately right now the most expanding platforms are also the easiest ones to apply to: Web, iOS, Android, PC, etc. My advice would be not to wait to be "discovered" by a publisher, instead self publish your game (along with other games you may have in the backburner) and build yourself a respectable portfolio, then when the timing is right (and you have some extra funds) try again.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  10. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

To answer your question directly, First, you need to decide which platform(s) you want to develop for. Next, you need to decide if you want to develop a disc-based game, or a game to be sold via the platforms' virtual marketplace (Keep in mind that Unity does not currently support the Xbox Live Arcade). Whichever you choose, you need to go to the platform's development page and register as a developer, giving them the information pertaining to your previous decisions. Before you are accepted, you will need to provide a demo (usually a PC I suppose Mac demo) of the game you want to have on the console. If you are accepted, you will then be required to pay for the platoforms dev kit (including SDK and dev box). Once all that is taken care of, you will need to contact Unity and obtain a license for the platform(s) you wish to develop for. For disc-based games, a license is $80,000 per title (per platform), and for PSN Store, the license is $40,000 per title.

11. raybarrera

raybarrera

They Do.

I can't tell you from experience, but I did talk to the sony people at GDC about this.

One major distinction to make is between disc-based and PSN games. The process is a bit different. This is for PSN:

I think the "simplest" way to become a developer for Sony WOULD be by using their engine(with a debug kit, not full blown sdk), as it comes with examples, documentation, and support. If I'm not mistaken, the cost is about ~$1,200 USD, and that only gets you access to the tools. Once you have a SOLID game built, you can submit it to them, and presumably (based on hearsay), their level of support for your game will vary on its quality.

That would be the way to go unless your portfolio of games was already solid and doing well on other platforms (be it web, xbl, or mobile), because I don't think they would spend much time or resources in helping you port it over otherwise.

12. AzraelKans

AzraelKans

This sounds extremely interesting, But I have not heard anything about the Phyre Engine since 2009, and I think the debug kit is only available for licensed developers. ( hopefully Im wrong)

If you are so inclined you could also build a game in XNA and then look for publishers to put it in XBLA, XNA is free for PC and Windows Phones and requires a small yearly fee to publish it in the creators club. Xbox Independent Games Section. Be careful though it is incredible hard to stand out. You probably would like to submit your game to one of the yearly contest to have better chances of recognition.

13. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

To my knowledge, Sony does not have an "Engine" so to speak. It is just an SDK with a debug unity. The cost of the kit is currently set at $2000 (USD). The SDK, however, is fully documented and with a developer license, you receive full customer support.

14. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

15. AzraelKans

AzraelKans

Hmmm.. I think we have a chicken, egg problem here, Leegod is asking how to become a licensed developer, and your advice is to do a game with their sdk which you only get if you are a licensed developer. :)

16. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

No, that site allows you to submit an application to become a licenesed developer. You won't be allowed to download the SDK until you do so.

EDIT: Here is a direct link to the application process:
    https://www.tpr.scea.com/AreaNewLicensee/MainSystem/CFModules/ScreenLayout/nl_master_template.cfm

17. leegod

leegod

Problem is, they require some background of game development to even become just licensed developer to download SDK or pyre engine whatever and require static IP adress too.

So they require only proved pro. Everyone has baby time and start first step.

So how become that pro? Nobody knows exactly. Says first get reputation from other game area like PC.

So I don't know why I must go long-way.

I just want to fast way, just start learning sony SDK or whatever needed and start develope. Even this work takes enormous time and manpower and effort.

I don't have much time. If I get reputation from other area, PS4 maybe come out.

18. Moonjump

Moonjump

All 3 console manufacturers require proven expertise before allowing access. Demanding experience means they miss out on some opportunities, but save themselves an awful lot of trouble. It is their choice, and is a different approach to the App Store, but they have looked at their business and decided that is the approach they want to take.

If you are good enough to make money as a PS3 developer, you will be good enough to make money elsewhere. You could support yourself making games for other platforms to get the required background. And if you make that breakthrough game, Sony will be happy to talk to you, even if it is your first game, as you will have proven yourself.

19. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

If they would sell devkit to everyone, bad S*** would happen. xbox360 devkit can run games and backups as legit games.

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no problem.
    That are professional companies with reputation to lose, so they only work with developers that can proof that they are at least professional enough to deliver something and that have enough money to do their project.

For that reason you have to proof that you are either capable of it (released game on other platforms - sony for example invited the fieldrunner devs among others over to their platform after their iOS success) or you have to show that you have staff with the required track and the money to pay that staff through the project. Also showing your game to them is a must anyway as projects have to be preapproved before you can even bring them to the platform if we talk about the real deal not "minis" (or WiiWare, unsure on the state for XBLA but xbla is publisher contingent restricted etc to not end in a flood party), there is no "1 time license and happy to go" in the console world, so you have the time and you have to take the time to work out your project details before going further.

The static ip is no problem because you need to be registered business with office location etc anyway, in such an environment you near always have a static IP cause its hard to offer VPN tunneling into the companies servers for team members traveling for specific reasons for example if you don't have a fixed IP.

At the time you really worry about stuff you are weeks to months away I guess so I wouldn't break my head to much about it.