Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.2%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Drakelasterz

Drakelasterz

Yes, I want ALL OF THESE!

2. blockimperium

blockimperium

I really need more assets that were designed to work with each other. One of the biggest issues I have is buying assets from multiple companies that don't follow the same standards. Because of this I might find one art kit that is great, but it is entirely incompatible visually to others that I want to use from other companies. I'm not sure how that could be resolved, but its still an issue since many art sets aren't really collections - just pieces.

Another issue is that there isn't really any standardization of how an asset can be used - i.e. is it properly configured to support Beast/Occlusions/etc most efficiently.

Finally there are assets that say they are "mobile" but have never tested the assets for mobile. When you bring them up on a mobile device you find that they are not optimized for mobile devices and the way their materials are setup would require large numbers of draw calls.

3. Igmon

Igmon

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, a way for developers to create an evaluation edition for their asset script packages.

4. PlanetTimmy

PlanetTimmy

Here's something that would be useful for asset creators: An (optional) section of the forum devoted to the asset.

The forum section wouldn't be visible in the main forum list, but there would be a link to it from the asset page in the asset store.
    Currently a lot of assets have their own forum thread used for support, but it makes it very difficult to search or look through when you've got 67 pages of posts devoted to that asset.

Some assets have their own webpage with a forum on it, but it means that people have to register at yet another site. It'd make a lot more sense if people could get support with their existing Unity forum login.

Guhanesh and randomperson42 like this.
  5. stefmen

stefmen

Me as a Asset Store publisher would love to see this indeed it would be a better way to communicate with our clients.

6. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

I would like to see a new section, devoted to those assets which are at sale... Would be very handy to check thos assets under a common tab...

7. keely

keely

+1

First product RageSpline: Didn't set up a forum, ended up with bloated thread.

Second product RagePixel: Own forum which is nice and active, but I bet it would be even more active here. Hate to ask people for yet another registration to yet another forum.

Unity would win by keeping people on their site and not wandering off to n forums. Devs would win by not having a bloated thread (with no admin rights) and having more active forum with less trouble.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. crafTDev

crafTDev

Creating edge borders (so player can't walk through areas you don't want them to) automatically from a waypoint setup, if I had the programming skills and time I would do this. I say this because it's so tedious when I want to create collider locations the player won't be able to walk through but I have to manually place, and scale the colliders. Something like this would save so much time...

9. raoul

raoul

This can be done with the procedurally object tool part of EasyRoads3D:

1. Create a new procedural object and add waypoints
    2. In the editor window you create a new side object, a wall shape, by adding two nodes vertically
    3. Assign this side object to the created procedural object
    4. Add a mesh collider to the generated mesh and disable / remove the renderer

10. crafTDev

crafTDev

That is great but a little too much for me to understand. I wouldn't mind a separate exclusive tool that doesn't require any other specific tool. Thanks though.

11. raoul

raoul

ok, but just to clarify, EasyRoads3D doesn't require another tool to do this. You just define the collider shape by, in your case clicking twice in the editor window (bottom node, top node) which is part of EasyRoads3D. And you create your waypoints.

This movie shows briefly how it works, instead of the fences etc. in the movie you use your collider shape:

But if you want I can make a separate tool based on this that does exactly what you want...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Question: Would typefaces come under art package? if I was to create a few fully functional typefaces. or is unity the wrong place.

-Charlie

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see the following.

Starter kits for:
    Temple Run Clone
    Golf (not mini putt) clone
    Zombie Highway clone

14. SaltSlasher

SaltSlasher

I wish more people would post the cool code they used for their games!

Like the guy who posted that awesome WoW/RPG controller and camera. He made it for his own game, then posted it, and started doing updates as people started finding problems.
    If we had several more people like him posting code it would be cool!
    When it comes to basic code that you normally would find in the standard assets, its great to have better versions. I understand people don't want to post there special code for their unique game, but when it comes to code that is in all games for whatever genre, then it would be a lot sweeter if everyone was able to use the best code instead of re-inventing the wheel!

I also like the guys who are making things like uScript. When ever i can find ways to improve my work flow...I take full advantage. Especially when it comes to repetitive basic code, its easier to know how to use code, instead of remembering all the different lines. I just like the fact that in Unity its not all or nothing. Like I can use uScript, Playmaker, Antares, JavaScript, C# and whatever all in the same scene/project.

15. Desert Raven

Desert Raven

I would like to have favorites and bookmarks!!!

16. wdcstudios

wdcstudios

I would love to see a ios friendly shader which uses a shpere map for reflection and normal maps.

17. Yann

Yann

Already posted this request on other threads, but I think this one is the one : JavaScript developers who are on Mac desperately need a rock-solid IDE.

Using MonoDevelop on the Mac is such a terrible experience that I would pay a good price for some well-done (and well-maintained) Unity bundle for Coda, TextMate or any non-buggy Mac text editor. Seeing all the complaints about MonoDevelop for the Mac, I am convinced there is a real market for such a product.

The Asset Store would be the best place to sell it IMHO : a simple zip file, and voila...

18. kevork

kevork

Are you interested in favorites and bookmarks that go to a specific asset in your project or that launch a browser window to a specific website or something else entirely?

19. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

An inventory/questing system that supports multi player game play and is well documented of beginners would be very cool. There is more but that would be a great start. :)

20. Yann

Yann

Also, we really need a reliable way to communicate with the asset authors. Recently, I tried to get in touch with one of them, but all he/she gives is a link to a blog in Chinese, where you can't even leave a comment or find a "contact me" button - even with Google Translate...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  21. kinajeu2

kinajeu2

I think some one needs to make a starter pack for a action adventure game, For example a game like Legend of Zelda where you have health like the hearts and you can collect hearts to revive your health and even get health packs to add another heart to you health,
    also to be able to fight enemy's with a combo system so all you have to do is press the attack button, And enemy's can block your attack to make things a'bit more interesting.
    It would also be cool if the player can push boxes around for puzzles in the game and for the player to be able to grab on ledges and climb up also.
    To be able to pick up coins, loot chests for coins, and enemy's to also drop coins after dying.
    For there to be shops where you can buy potions to take on your next adventure, to buy weapon upgrades and even gadget's.
    For there to be interactions with Npc's where the camera moves into a position where it lower and more close to the player and looking towards the Npc, subtitles come up and audio too.
    For boxes to be able to be hit and destroyed for the extra coins.
    There should also be a in game menu where you can look at a map, Change options, Quit game, SAVE game that saves position inventory and quests ( well objective that you where up to ).
    A lock on system for when your fighting an enemy, and the player looks towards the enemy and moves in a new style, for example W would move towards the enemy, S would move back, A and D would move around the enemy and so on.

Iv'e looked every where for some sort of game kit that has these type features in but I haven't found anything like it if anyone knows where I could find some thing like this Please Pm me, or if some one is willing to make it to put on the asset store that would be awesome also if who ever is willing to make this for the asset store, I would be more then willing too help with ideas and that kind of stuff, but its all there in the game legend of zelda.

Thanks. kinajeu2.

22. proteinbeer

proteinbeer

in asset store

23. jimud

jimud

more tutorial bits like the c# games and the introduction to collisions! They helped me understand unitys API syntax a hell of a lot!

24. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see the ability to have "bundles" for example buy 1 item get the second item for 50%.

I put my brickout for free for a few days because I wanted to see how many sales it got, but now when I go to free downloads it says no data avaiable and I know it had 32 last time I checked so fix that please

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  25. kersk

kersk

Let me view the full store from my web browser.
    Let me make purchases from my web browser.

Two separate requests, in order of priority. I can't stand browsing the store without tabs! :)

Look at Steam -- I've probably done the bulk of my purchases on their web store instead of through their full client, and there were a few games that I honestly might not have purchased otherwise.

You know the story: away from home, visiting the parents, steam christmas sales, impulse buys, enough said! :)

26. Kondor0

Kondor0

How about generic 2D tilesets and sprites? not all the games being developed here are 3D after all.

27. ktweedy1

ktweedy1

1. Need to enfornce some kind of naming convention so files are unique to the package and we don't get conflicts when installing a pacakge. Very often I get a new package and it has file or class names that conflict with other packages.

2. People including Unity standard/pro assets in their package. If they are going to change the Unity assets I think they should rename them and make new names. This happens very often and can be even worse if the files have been changed and walk on the files in Unity.

3. Make projects install their files into a common subdirectory. So painful to have files all over the place and have to clean up my project after installing a project.

4. Also a warning, I have seen some people including importing processing scripts that sets defatuls to the FBX import settings. This can affect everythign in the projet. I had one that set to no animations. Took me a day to figure out why my animations would no longer import.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  28. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

29. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I think all documentation that comes with or is related to a given asset should be provided FREE OF CHARGE, mandatorily. If I could read the documentation before buying it would really help me to know if the product can do what I want it to and how it does it. Giving away the documentation, which is product specific and not useful to any other product, does not give away the ability to use the product, so it's not like giving the product for free. I know you can sort of preview a few of the parts of an asset on the store but I want the full docs up front. And it should me mandatory that every asset has proper documentation.

30. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

As an extension of this thread, which has kind of divulged into a mix of asset-store features for developers/shoppers vs requested products, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a `wishlist` feature somehow on the forums or whatever, so people can ask for what they want and maybe vote on it. Like, for feedback.unity3d.com, except it's the community that are free to choose to take on a given project? Then people who are considering making a project can also post a given project to see if it will get enough votes/feedback to be worth their while as well as suggested projects from the community.

31. Catacomber

Catacomber

I wish people would use the feedback button more for the items that are on the Unity Asset Store. I find out the hard way whether an object has problems and whether they can be fixed. Usually they can be fixed by talking to the artist but a post about that would be helpful. I wish users would be more vocal about their experiences. : ) It can only help the artist and the users.

Other than that, I'd like to see more art packages and a few cursor guis for those of us not using the regular cursor. : )

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  32. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Fully agreed, those are products for devs after all! Nobody loses, it's win-win actually as it can promote sales of products that have no free or light versions. That's exactly why we have the full docs for RageTools available for download in our website's main product page, in highlight.

Since Unity already requests a readme.txt-like file to be added to any package it sells, it can also enforce this by simply letting these files be viewed/download from the files list of a product.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  33. Univerb-Gaming

Univerb-Gaming

I'm for it - will promote better documentation and provide a better platform for people to find the documentation in one place (future customers). I too have on my own site but unfortunately you need to know it's there (or read the first post of some products) to find it.

34. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

For this reason I went ahead and put the Turbo Slicer manual up with a link from the asset store.

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

If you were talking about favorites and bookmarks to assets in your project and game objects in your scene then you may want to check my Favorites Tab which just got released today on Asset Store ;)

36. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see a particle system resizer. Lets say I buy a particle system and its not to my scale, I would like to be able to easily resize it using some kind of script.

37. CrazySi

CrazySi

Shame it doesnt do roads that well.

38. raoul

raoul

Can you be more specific? Perhaps we can help getting better results for your specific situation and if these are indeed bugs we can fix them! That is what this forum is about. Feature requests are also always welcome.

Without further information I can only assume that you are referring to issues you mentioned in your post on page 13 in this thread, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/82331-EasyRoads3D-v2-is-out--Road-rivers-procedural-geometry-for-Unity?highlight=easyroads3d

Intersections, roundabouts, etc are indeed not supported in v2. It is being worked on as you can see in various WIP videos on our website. Currently support for roundabouts and dead ends is being implemented. Regarding the floating roads issue you mentioned, I responded on that page that this will happen when you place road markers below the terrains Y position. Negative values are not supported by the unity terrain object so just make sure to keep all markers safely above the terrains Y position. The only other possible cause for floating roads can be related to simulating intersections. You render road 1, the terrain will be deformed accordingly. Then you render road 2, the terrain deformation for road 2 affects the terrain where it crosses road 1 and road 1 could end up either floating above the terrain or below the terrain in that area if the roads are not at the same height. Is that what you are reffering at? The beta for v3 covers all this, perhaps it already works for you. If you meant something else, please let us know...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  39. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

what about Prefab menus? example: main menu,character select,etc? are those available? I started with my own,but would like to see if menu examples can be purchased or viewed.

40. Lazer_13

Lazer_13

It wasn't in the poll but I am interested in supplying the store with low cost mo-cap animations to allow solo devs to create much fuller packages. If there is interest then I can put together some packages and possibly take requests for a small excess. I know that mixamo are on the store, but they are out of many solo devs price range. Would that be something people would be interested in?

41. shaderx

shaderx

maybe not an asset but an addition to the asset store browser itself, bookmarking items so u can buy them another time the ability to open multiple tabs for comparison or whatever

42. airesdav

airesdav

i would like to see some sort of quiz system in the asset store as i would like my players to add input and then that information is sent to document, an maybe some sort of Javascript database

43. Landern

Landern

JavaScript database? JSON? Describe what you mean there. Do you mean interact with database(s) with JavaScript?

44. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I dont know if this has been mentioned before but the asset store itself really needs to let you see/hear previews of some of the assets. I know you can look at a material/shader for example by clicking on it in the hierarchy list, and you can click an image to see it, but for example when buying music or sound effects you HAVE to be able to hear it before you can commit to it at all.... it seems ridiculous to expect anyone to buy any of these items without being able to preview it. And what about readme.txt? Up-front please!

45. Mickman

Mickman

mechanim iOS Controller :

1. tap swipe to move character
    2. joypad moves character

Each is connected to mecanim so any characer animation you create within mecanim is easily controlled for iOS.

46. Phong

Phong

I would like to see themes/skins/atlases for NGUI. Ideally every widget would be represented in the atlas, There would be a low res atlas and a high res (retina display) atlas. Different button states. The package would include fonts. There would be some standard icons (pause, options, back etc...). Sliced sprites set up already. In the asset store I could only find 1-2 packages. I think there is room for lots more with different themes and styles. Come on interface designers! Great opportunity to make some money on the side.

You don't even need to buy NGUI. There is a free version that you could use to build the atlases with.

47. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hmm. I think there should be some kind of `make me an asset` or `asset request` system where people can actually submit proper requests and have them be properly managed, and then anyone can pick up a request and fulfill it and provide the asset on the asset store. This way rather than `hope` that someone releases an asset that you dream of, you can put your dream out there and then people can know what you want and make it. Could even make it so the person submitting the `wanted ad` has to pay for the asset up-front at an agreed price, before it goes into production.

Qwolf likes this.
  48. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

imaginaryhuman
    +1
    Great idea!! i guess this if happened will provide people with some new cool ideas ..and make sells going faster .
    so before you going ahead and made your asset , you already know what people want !

49. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Sure. I mean, this thread is supposed to be the answer to this whole problem of developers not knowing what people want, and some people look on the forums or try to understand what people might want or look at feedback requests etc, but it would really help to have a real wanted-ad list of jobs people can pick up and bid on and commit to. I suppose the collaboration/commercial work forum fulfills that need sometimes if you ask for a freelance job of some kind, though.

50. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

What I'd like to see are better channels for telling the stories behind our products.

For example (and shameless plug): I developed the triplanar projection shaders first and above all because of the constant annoyance of having to deal with UV mapping. Don't misquote me, UV mapping has its place and a strong one at that! But sometimes, you just want to change the shape of something and have the texture follow. Other times, you don't know in advance what your mesh will be like at all. Having consistent visuals as a default behavior (same texel resolution on all meshes in the scene while retaining the beauty of textures) can also be a huge time-saver. Finally, not everyone is good at UV mapping a mesh so a convenient way to do it was something I wanted to work on fixing.

Have a look at Kickstarter for inspiration. It's all about the story behind the products and creations. It's a very powerful way to do business. Much more so than limiting oneself to cost/benefit arguments. It's also updateable quickly and without 'approval requests' restraining the product designers to the Unity staff. The product designers can react in real-time (sometimes essential! Very big weakness of the Asset Store!).

So yes, better channels to display and UPDATE IN REAL TIME the living and changing story of our products. The forum doesn't cut it, what with threads getting buried in a matter of hours and competing for attention!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012