Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.2%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hello all!

To help developers deliver the content you want, we've created a poll. Please take a moment to participate! Would you like something that is not listed? Please write about it in a reply!

2. Toxic Blob

Toxic Blob

The reason I chose Complete Projects (either Desktop or Mobile is fine) is because I’d really love to learn best techniques for the methodologies of developing a game in Unity. The Bootcamp demo is incomplete in showing how best to do this as it doesn’t have much in the way of code comments. Simple complete puzzle games (Tetris) or fps (Quake) games would be superb for illustrating best techniques.

3. gregmax17

gregmax17

At the moment, I don't have access to the store, BUT I know I will get it eventually. What I would like to see, and I don't know if this is currently exists, a way to view the products in the store. Either by screen shots, videos, etc. Frogames.net does a great job with their kits. They list everything and show a sample screen shot of every model that comes in the package.

4. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

The problem is there is no "best" or "complete" in the gamemaking-industry ;)

5. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Shaders
    They don't have to look good, just show various things that can be done. I find looking through them to see how they work, to be an invaluable way of learning. Being able to directly see what does what if you do this or that really helps a lot.

Scripts
    Everyone loves scripts. I think scripts for doing basic things, the kind of things a coder would take for granted, but someone not so programmer minded might find really helpful. Again, these don't have to be complex or out of this world quality. Just enough there, with lots of comments, to help those willing to study them, understand how different things work together.

For those not so willing, they will simply act as a quick way to prototype an idea they might have, saving them time.

Extensions
    In my mind, extensions would be more complex and higher quality finished things. These probably shouldn't be for free due to the amount of work that would go into them. They wouldn't be focused on learning, but creating a specific thing. Things like locomotion, A.I, pathfinding etc. and so on. Solid solutions to the most commonly requested features. If someone doesn't need one, they don't need to buy it, if they do, well the usefulness of it will far outweigh the cost of purchasing it.

6. rand1815

rand1815

I am sure you guys are going to get to it at some point but are you planning on adding more ways to browse the store than just search? I would love to sort based on popularity or date added.

7. danielsonchris

danielsonchris

Art assets, but more specifically more prototype packages. Perhaps one that contains wood beams, metal beams, concrete beams, etc. A wide array of shapes and sizes, more ragdolls, characters, etc.

8. camjackson89

camjackson89

Some of the extensions that people are coming up with are just brilliant. Graphical logic editor, shader editor, behaviour tree editor, animation editor... Wow.
    Forgive me if these already exist because I haven't checked the store in a while, but I'd love to see a kick-arse terrain editing extension (think L3DT!!!) and networking extension, since these are two of Unity's weak points.

NOT_A_ROBOT1101 likes this.
  9. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Tom's Terrain Editor might be what you're wanting. Newest version is up on the asset store I think.

10. nikko

nikko

Cheap Things!!!
    Price at the Asset store are too high compared with other website or other game engine.
    Blitz grass= free, Grass shader (made in 2007) free for Irrlich users, Grass shader for Unity = $90
    Dracula Mension = $39 at Meshbox, $140 at Unity's asset store.
    RTS construction kit: $39 at garagegames, $450 at Unity
    iGlass GUI: 20 EUR for Blitzmax, EZGUI: $200 for Unity's users. WTF?

Not to mention the monsters packs at Turbosquid, the Low poly dragons at The3dstudio etc... that are sometime 50% less expensive than in the Asset store.

CHEAP things. If people check the asset store, it is a big turn off to see all these expensive extensions. Unity is cheap, let's stay on the same line for the asset store. No way that a game prototype costs the same as Unity itself !!!

11. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Unity pro is cheap. Why? Because you will need the rest of your money to get the complete experience(talking about basic stuff like shader editors, play editors and all other editors that should've been in the main product)
    It's like most of these stuff were not in unity on purpose

12. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Pricing is up to the individual artist/programmer. With that said, I hope to see more high quality content on the asset store. Would love to see more "complete projects".

Thomas P.

13. caitlyn

caitlyn

Well.. not really-- what Unity has (and doesn't have) is a function of demand of our users and the priorities of our devteam to meet this demand. Our devs keep quite busy and we do not deliberately withhold features in order to sell them on the Asset Store. Basically 70% of asset store sales go to the creator of the package, not to us, so.. in terms of doing things financially for our own business, it is in our best interest to integrate new features into the product itself.

That being said, since we cannot do everything at once, the Asset Store and Unity's editor plugin extensibility is a fantastic way for developers to add the features they want directly and immediately to the toolset. The ingenuity, drive, cleverness and productivity of content providers is stunningly impressive and is already extending Unity in ways we didn't think possible outside of an internal release.

There's a constant flow of cool new functionality coming in, a lot of it not yet announced or on the store, which will bring even more power to the Unity user. This material is (and will continue to be) coming from ingenious entrepreneurs, university research departments, both small and large studios, and a lot of other places.. the possibilities are very exciting.

chadiik, BlockFade and KezzB like this.
  14. Acumen

Acumen

What I'd find extremely interesting is to see what these "ArtPackages" guys actually be interested in ?
    I made a similar thread and many others before, but it's not really clear what exactly would be interesting and considered to purchase.
    Can't you not track these guys down and demand a clear answer or else they will be banned ? Just asking :D

Alexyousee likes this.
  15. Demostenes

Demostenes

I would welcome some better structure of asset store. There is more and more assets and it starting to be problem. For example I scroll down, I see interesting asset, I click on the asset, then klick back and I have to scoll down again to continue where I stopped before. This is very bothering and could be solved by opening details in new window. Soon it would be necessary to add some full text search and sub categories.

CooperativeYogi and Deleted User like this.
  16. caitlyn

caitlyn

How about some AAA quality multipurpose game frameworks?

* A multipurpose, flexible enemy prefab.. It contains a basic enemy game object, with a script with the following parameters: target transform, slots for maybe 6 different animations (walk, run, attack1, attack2, shoot, idle, die), death particle, attack player trigger distance, field of view angle, walk and run speed, shooter flag (bool), and reference projectile prefab w/lifespan parameters, patrol path/waypoints.. spawn point prefab with reference to enemies.. it can simply broadcast or send a message to its target so they communicate easily when it attacks, dies, etc. Super-flexible yet easy to use, modify and customize, with which /most/ basic enemies can be created... set the parameters and target and go!

* An AAA quality multipurpose 3rd Person 3D character and camera setup which can move in any of the ways you can in Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Banjo Kazooie, or other popular action adventure format, with ropes, double-jump, ladders which you can climb up/down (both automatically or manually move up/down with controller), cliffs and poles to scale, pulling up, shimmying side to side, shooting from a first person camera, jump pads, slide rails, swimming, moving platforms, zip lines, tight ropes.. although we have examples in tutorials like Lerpz and Penelope, a few great complete projects, and a few prefab products out there like this, I've never seen it done to this degree of flexibility with the sole intention of being a toolkit.

* A vehicle kit entirely compatible with this system. Can contain a reference to the driving animation(s). Hop in and go!

* A point-and-click adventure game template system, with dialog trees and events, so you could make something like LucasArts or TellTale interactive adventure games.

At the core of these products would be a framework philosophy-- not just reselling your existing project, but a complete framework design. And they would need to be smooth, optimized, pleasing and console quality. Personally this is something _I_ would love to have, as someone who enjoys making games in my (somewhat scarce) free time. And I think if done right, someone could make a lot of money selling them on the Asset Store!

17. Demostenes

Demostenes

That advanced 3rd person character setup sounds good.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

point and click adventure game would be great!

19. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I'm dying for a cut scene editor like Verve for Torque.

20. celadon

celadon

I'm an "Art packages" guy... I would really like some steampunk / victorian character models. I'm just looking for a few right now, for prototyping. I will be making or commissioning high-quality models with lots of different animations once we get into full production, but we don't yet know exactly what we need, so I just want a few simple ones for prototyping. All of the available models seem to be either modern soldier types, or fantasy types. I need a couple of men and a couple of women, with very basic animations (e.g. idle, walk, run). I will also need other steampunk / victorian models like carriages, steam engines, etc.

It seems like there would be a market for stuff from this era, steampunk is pretty big right now...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. Muzzn

Muzzn

What I'd love to see is some really nice tutorials, perhaps about editor scripting?

Chihippo likes this.
  22. Josh_Amsterdam

Josh_Amsterdam

Muzz5, I'm actually thinking about creating this tutorial! I've been learning it myself and getting terribly frustrated about the lack of documentation (other then the scripting reference). Sometime soon I'll post a thread about this to check out how large the demand for this would be. I also have to figure out if I can afford to make it for free (I'd prefer to, since the community has also done a lot for me ^.^) or if I'll have to charge a small fee for time invested - and if this won't turn away people from getting it.

23. apothecary

apothecary

I disagree with the "cheap things" notion, as I would not want one to drive down the market value of otherwise great assets.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. maidamedia

maidamedia

I would like an FX pack like this for Torque. Is anyone working on a pack like this?:razz:

25. flim

flim

None of the list.

I want more game tutorials.

Miya7 likes this.
  26. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  27. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

28. BHS

BHS

I would like to see PAYPAL!

Darkgaze and Deleted User like this.
  29. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

1) I would like to see dependency detection. I.e. Several Asset Store items may include the Unity Standard Assets even though they didn't change anything in the standard assets which bloats the download size, and also might collide with existing files when you import those packages.

Instead, a standard asset reference should be included in the package, that way if you already have standard assets, then you can avoid a collision.

2) Extend #1 to also detect dependencies for other projects. I.e. PlayMaker. For a project that uses PlayMaker animations, it would just reference the PlayMaker dependency that way your project doesn't include the entire PlayMaker package. Otherwise that effectively would include another publisher's work. And then all the publishers can play nice with each other.

3) When your project utilizes an Asset Store package, you would get notifications for the updates. Without needing to browse that item in the Asset Store to see there's been an update.

Chihippo likes this.
  30. LaneFox

LaneFox

second'd

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  31. Rafes

Rafes

Number 3 would be nice!

The others... I'm pretty sure if you already have something it doesn't import it again unless the folder structure is different. ?

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A set of the fastest mobile shaders on the planet like fake DOF, blur and tint, SSO, and all the other cool effects but hand-optimized for maximum speed on mobiles... The wallet would open.

33. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

A great extension would be something for dynamic sound and music kind of like Wwise or something. There was a gu who created one and demonstrated it, but I don't remember what it was called and you had to implement it through coding to get it to work. Something for dynamic music and sound on the asset store would be wonderful.

34. MrBurns

MrBurns

Personally, I would like to have something like a "Pro" and "Hobby" asset separation, maybe through some sort of checkbox. This is not to offend anybody, though ;). But it is getting pretty hard to find useful assets for commercial projects since more and more hobby assets start to live. User voting is not suitable for this, since it is subjective. For example assets like the hard surface shaders, could be considered "Pro" as well as anything that delivers content to be used in professional productions. Maybe Unity could add some kind of assessment, where they judge for every more often used asset if it can be considered Pro or not...

I think something like that can't be done on plain community feedback. This would really have to be moderated by Unity or whoever is able to make this decision correctly. Also some tagging whether an asset belongs to mobile/desktop would be nice.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  35. MrBurns

MrBurns

I am sure everyone would love to have something like that ;). But personally this sounds more like a whole FPS Sandbox. For most of this stuff you would need a intimate knowledge of the environment, and make many assumption about the resulting game itself. Though it may work quite well if you only want to create your derivative of an existing shooter game. It would be some sort of holy grail, if someone would manage to extract all required information just from the raw polygon soup ;). We are working on a somewhat similar project right now, but I don't really think we could integrate it into Unity itself. There is just too much information and knowledge needed to get it work flawlessly and efficient, so that the result is far to self contained to be used as asset framework.

36. yoyo

yoyo

Yes please!

Bundling others work with your own seems a lot like theft -- especially if you are offering a $5 extension to a $100 package (for example).

Another use case (which I'm facing) is if I have created a set of packages all of which depend on a common foundation. I don't want to include the common elements in each package, because then someone who downloads two of my packages will get conflicting copies of the common stuff. For this use case, I'm considering adding the .unitypackage files of the common package to each of the other packages. This shows up as an asset in the Project window which the user can double-click on for import. Not ideal, but better than the alternatives?

37. wizardious

wizardious

How about the ability to actually log on!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  38. polyphobia3d

polyphobia3d

i'd like to see the salenumbers inside the store so its possible to evaluate if it even worth supplying more assets to the store, i guess the extensions and scripts run pretty well, but artwise its super hard to tell as this stuff has to be pretty generic to be used in many games or might lose value do to beeing very specific and beeing used in only a couple of productions.

marincastefan likes this.
  39. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

#1, imo! Without this, there's really some room for confusion (on the end-user side) for extension or dependent products, and devs feel compelled to these silly me-too races and reinvent-the-wheel products instead of adding up value to existing and well-established products.

40. Rafes

Rafes

Can you explain what you mean here? Dependency detection, if I understand the OP, would simply not re-import something you already have. I thought this already happened though, at least for the same package.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

kick ass mobile shaders that run super fast :p

42. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I originally meant it as "not allowing the user to purchase it without having its prerequisites". On a second thought though, that wouldnt work coz the Unity license is non-exclusive - that is, you could have bought the requirement elsewhere. So prolly the ideal would be a pop up during the purchase where the client would confirm that it owns the required components. And/or checking if you have imported the pre-reqs before importing the product in the asset store screen.

43. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

I could use a good energetic shield shader that works on dx9
    Thinking about the shield barriers as there are in Half-Life 2.

44. nomnomnomplant

nomnomnomplant

Unity extension that will allow you to creat textures or 2d art while still in unity... Maybe some sort of pixel art creator or something:)

It seems like a lot of works to transfer your images you make in photoshop etc. to unity
    Just an idea...

Edit: ragepixel made an appearance 40 minutes after I posted this...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  45. bluee

bluee

Hmm thanks for sharing this wonderful post, I really like to your thread.It is quite helpful discussion according to me, thank you so much for the impressive post......

46. Rafes

Rafes

Why is this a lot of work? I find it happens instantly, and a photoshop document is a much more organized environment for revisions, etc.

47. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

Thanks Unity for putting free music packs on the Asset store. Those music packs are very useful in my games. But it would be nice to have a Horror music pack too. That would be almost all the games genres out there. Thanks!

48. keely

keely

I think he means the part where you need to build atlases and fight with getting stuff correctly on meshes. Typical problems in making 2D game with Unity.

49. dragonstar

dragonstar

i was thinking about one asset for mobile is a character ho can drive a car or jeep what i mean the player can get in on the car and get out

50. spy60694

spy60694

i really need scripts because i'm not the best at that, and i can do art work and modeling better.