Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v2 is out – Road, rivers, procedural geometry for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Mar 18, 2011.

1. raoul

raoul

[update 13-03-2014] here is a quick preview of the upcoming v3 system

EasyRoads3D v2, the road rivers creation, for Unity, is out. Apart from roads and rivers, you can create your own type of procedural geometry right in the Unity Editor. For all features and demo videos visit http://www.unityterraintools.com (free demo project also available for download). The demo project has some limitations, it is recommeneded to especially read the part about "side objects" the text file "demo specific notes - limitations". let me know how it works for you!

Everyone who contacted me over the last couple of months, thank you for your patience and also many thanks for all the feedback during the beta period!

[updated images 01-11-2011]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. Col. Phil Bilko

Col. Phil Bilko

The price is right, the quality is right, the tool is awesome! Consider one license + Upgrade package sold as soon as I start my little racing game project. Will save so much time. Keep up the amazing work! Top notch stuff here!

Regards;

Steve

Himanshuchahar likes this.
  3. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Fantastic - I'm looking forward to playing with it tonight :)

I take it those who pre ordered will get new download links emailed?

4. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Awesome work, nice one!

5. raoul

raoul

Thanks guys!

That's the idea ;)

@AbsoluteBreeze, just open a project with EasyRoads3D already installed and select one of the EasyRoads3D objects. You will get a notification that an update is available with instant download option.

6. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Updated! important fixes and very useful improvements...thanks!

7. pakfront

pakfront

Looks great. Is this an Editor only tool or can it be used to dynamically build roads at game runtime, given a spline path or something similar?

8. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Can I download the demo and use my serial instead "demo" for activation ? In the past you have sent a separate download link for the full version.

9. artician

artician

Will this eventually make it to the Asset Store? I don't use Paypal.

10. p6r

p6r

Same question as Gaspedal !?!
    Could you send your customers an e-mail with a direct download link (like for your beta file !) ? Thanks...

6R

11. raoul

raoul

I didn’t really know what to expect yesterday when I announced the release as preordering with beta access was already possible for the last 4 months but I have to say, thank you so much everybody who purchased and also upgraded from version 1 the last 24 hours!

Many new things coming up in the next few months, including side object packages!

@ Gaspedal and p6r. AbsoluteBreeze asked the same question. Just open a project with EasyRoads3D installed and select one of the EasyRoads3D objects. You will get a notification and access to the download link. The demo is a Unity project not a package and your v2 serial will not work on the demo project either. As I am also receiving quite some emails about this, I will prepare and send out an email with the download link anyway next monday .

@pakfront, it is an editor tool, but contact me through my website or send me a PM if you are interested in a customized version that can be used at runtime. I have done that before. In fact the very first version of EasyRoads3D also was a standalone tool.

@artician, yes, EasyRoads3D Pro will be. I will prepare things next week for the assetstore and submit. Just a note, you do not need a Paypal account to purchase on the Paypal website through my website. If you have a cc, that will work fine.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  12. p6r

p6r

Great, Raoul !!!
    Thanks a lot...

6R

13. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

This is so freakin great.. I was looking for this for quite a while now.. I ordered some tutorials on making procedural roads in Houdini, but this takes the cake!

I will be buying the pro version, as Soon as my paypal has recieved my bank wire :( We don't use creditcards that much here in Holland..

14. Crioca

Crioca

Will this work with in game procedural terrain generation? i.e will I be able to use it to build a coherent road structure between nodes on procedurally generated map?

15. raoul

raoul

Thanks ThomasQ!

Crioca, EasyRoads3D is an Editor tool. It will modify the terrain object as it is, so if you procedurally generated it in the editor it will work just fine. Send me a PM if you need a solution for terrains generated at runtime.

A general comment, I received some emails about side objects and there seem to be some confusion about a note I made about side object packages I am working on. You do not need these packages! The idea is actually that you create your own side objects using the Side Object Manager. The demo includes some examples you can look at and use as a start. The future side object packages are for example for those who are working on game prototypes and need quick results or those who like to stay away from the modelling aspect of game development as much as possible.

16. raoul

raoul

EasyRoads3D Pro is now also available in the Assetstore!

17. mikesgames

mikesgames

Hey!

I have a question:

Is it possible to make crossroads?

18. raoul

raoul

Hey Mike,

Not at the moment, crossroads is one of the things new things I am working on right now. There is an option to export to .obj so meanwhile you can add the crossroads in a modeling app.

19. angel_m

angel_m

Is there any limitation in the terrain resolution and size for your tool to work well?
    I ask this because I use a low resolution terrain (heightmap) but very large in size (in order to have a good performance) and maybe your tool is not enough accurate in that conditions...

20. raoul

raoul

What terrain resolution and size are you using? I have tested EasyRoads3D on terrain sizes up to 5000x5000, resolution 257. A low terrain resolution and also a very large size means you will have to use higher indent (check the manual, section markers) values to make sure that terrain points within the area near the road are covered by the main road shape. The minimum required indent value is automatically set based on the terrain size and resolution but you may have to increase them a little bit more for specific markers depending on how hilly the terrain is in that area. So yes, it can be done. You can experiment with the demo and see if it works for you. Just create a new scene with a new terrain object.

So in short, in terms of terrain detail near the road, you are limited by the terrain settings you use, not by the accuracy of the results performed by EasyRoads3D.

Let me know if you have further questions!

21. Route 66 Rambler

Route 66 Rambler

I've been using Easyroads on a terrain that is 10000x10000 with a heightmap resolution of 2049. This represents a 90 x 90 mile square of Northern Arizona on Route 66 and Interstate 40.

Easyroads works fantastic for what I am working on, and I'll be upgrading to V2 any minute now. The potential for including guardrails and bridges in the layout of the road is a fantastic time and effort saver. And the ability to modify terrain quickly and accurately for placing buildings, ditches, parking, driveways, dirt roads, rivers etc. is pretty well as good as it gets, in my opinion.

It takes a little practice to get the hang of how it works and the little things that form best practice, but the effort to get to know the product is well worth it.

22. grfxman

grfxman

It seems to be missing from the Asset store

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  23. raoul

raoul

Thanks Route 66 Rambler! Yes, especially with the new v2 features there is a small learning curve involved but I am currently working on improving things further, especially with the side object feature to make it as user friendly as possible.

grfxman, I see what you mean, will see if I can find out more about this, thanks for letting me know! Meanwhile, it is available on www.unityterraintools.com as well.

24. grfxman

grfxman

I've spent the whole evening dealing with this :

Code (csharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. EasyRoads3D.OOCOQQCDQD.OQCQODCQOC (Single size, Int32 type)
    3. (wrapper dynamic-method) EasyRoads3D.OOCOQQCDQD:OOCOQQCDQD$OQCQODCQOC$System.Single$System.Int32 (object,object[])
    4. Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Dispatch (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, System.Object[] args, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    5. Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Dispatch (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Object[] args, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    6. Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    7. UnityScript.Lang.UnityRuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args, System.Type scriptBaseType)
    8. RoadObjectEditorScript.EasyRoadsGUIMenu (Boolean flag, Boolean senderIsMain, .RoadObjectScript nRoadScript) (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:579)

It won't update the terrain on the river tool at all and has corrupted the project. Where is it storing meshes and temp files so I can attempt to save this unity project.

25. raoul

raoul

That line (579) smooths the terrain edges around river. So this means you were in render state. I belief you run in the issue of data lost from memory which is explained in the manual. It can happen after you play the scene or do a script change while the road object is in "render" mode. Is that indeed what happened?

To restore the road object to "Edit" mode with the white surface visible, restart the project, click the render tab, when done, click the same tab again. Then put the terrain back in its original state by running the terrain restore options from the main EasyRoads3D menu

This problem can cause confusion at first but it should be solved by following the steps I mentioned. Furthermore, the whole memory system is being revised at the moment so these situations will be dealt with automatically in the near future.

Does this solve the problem?

26. raoul

raoul

This just to let you know that EasyRoads3D is back on the Assetstore. There was a problem with the license file.

27. Demostenes

Demostenes

2raoul: How does it look with terrain hole and overhang generator?

28. raoul

raoul

Have been too busy with other things the last couple of months. But the next tunnels feature for EasyRoads3D will be based on the scripts I already have for the caves tool, so I will be developing the caves tool itself too at the same time. Can't really give a date of release though.

29. noamgat

noamgat

This tool looks great.
    I have a question that I haven't been able to answer on my own through the demo - does EasyRoads3D save a copy of the premodified terrain? Will I be able to iteratively develop my terrain along with the roads? (IE, modify terrain, then road, then terrain, etc)

30. raoul

raoul

Thanks [Noman]! Yes, you can see this in action in the main demo video, first the road surfaces are build then the terrain is leveled, after a while the road object is turned back in "edit" mode for further adjustments. This going back to "edit" mode also restores the terrain to its original state. Furthermore, EasyRoads3D stores a backup of the terrain when adding the first road object. You can always update this backup (after manual changes to the terrain) or restore the terrain from the main EasyRoads3D menu. This will restore the terrain using the last saved backup.

Just make sure you develop your terrain when the road objects are not leveled, only do this when the objects are in "Edit" mode otherwise you will loose your changes when switching back to "Edit" mode!

31. norby

norby

Hi Raoul

I bought your package and i must say i am really impressed .
    will it have support for crossroads and importing plines in the future ?

thanks

Norby

32. raoul

raoul

Thank you Norby, glad you like it. Yes it will support crossroads in the future, I already started on that. Importing splines can be included too but I haven't really looked into that yet, where do you get your spline data from, what sort of data is the input? Can you send me an email with an example?

33. Muzzn

Muzzn

I've been trying out the demo, and there is one thing I want to query - when I make a road, there seems to be a big bump in the middle of it (so the middle is much higher than the sides). This makes it impossible to drive on. If this can be sorted out, then I'll probably buy it.

34. norby

norby

Hi Raoul

Thanks for your reply.
    Good to hear that you are already working on the
    Crossroad part. for spline support it would be nice
    to have support for Adobe illustrator splines.

thanks

Norby

35. raoul

raoul

@Muzz5, There cannot not be any bumps in the road unless you use more width segments and adjust the bumpiness settings. Can you post a screenshot?

@Norby, I have no experience with illustrator splines. In what format are these splines exported? Can you email me an export so I can look at it?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  36. norby

norby

Hi Raoul

PM sent.

Norby

37. artzfx

artzfx

38. raoul

raoul

@Norby, thanks I will look into that!

@artzfx, how exactly does Terrain 4 Mobile System work? Does it optimize the unity terrain? In that case I guess it is more about Terrain 4 Mobile System supporting tools like EasyRoads3D by skipping terrain optimization near the road so that area has a higher defintion. This is something I am working on myself as well so you can export the unity terrain for iOS, android etc. directly from EasyRoads3D. Or did you have something else in mind?

39. artzfx

artzfx

@raoul, if you can do that, then all good :)

40. raoul

raoul

I looked at your tool, great work! It look like it turns a Unity terrain object in a T4M object. Can you also assign a game object with meshfilter to T4M? In that case it will still be possible to use the end results of EasyRoads3D in T4M. Right now I am just looking for higher definition near the roads and further terrain optimization away from the roads. But EasyRoads3D can work with very low resolutions so you could already right now simply export the unity terrain to .obj and then use it in T4M!?

41. Cnaff

Cnaff

Nice presentation! looks really cool :)

42. grfxman

grfxman

Yes Raoul that helped a bit. Hopefully when that is fixed a bit I can upgrade. Not sure since I didn't buy the pro version.

43. raoul

raoul

Thank you Cnaff!

@grfxman, a beta with some useful improvements also to the side objects system will be released soon. But these are v2 updates, you wil get these updates anyway if you didn't buy Pro, no need to upgrade for that.

44. raoul

raoul

Just uploaded a beta version with some significant changes. All Pro users will receive a message and download option when you start an EasyRoads3D project. You should receive this message only once so chose the download option if you want to check it out! Please read the release notes in the zip!

Any feedback on this is much appreciated!

Changes include:

- Revised Terrain data storage. You can now safely play and test your scenes in render mode without the warning "Terrain data lost..." message

- Side Objects, "align with terrain". An option is added and now for all rotation options the procedurally geometry and instantiated objects are always aligned correctly.

- Side Objects: X Y position control per side object through the Inspector. You can now design your side object geometry points in the Geometry Editor around the center (0,0,0). This is especially useful for more advanced side objects such as bridge elements or for example train rail systems. Create the geometry around the center and use X Y positioning in the Inspector to put the geometry at the right spot relative to other side objects. The same for assets no need any more to create separate prefabs for the same asset only for the reason to use it for both on the left and right of the road. Simply center it in the prefab, create the side object, duplicate it and use -x and +x for X positioning in both side objects.

- Undo for Add Markers, Insert Markers, Terrain Smoothing

- "Update Scene" button added in the Side Object manager. Use this to update the specific side object in the scene after changes you made. Once a side object is build in the scene, it is recommended though to edit its settings in the Inspector by selecting it in the hierarchy!

- "Update Scene" button added in the Geometry Editor for procedural side objects. Use this to update the specific side object in the scene after changes to the geometry layout.

- If you have only one terrain in your scene there is no need any more to first select it if you want to use the backup or restore options.

- Improved zoom algorithm on Geometry Editor stage + shift drag stage added for zooming, other options are scroll wheel, command key

- Side Object Editor: Multiple points selection, [shift] click, hold shift to select and drag or delete multiple points

- Side Object Editor: Insert point, [Control] double click: Insert a point between the two nearest points

- New fetaure, Deform Terrain by Mesh. This new feature is a tool by itself, it will update the terrain heights by mesh input. The terrain will be gradually leveled to the original terrain heights.

Other Improvement: Always equal distances between road vertices.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  45. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Fantastic ... no email and no update message... i can't wait to try the new beta.

edit: now update message has come...now go testing

edit2: first impression : more slower than 2.0.1 version (in my old home pc is too slow and not more usable) .Tomorrow I'll try it in my business pc.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  46. JanHelleman

JanHelleman

Can I change the material used for the roads etc?

47. raoul

raoul

@Sjm Tech, I have to send emails out in batches (which is a bit annoying), last time my account was suspended after sending emails so no access to my website. That was a bit embarassing :). So That's why I implemented the auto update. When I got my email scripts sorted out I will use mailing again. If you guys do prefer email notifications let me know I will send out emails with the update link.

@JanHelleman, EasyRoads3D comes with a couple of sample textures but you can use your own materials / textures if you want. The end result is a mesh with MeshFilter. Simply drag your material to the material slot in the Mesh Renderer component.

A note, I just read something in another thread about intersections for spline based road tools, which EasyRoads3D is, being a problem because of the infinite number of angles and that that is the reason why spline based tools do not support intersections. Respect to everybody, but that is not entirely true. It just needs to be implemented which is what I am doing now and I am making good progress. I will post a video when I am a little bit further and then prepare betas so people with EasyRoads3D Pro license can already start using it. All will be flexible (side objects included) like EasyRoads3D is at the moment, in fact I already implemented an (optionally) alternative way to layout your roads which is especially useful if you have many roads crossing each other like city maps. This new method by itself will also be available in one of the next v2 updates.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  48. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Raoul, auto update is very useful, but often it don't starts.
    Today in my business pc the auto update don't wants to go.

Max

Edit: A middle way it can be to insert a "check update" voice on EasyRoads3D menu or in the "info" pannel.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  49. raoul

raoul

Hi Max, you have to restart Unity to trigger it. I will add a "check update" button to the info pannel.

50. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I did restart mant timeI did restart Unity many times, i did create a new project and restart the pc..but no update message!
    (In my home pc the message has come after PC reboot )