Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to program the 'back' button of android phone through unity?

Discussion in 'Android' started by diptiananthan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. diptiananthan

diptiananthan

Hey guys,
    I want to program my back button on the phone,to go back from the current scene to the previous scene.It is possible to do it through unity na???Has anyone tried to do this???I have been trying this but all methods involve linking to eclipse.Can't we do it from unity without eclipse???
    Thanks n regards!!!

2. sawfish

sawfish

Code (csharp):
    1. if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.Android)
    2.         {
    3.             if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Escape))
    4.             {
    5.                 // Insert Code Here (I.E. Load Scene, Etc)
    6.                 // OR Application.Quit();
    8.                 return;
    9.             }

3. diptiananthan

diptiananthan

Hey Sawfishusa,
    It worked:)!!thanx!!

4. suppenhuhn

suppenhuhn

Yes that's what i was looking for .. THANK YOU!

But one more question: The Galaxy Tab has got a second "button" for options - but i can't find a options key in the input managerlist for special keys.
    Anyone a idea ?

5. suppenhuhn

suppenhuhn

found it:

KeyCode.Menu

ZiadMahmoudSayd and BerniceChua like this.
  6. Mariol

Mariol

Thanks so much for this. Got it to work fine :)

7. Marzoa

Marzoa

Is there any manner to do the same within the OnGUI method with Event.current?

8. abhishakverma

abhishakverma

thanks a lot its :p:pwork.

9. UXmanCh

UXmanCh

i am having a problem in my buttons in ui as i creat a button "back" and i want this button to stay active in every scene . and when i press the back button it shold take me to previous screen or level selection menu .... if anybody can help let me know .. thankx :)

10. JoeriVDE

JoeriVDE

Well I would suggest you create a new UI Canvas specifically for your 'Back Button'. Then create a DontDestroyOnLoad script, add it to the parent canvas of the Back button. This way it won't get destroyed when a new scene loads.

As for going back to the previous level each time you hit the Back Button, on a normal UI button something like this might work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. //Add this script to your button and call the public methods from the OnClick() event in the inspector
    6. public class PreviousSceneLoader : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     //A list to keep track of all the scenes you've loaded so far
    9.     private List<string> previousScenes = new List<string>();
    11.     void Awake()
    12.     {
    13.         previousScenes.Add(Application.loadedLevelName); //Add your first scene
    14.         gameObject.SetActive(false); //OPTIONAL: deactivate the button in your first scene, logically because there are no previous scenes  
    15.     }
    17.     //Always call this right before you load a new scene from another script (another button for example)
    18.     //Note: Don't forget to activate the button gameobject if you've deactivated it in your first scene,
    19.     //      otherwise you won't be able to call this method if you're using methods like FindObjectOfType<PreviousSceneLoader>()
    20.     //      or GameObject.Find("the button gameobject name").GetComponent<PreviousSceneLoader>()
    21.     public void AddCurrentSceneToLoadedScenes()
    22.     {
    23.         previousScenes.Add(Application.loadedLevelName);
    24.     }
    26.     //Call this method from your button OnClick() event system in the inspector
    27.     public void LoadPreviousScene()
    28.     {
    29.         string previousScene = string.Empty;
    31.         //Check wether you're not back at your original scene (index 0)
    32.         if(previousScenes.Count > 1)
    33.         {
    34.             previousScene = previousScenes[previousScenes.Count - 1]; //Get the last previously loaded scene name from the list
    35.             previousScenes.RemoveAt(previousScenes.Count - 1); //Remove the last previously loaded scene name from the list
    36.             Application.LoadLevel(previousScene); //Load the previous scene
    37.         }
    38.         else
    39.         {
    40.             previousScene = previousScenes[0]; //0 will always be your first scene
    41.             Application.LoadLevel(previousScene); //Load the previous scene
    42.             gameObject.SetActive(false); //The else is optional if you want the button to be deactivated when returning to the first scene
    43.         }
    44.     }
    45. }
    I haven't tested this yet, feel free to let me know if it works!

11. USAPRODUCER

USAPRODUCER

I know this is an old post but the code worked great. Thanks sawfish.

12. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES

Thanks, this works but use GetKeyDown or GetKeyUp instead otherwise GetKey will spam whatever functionality you want to happen while the button is held.

13. yewchunyen

yewchunyen

Hi all, I got a question as too new to unity. Meanwhile, i need to create another new script for only the coding for this function and add to asset folder? Or what should be the proper path. I am not sure where to put those lines.

Thanks

14. achrafdakdak1

achrafdakdak1

Cheers everybody!

Thanks for a lot for the great threads. Yet, I still have a lil problem. Could anyone have any idea about how to get back within the same scene pressing the back button on the android device ??

15. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

You can do that easily by using SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex - 1);

That line of code should take you back one scene each click.

Your level select menu could just be the last scene you want it to go back to. For example, if your build index is 3 and that's as far back as you want it to go, use logic to not allow further BACK.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex <= 3)
    2. {
    3.     backButton.SetActive(false); // Assuming you named your back button variable backButton
    4.     // Or perhaps the smarter choice would just insure the LevelLoad scene is the last scene you can go back
    5. }
    Also note you can literally copy/paste the button into each scene within the hierarchy and it'll take on the same Transform without having to re-align each new scene.

16. Macmac26

Macmac26

Hi im just new to Unity . I just want to ask where do i put that code from sawfish to make it work?

17. unity_z2KksMoy7kKdtQ

unity_z2KksMoy7kKdtQ

You need to put his in update function of any script you want it to work in with.

18. DryreL

DryreL

Thanks

19. luistapia2998

luistapia2998

It works, only to be clear, Application functions had been deprecated in favor of SceneManager. I add the scene before load the next, that implies that I have an empty list first and check if list isn't empty to load previous scene. You can see the code here.
    I combine your solution with the Stateless Pattern forked from tomlarkworthy.