Search Unity

Receiving NAT punchthrough attempt from

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IJM, Mar 14, 2011.

1. IJM

IJM

Debug log: "Receiving NAT punchthrough attempt from target 9007247006427852 failed"

Why is this happening? And how can I fix it?

2. mteixeira

mteixeira

Hi,
    Maybe it's too late to answer... but I faced the same problem in a recent network project that we are developing.
    I got the same message when I was using Network.Connect(element.guid), then I tried with Network.Connect(element), ie, using HostData, and it worked !
    I don't know why with the guid didn't work.

3. simom85

simom85

Same problem!

4. Fehr

Fehr

We're facing the same problem through our development, and a solution would be great, if anyone has one please post!

The reason the previous Network.Connect(element) doesn’t produce a NAT error, is that it doesn’t use NAT, as it doesn't even use NAT as when connecting with Network.Connect(element.guid). For this reason it isn't really a fix at all.

At present we get "Receiving NAT punchthrough attempt from target ################ failed." on both server and client. Again, any help would be really appreciated.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

In Unity 3 you can't choose anymore to use or not use nat.
    The MasterServer or better the inbuilt connection tester will decide about that so ensure that your masterserver and all its aspect are clearly reachable.

If you are using the unity one, then you might want to setup your own cause the official one has no uptime guarantee or "working" guarantee at all, so there are cases where it just stops doing part of what you expect it to do. its there for testing, but not for production usage

6. Fehr

Fehr

Hey again,

Just thought I'd post back and explain where our issue was and how we solved it.

We where using a phone as a router in order to get an external IP address in order to test the punchthrough, and it seems that it was one of the rare pices of hardware that doesnt support NAT punchthrough, and all that hard work debugging was all in vain. It was working the whole time. If anyone else is having issues with this kind of stuff, its really worthwile to go run your tests from two routers with a friend or somthing.

I hope that helps.

7. TheCams

TheCams

Hello guys !

I'm having the same issue, but doesn't happen everytime. I still didn't have managed to identify what the differences were between succesfull and failure attempts.
    All I can say now is that both client and server are behind a router and both are able to register a game to the masterserver. The issue comes when any of them tries to join the game.
    Maybe did one of you find a solution for this, or may explain me more about this error, i'll be reporting too if I find something interesting.

Thank you :)

PS : sorry for the possible spelling mistakes ;)

8. jackson31

jackson31

I'm also getting this error every time someone tries to join!
    I'm not using a Master Server, I'm simply trying to directly connect using a GUID!
    I made sure to forward the right ports on my router and even disabled the anti-virus and firewall, still I get this error!
    I'm using the Unity 4 Beta, Really need an answer

9. Nesokas

Nesokas

I'm having the same problem and I don't know how to solve it. Is there any tutorial to make the Facilitator run correctly under ubuntu server? Or this problem doesn't have anything to do with the Facilitator?

10. J-F

J-F

This exact problem is occuring on my setup too.

11. Nesokas

Nesokas

Hello J-F

Everyone if I'm wrong please fill free to correct me, I've searched a lot for this problem and this was the most plausible cause for this problem. Which means, J-F, that I may not be correct and there may be a solution for this problem. If you want to keep looking feel free to do so and please tell me if you found it :)

What I found was that apparently NAT Punchthrough is not all that reliable, meaning that probably you have (like I do) an "evil router" :p which means that NAT Punchthrough will not work for every case, or may not work for all your players.

If you don't want to keep looking however, you can try other solutions like Photon or uLink that use other approaches for the problem that NAT Punchthrough tries to solve. I've chose uLink for my project by the way,it is very similar to Unity Network and as a tool to automatically convert your project from Unity Network to uLink.

Hope this helps you ;) Good luck

12. Quaker_SDR

Quaker_SDR

I am getting this same error. It work fine if i connect to same network, But when i tried from different netowrks,it not, any help?? you found solution, any alternatives?