Search Unity

Game Translation to more than 45 languages in seconds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by baha, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baha

baha

So you have a great game that does not incorporate too much text and\or translating the main menu and some other main texts can open markets like china ~1.3 billion and the number of Chinese people who actually play games is 66 Million.

This is specially important when you are having games on web, portals, facebook, app store and even other platforms because the markets are all opened by translating this small amount of text you can depoly to more portals, get more players to play and eventually enhance your revenue, would you play a Chinese game if you don't know where is the play button? or would you do that for a great Arabic game? and ofcourse not the whole world speaks English as well! the percentage of English speakers are only 17.65% as estimated by the below link

So to get more information about the potentials then visit this link

I remember when i was a small kid i used to guess what button to click in order to play the game and a lot of the time i failed in my guessing :( so when i started doing games i realized how important having at least your main menu and main texts translated to the users language so we gone into doing a tool for automatic translation using Google Translate which is getting better and better each day :D

The tool aid you by automatically translating your supplied text to the users machine language or to the language of your choice so check it out here

2. p6r

p6r

WOW ! Great idea !!!
    Very clever...
    6R

3. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

And then get laughed at for having a game full of spelling and/or grammar mistakes.
    I know I would laugh at such a game.

4. mikesgames

mikesgames

"All your base are belong to us" ring any bells?

LOL

I think this is a great idea :)

5. baha

baha

OK laugh at Google which is billions worth corporate that happens to be investing heavily in this and lets see how you will understand my following reply:

وهذا هو السبب قلت انها ليست مناسبة لجميع أنواع الألعاب وخاصة ألعاب مع الكثير من النص، إذا كان لديك كلمة أو كلمتين في كل بند من بنود القائمة فإنك سوف تستفيد بالتأكيد من هذه الأداة

You will need to translate it right ;)

6. psyclone

psyclone

Translatation -- This is why I said it's not suitable for all types of games, especially games with a lot of text, if you have a word or two in each of the menu items, you will definitely benefit from this tool

7. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Hi there :)

This sounds cool and possibly a time saver on some projects that don't require more professional translation.

Couple of questions:
    1. Does this only translate public variables? Let's say I had a singular class full of private strings, can your tool access that class?
    2. Presuming you're translating only on Awake / Start i.e. has low-to-no performance impact?
    3. Tested on iPhone / Android?
    4. Can I save the translations local to the project prior to building? Ex: the game would be in the correct language for systems launching for 1st time disconnected from the Internet?

Thanks for the info!

8. baha

baha

Below are my answers to your questions:

1. [*]Does this only translate public variables? Let's say I had a singular class full of private strings, can your tool access that class?
      If you want to automatically translate your game then the next update is the answer for you "Uses Reflection" but it will only translate public variables other than that you can use the current API in which you call Translate(string) before each string you want to translate
      [*]Presuming you're translating only on Awake / Start i.e. has low-to-no performance impact?
      Yes you can call the translation methods on any method you like so you can use it only on start then there will be no performance impact also it is a coroutine so it does not block execution at all
      [*]Tested on iPhone / Android?
      In the next update
      [*]Can I save the translations local to the project prior to building? Ex: the game would be in the correct language for systems launching for 1st time disconnected from the Internet?
      it is as if you where setting with us for the features of the next update :) , in the next update you will be able to "bake translations" which means that you will be able to save the translations for specific or all languages prior to building in the resources folder or as streamed content using WWW class as XML then loads it at runtime while being able to override them or provide your own translations rather than Google translations also you will be able to share these translations between multiple projects

9. defjr

defjr

When do you expect the next update? If I buy now, will I get that update free?

10. kenlem

kenlem

How does it handle character sets on the iPhone?

11. baha

baha

If you buy now you will definitely get the next update for free in fact you get every 1.x updates until version 2 is released, we expect it to be released within 2 weeks

12. baha

baha

We are working on this yet for the next update, i will keep you updated when we finish implementation and testing for iPhone

13. defjr

defjr

Sweet, definitely picking this up tonight then! Looking forward to the iPhone implementation. :)

14. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

@Baha
    Thanks for the specific answers; looking forward to "baking translation"! :)

15. baha

baha

A new update will be available soon :), version 1.1 will be released after review by unity (maybe today) and will include the following features:
    1- Import\Export
    2- Custom Translations(user specified)
    3- Bake Google Translations and modify them
    4- disable\enable Google translations and override it with your own translations and when not supplied use Google translation if enabled.
    5- Exchange between projects and other users.
    7- Full API
    8- Stream your translations to reduce size and have only one deployment instead of multiple deployments or but your translation file in the resource section.

Stay tuned :D

16. baha

baha

17. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Amazing work. That is all.

18. baha

baha

19. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

What do you mean by custom translations?

Also, is it possible to translate while the game is running? This would be great for clients to translate foreign chat and other user-made text.

20. baha

baha

Custom translations mean that you can set your own translations if you have them instead of Google translations and you can even have mix of both, i.e. check if you are supplying the translations and if not use Google or you might rely on your own translations only or on Google only or mix both in any way you like through the API

Yes it is possible

21. ibyte

ibyte

Hi, looking for a translation package and comparing yours to M2H Localization package. Is your documentation available for review before purchase?

Thanks

iByte

22. vanessaanderson

vanessaanderson

23. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

FYI you just necro'd, the last reply in that thread was 8 years ago....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.