Search Unity

Physics To Animation Tool

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by eskovas, Mar 11, 2011.

1. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone,
    This is a new tool to use in Unity

This tool transforms physics into animation, reducing significantly the number of calculaions per second during run time. (up to 1000% performance increase)

Features:

- This tool transforms physics of all the children's in a Gameobject into a single animation
    - You can change the name of all children and every children in a gameobject,
    - You can Add Rigidbody and Colliders temporarly to every single children in the root object
    - You can declare the animation's name
    - You can choose the folder you want to save the animation to
    - You can choose how many frames per second you want your animation to run at
    - You can choose the maximum number of frames in an animation

Downside :

- Every single object's name has to be unique ( also includes a tool for changing dinamicaly the names of all childrens in a parent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNNKcH3K1D8

Note:

This is still work in progress, there's alot to improve and add to this tool

We are going to launch this tool in the Unity's Asset Store, in about 1-2 weeks

We hope this tool can be very useful to many people

We apreciate any feedback or additions you would want in this tool,
    thank you.

EDIT:
    just added new features, for the user to be able to start and stop recording the physics at any time they want

i also want to say that this tool will be on sale in the asset store

still haven't decided the price of this tool yet but it will be between 5$ and 7.5$

i would like to know what do you think about the price i'm proposing? (please don't say to make it free xD)

i would really like more feedback

UPDATE 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Gqkjx5Z4o

UPDATE 3:

Preview 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDP7B5wRqx4

in this preview i want to demonstrate 3 things:

1 - You can use this tool with ANY object or character,

2 - I implemented a new tool, that removes every collider, physics joint or rigidbody of the object and all its children

3 - I wanted to demonstrate this tool with a character, with many colliders, physics joints and many children in its hierarchy.

As you can see this tool works very well, it still has some minor bugs but it is almost done and ready to submit to the unity's asset store

if you want more options in this tool then post in the comment section

also would like feedback

thanks!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

Wow, this looks great!

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I was just thinking about doing something like this in my 3D modeling app, but this looks -way- better! :)

4. jjnstn

jjnstn

This looks pretty useful. Looking forward to playing with it.

5. Colonel_Klink

Colonel_Klink

This is a great idea. I can see many many uses for it, particularly for interactive destructible buildings. Looking forward to its release.

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Would this work with physics joints? Also, can the script be adapted to run in a player or will it only work in the editor?

7. eskovas

eskovas

thanks for the feedback

1 - yes i think it works with physics joints ( i will make a video demonstrating some examples with characters and other objects with physics joints)
    2 - can you describe an example to use this script in a player?

i will add some options for the user to be able to start the physics recording at the time they choose or when they press a key on the keyboard and the recording will stop when they press again a key on the keyboard

i'm still thinking of more features to add to this tool, so any ideas would be appreciated :D

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Right, that's exactly what I was thinking. That way it could be used in game to playback physics related gameplay. I'm doing it now by writing each transform's position and rotation to a text file, but saving it as an animation would likely be faster and might be more efficient (but I'm not even sure Unity can do this?).

9. eskovas

eskovas

just added new features, for the user to be able to start and stop recording the physics at any time they want

i also want to say that this tool will be on sale in the asset store

still haven't decided the price of this tool yet but it will be between 5$ and 7.5$

i would like to know what do you think about the price i'm proposing? (please don't say to make it free xD)

i would really like more feedback :D

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

By user do you mean the developer or it can be used in a stand alone player? You price sounds reasonable enough, I'll probably pick it up. ;)

11. larvantholos

larvantholos

You could probably sell this for a lot more than 5-7 dollars, keep in mind you'll be losing some commission to unity so you want to think about that for what you'll end up in return, its priced in the indie range, so even something around 20 dollars is more than reasonable for something like this, it seems like a very neat tool.

12. eskovas

eskovas

UPDATE 2:

This is the second preview of our physics to animation tool

here we demonstrate that you can also use this tool with objects with physics joints and you can the animation without any collider,rigidbody or physics joints in the objects

also now you can choose if you want the tool to start recording automatically when the you press play or when you press Enter in the keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Gqkjx5Z4o

hope you like the new features and also leave feedback :D

NOTE: This tool works with every object (not just with cubes and spheres xD)

PS: i speeded up this video at some times, but when the speed is normal, it appears to have low fps but that's because of the video recorder... you can actually see the current fps in the statistics in unity's Game view

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Impressive video. How fast a computer were you using?

14. eskovas

eskovas

i'm using a laptop,
    CPU : Core 2 duo T9400 - 2.53GHz

also does anyone know how to change the thread's title? can't find the option to change it

15. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

This is great! I'd normally do expensive kinds of physics in Softimage or Lightwave, record and bring them over. But this would save that step.

Does it also work for soft body effects (flags, capes etc. and so on) or just the rigid stuff?

16. eskovas

eskovas

thanks for the comment

sorry but it doesn't work for soft body effects

if someone wants more previews of the tool and have some ideas for me to test, then share the ideas and i could try them out and upload the results

17. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

If you're looking for ideas for physics tests to demo, how about something like Jake's rope bridge?

18. eskovas

eskovas

UPDATE:

Preview 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDP7B5wRqx4

in this preview i want to demonstrate 3 things:

1 - You can use this tool with ANY object or character,

2 - I implemented a new tool, that removes every collider, physics joint or rigidbody of the object and all its children

3 - I wanted to demonstrate this tool with a character, with many colliders, physics joints and many children in its hierarchy.

As you can see this tool works very well, it still has some minor bugs but it is almost done and ready to submit to the unity's asset store

if you want more options in this tool then post in the comment section

also would like feedback

thanks!

19. Ullukai

Ullukai

would this tool work for making some simple animations for a character without having a T position ? or does it need to have a T position always ? like would i be able to make a character walk or run with this tool instead of using layers for animations ? What I'm wanting to do with this tool would be to make a character slide and not have the character in a T position. Awesome tool btw !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  20. eskovas

eskovas

Hi, thanks for the comment

i'm not really sure what you are asking

this tool transforms physics into animations like you can see in the videos (3 videos),
    what you are asking is if you can make walk animations(for example) with this tool, the awnser is no. you can do those simple animations with the tool unity provides with the engine, it's very simple to use.

with this tool you can make many diferent animations but it's everything physics based (althougth you can use animations in play mode and this tool will also record those animations, or change things in the editor mode while the play mode is active)

don't know if that awnsered your question, if not then tell me and please specify more

anyway thanks for the comment and question

21. Ullukai

Ullukai

Thanks for the infos, I don't know how i could explain it easier. Just simply : does the character have to be arms straight out in a T position all the time ?

22. niosop2

niosop2

This system is NOT for animating characters. It's for baking physics simulations to animation curves so that the system doesn't have to do the physics calculations at runtime.

23. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone

sorry for not posting any updates but i had alot of work this week and i had to delay the submition of this tool... maybe i will submit it next week (still not sure)

@ Ullukai
    its exacly what niosop said, this tool is for baking physics simulations of any kind

well i hope there are still some people interested in this tool and i will post some more detail of the final release soon :D

thanks

24. sabrexx

sabrexx

Can they be used with characters if they have joints?

25. eskovas

eskovas

hi
    sorry about this but i've made a new thread in the assets section a while ago so i didn't update this one.

if you want please see the other thread : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/85766-Physics-To-Animation-Tool-Released-!

it's updated with new stuff and more videos.

to awnser your question, this tool records everything regardless of what that is/has.
    you can see a video example that shows the tool recording a character falling and hitting many objects

thanks

26. vidjo

vidjo

This tool looks very nice! Does it record precice locations? Or does it approximate?

Can it record custom component values over time as well? Or does it only work on Transforms?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014