Search Unity

Audio file importer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tinus, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Tinus

Tinus

Thinking again about creating audio-centered games, I stumbled upon this problem:

I want to write a runtime importer for audio files. With this players could load their own sound files into a game, opening your games up to all manner of music-related shenanigans.

When it comes to graphics, you can use the Obj importer on the wiki. The Mesh class exposes an interface to alter or replace its vertex, normal and tangent buffers, and this is what makes the importer work. Unfortunately AudioClip (which is similar in concept) does not do the same for its audio buffers. This currently prevents me from writing such an importer.

The WWW class allows streaming of very specific file formats from a webserver, but this is not always practical. For user-generated content that would mean streaming a local file to the server, converting it to the requested format there, and streaming it back through the WWW class. Not only is this an inefficient workaround, but it would also mean storing potentially copyrighted material on your webserver.

I know a bunch of other people would like this kind of functionality, so I created a feature request! If you care about this and have a vote to spare, I would appreciate it. :)

2. Tinus

Tinus

Just thought of another feature this would enable: The Berkelium and Awesomium plugins could stream browser audio directly into an AudioClip. No more silent videos!