Search Unity

No Custom Launch Icon in Unity Android?

Discussion in 'Android' started by EricJ13, Mar 8, 2011.

1. EricJ13

EricJ13

Sorry to cross post but I think this forum may be a better place to get some clarification.

I've got Unity Android, basic not pro. When I publish to my device I don't get my custom icon, I get the Unity icon. I expect to get the "powered by unity" splashscreen but thought that, like the basic version of Unity iOS, I could have a custom launch icon. Am I wrong in that, or is it a bug, or is there some publis setting I'm unaware of? At least one other person is having the same problem, see this thread in the Android Development forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/80740-Launch-Icon-Android-Standard

Please advise, thanks.

2. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Yep, that was me on your other post. Really want to get this figured out so i can upload our game.

3. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Day 3

I hate to keep bumping this but, come on your killing me here! lol

Somebody has got to have the answer. This has to be a bug.

I went ahead and submitted my app in hopes that the icon was based on what we add in the listing info.
    It appears it is based on the "launch icon" so my poor little game sits amongst the masses with a black and white box icon.

4. pegorari

pegorari

The same problem with me...

5. Wozik

Wozik

hm, can you please try creating an empty project, set up a custom icon and try deploying.
    Does it work?
    And if you override the icon for Android?

6. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Thanks,
    I tried your suggestion
    I made a blank project and selected "override for android" and manually dragged my icon to the 72 and 48 boxes.

Still showing the Unity box icon of the build on my physical android.

I did submit a bug yesterday too just to be safe. I didnt include a project but, i guess it's pretty easy to duplicate.

Why no love for the poor man's Unity? :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. EricJ13

EricJ13

We don't have the Android license at work so I’m going to have to wait until I get home to give it a shot.

I don’t know if it makes a difference but I’m running under Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I did have the override for Android option checked in both the player settings and the settings for the 72 and 48 textures.

8. EricJ13

EricJ13

No luck with an empty scene. I tried:
    1. No Android override settings
    2. Texture set to override, player not
    3. Player set to override, texture not
    4. Both set to override, texture type "texture"
    5. Both set to override, texture type "Advanced", texture format RGBA 32 bit

I'm installing to a Virgin Mobile-LG Optimus V No-Contract.
    Unity 3.3.0f4 (63135). JDK version is 1.6.0_24-b07.
    And if it matters I build to ARMv6 due to what I'm installing to.

EDIT: Icon texture are 72x72 and 48x48 PNGs with no alphas.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

I'm not 100% sure but, at this point, I am assuming there is a bug.
    Although I haven't experimented with this option I think it is possible to open the .apk file with a third party program and change icons.
    After looking at a few forums people do it all the time just to change icons they dont like.

I havent tried it but, It may be a good alternative to having Unity build your icons. I know a lot of folks prefer to add the icon files for iphone after making a Unity build too.

10. EricJ13

EricJ13

I used to do it in Xcode, I don't remember if it was becasue Unity 2 early versions didn't have the icon option or I just didn't know about it. Probably the latter LOL.

As long as I can see what the icon looks like on the target device before I actually submit I'll be happy... but I would be much happier if I could just do it in Unity without adding another hoop to my workflow. I'm ready to submit other than the icon issue. I'm very anxious to get my first Android game on the market.

11. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

With unity iOS we still have to compile our apps after unity is done so, we have the luxury of playing with things a little before we actually build the final .ipa

With android it is done once unity does it's thing. So, I think it is more like hacking into the .apk to change the icon.
    Although after a little more googling it doesnt sound to hard so long as you are on windows which i am not. (or iwould have tried it and reported my findings)

Once you change the icon you should still be able to pop it onto your droid and make sure it works. We can use the final signed version on our devices. We arent bound to only trying the provisioning build like on iOS before uploading.

I'm guessing you will get that working before we see a fix in unity.

12. EricJ13

EricJ13

What's the word Woz? I'm mega antsy, I want to relase! But not with the Unity icon. I don't mind the Unity splash screen... until I make 1.1K on the market anyway. LOL, here's hoping. But I want a custom launch icon. What's up?

13. EricJ13

EricJ13

Okay, I've managed to slap together a workaround. It's inelegant to say the least. It's for Windows, dunno how much of it translates to Mac.

1. Rename the *.apk file to *.zip
    2. Unzip and find the \res\drawable folder
    3. Replace the app_icon.png file with your custom icon that you've also named app_icon.png
    4. Re-zip

EDIT_2: Sign, zipalign and install using info here: http://developer.android.com/guide/p...p-signing.html

EDIT: app_icon is 64x64.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  14. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Cool, thanks for walkthrough
    I'll give it a try

15. defjr

defjr

Good work, EricJ. Thanks for the workaround!

Kinda surprised by the near absence of UT on this one.

16. EricJ13

EricJ13

I've been doing research on how one would publish for Android without using an IDE like Unity. I think the auto-signing tool is probably not the wa y to go now after reading this: http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html but I've not had a chance to try it out yet. Probably won't get a chance to until this evening at the earliest.

17. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

would be really sweet to hear if there is a fix coming

18. AnimatorTom

AnimatorTom

I have the same problem. No custom icon with android build I guess this a bug? Has there been any official news on this, confirmation etc.

19. markharkness

markharkness

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the absence on this one guys. Busy with GDC and NinjaCamp.

If it has been bugged then it will most likely be fixed in the next revision. One workaround for the moment is to use the eclipse integration methods in the documentation:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Android-Integrating Unity With Eclipse.html

In there you can change the icon used in the manifest file:

You will just have to add the image in the various sizes to the folder highlighted, refresh the project then select it and add it to the Icon to replace the existing one. Then when you build from eclipse you will have you unity game with the new shiney icon.

20. JoshOClock

JoshOClock

I ran into this when adding the Mobclix unitypackage supplied in this forum. It seems that it added some icons for me in these directories:
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable-hdpi\icon.png
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable-ldpi\icon.png
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable-mdpi\icon.png

Maybe check to see if you have icons there that could be causing the issue.

21. wipeer

wipeer

Simply place your app icon in the directory:
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable\app_icon.png (64x64 pix)

Or if you want to have different icons for different resolutions place icons in the directory:
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable-hdpi\app_icon.png (72x72 pix)
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable-ldpi\app_icon.png (32x32 pix)
    Assets\Plugins\Android\res\drawable-mdpi\app_icon.png (48x48 pix)

22. Running Pixel

Running Pixel

Works! Great workaround! one hundred time easier than the official one.

23. sohambliss

sohambliss

add or create the following directory path in your project files. go to your Assets folders. in the Assets folder create or find
    /Plugins/Android/res/drawable/app_icon.png
    your icon image should be named "app_icon" in png format.

24. Ricks

Ricks

thanks, sohambliss, this worked for me :) I put an icon with the size 72x72 in there.

25. zhapness

zhapness

thanks!

26. EricJ13

EricJ13

Awesome, the kind of fix I was hoping for. Thanks!

27. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I tried this but it still shows the Unity icon...