Search Unity

GUI Framework

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tinus, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Tinus

Tinus

Hey all,

I've been hacking away at my own object oriented GUI framework. I really wanted something like it for a long time, and after seeing Danko Kozar's near-perfect implementation I thought I'd give it a go.

The recent news that UT is working on a revamped GUI system brought a large smile to my face, but it left me with an important question: Will the effort I put into my own framework be rendered redundant soon? Specifically: Would the new official GUI system be object oriented? If so, I'd rather concentrate my time on other work and patiently wait for it to be released. On the other hand, if the changes are only under the hood (drawcall reduction and such) and the API stays the same, I'd keep going.

Is there anyone that can shed some light on this for me? I would be ever so thankful. :)

2. jashan

jashan

That's interesting - I'm wondering about the same question ATM. I'm currently rebuilding my complete GUI that I had created with UnityGUI with EZ GUI, which seems to be a really great solution to me. It's not that bad because one reason I'm redesigning the GUI is because I have to change the layout for smaller-scale devices. However, it would feel a bit unfortunate if UT came up with something even better that follows a very different approach.

On the other hand: By the time that's available, my game might already be released ;-)