Search Unity

Unity 3.2 odd behavior

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dingben, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dingben

dingben

Last EDIT: .

(disregard this EDIT... the velcro effect described below, persists)_____________________________________________________________________
    Low and behold... some improvement occurred after a COLD reboot.
    yes... 3.2 was installed with nothing running on the machine, don't even question it.
    Thus, hold while I check things out... will take me a couple of days at least.

EDIT: .
    ...see post 8 in this thread for a recap of all problems encountered in 3.2/3.3
    ...a project that worked perfectly fine in 3.1 is now in need of major redesign, or the project will have to remain at 3.1 level, unless the bugs are fixed.

In the mean time I have dicided not to put any more time into 3.2/3.3 and stay with 3.1
    I cannot afford to make that many changes to find out they will fixx 3.x and here we go again
    having to redo...

WIN7 Pro, Unity 32(Indie) [...just updated 3.1(not the 2nd 3.1, but the 1st)] -> upgraded to 3.2

3.2 loads way faster, and runs faster than previous versions.
    (in the Editor, not tested Web yet)

Testing in the Editor immediately after 3.2 conversion before doing any work, to make sure all is good.
    All is not good.

1. Simple primitive objects that were hit on 3.1 would slide across the flat land and come to rest after a minimal hop against the foot of a vertical. It would take a hard hit to get them to shoot up the side of the vertical.
    Same objects now reach the bottom of the vertical at low speed low energy, yet as they hit the foot of the vertical they accelerate and shoot up unrealistically 1, 2 or 3 meters. Sometimes they come back down, sometimes they resume rolling UP! as if the vertical is really an horizontal, and then come to an everso-slow stop at about 4 to 5 meters and hang, never coming down.

2. The vehicle also is projected higher than normal after collisions and may land on higher terrain that it never reached on 3.1, and it may get half-lodged in the terrain and be effectively captured by the terrain. The Hard-Rock-Cafe Elvis-Presley-Encased-Cadillac look is a good way to represent the result.

3. Smoke from an emitter set to sweep over an assumed section of the land in 3.1, now spreads thru all the elevations, passing across all hills, and creating a sweeping effect of near transparent billboards caressing the entire scene.

…anything to adjust on 3.2 to get correct behavior?
    …or are those bugs?

…still testing… any thoughts anyone?!
    I'd hate to find that all my work for last 6 months is but a waste.

If a mod thinks these are bugs, please report them.
    I no longer use the Unity Bug Reporter, since it started to force a collect that one must make sure to cancel and I am also tired of having to figure out where and trim any info I am not allowed to let out as found in the report(s).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

No offense, but what do you have to hide? It doesn't include anything important. The only thing it can do is spot pirate copies I imagine. But since you say you're using the free version, that wouldn't be a concern to you.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Then your bugs will not get looked at, simple as that. Posting messages on the forums won't get anything into the bug database.

--Eric

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Create minimal testcase scenes that showcase the bugged behaviour that include no models/textures or whatever else you don't feel comfortable showing unity devs and then upload it to them.

Really we can talk about it on the forums all you want, but we can't really do anything if it's a bug, only unity devs can, and to help them help you, you should provide them with all the data they need through the appropriate channels.

5. dingben

dingben

EDIT 2:

Setup 3.3 0f4... it's even worse.
    Small objects are sucked up cliffs or a thin mountain range and fall off to the opposite slope.

Vehicle climbs verticals it never could climb on 3.1
    - It may hang sideways or nose facing down on the side of an 8 meter bank.
    - It may dangle as if suspended by a string...
    - Getting the wheels to spin forward or backward can cause the vehicle to practically ride the side of the bank/mountain...
    - It may get hung and impossible to dislodge(restart).

EDIT:
    I see 3.3 0f4 is already out... gonna see what that does...

Thanks to all for your answers.

AcidArrow:
    Yes I may do that, my time is really really compressed.
    ...but the point is that a working project on one version is a broken one in another version.
    I am hoping others will report similar experiences and generate ideas. Thank you.

EVERYONE:
    I am in an intra-department war as to who will win UDK or Unity... so far, I am ahead hands-down with Unity.
    I have something to prove, and a job to uphold. ...my counterparts are bent on seeing me fail. (duh!)

No, I am not a pirate(lol).
    The Debug Report does pick up information that my company refuses to release. I have no control over that. They will probably loosen the grip once I have the project at a level of publishing, when we migrate to the Pro version.
    Look at the reports, you will see paths, etc...

Each version/upgrade of Unity behaves differently, which means I have to go thru all reports line by line to find the ones that will get me fired. That has been a headache for me... I am busy as can be, I had to let go of some weight.

As far as 'going vanilla' to test and retest setups that were functioning nominally, I am aware and well seasoned on the approach. It is just very painful to go thru hundreds of objects to redo what was already done and working smoothly.

I am not one to give up. I try hard to make everything succeed, but on this one, I may be looking to revert to 3.1~
    I know, not a good idea, I need to stay up with the current updates if at all possible.

SOME SUCCESS.

• I was able to reconfigure the emitters that gave me problems.

• 3.2 also affects the vehicle(s) setup, I am having to (re)tweak that as well... I will more than likely succeed with that.
      The effects are similar to what you would get if you setup all the physics to match a particular vehicle's size, weight, strength, etc... and you decided to click on the sizing handle to reduce the vehicle to a smaller size... and poof go all your perfect tweaks, the vehicle becomes erratic, hard to control... and the fix is not linear, that would be too easy!
    I see no solution as of yet for the objects accelerating when they hit cliff bases...
    I will obviously try a few tweaks, like adding weight etc...

I don't see how to reduce the vehicle's wild looping upon collisions, flip-overs etc... except to slow down everything,
    a big 'no-no' since the speed I had acquired was one of the major points of contention.

Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. PolyMad

PolyMad

If I can give a small suggestion it's this: ONCE YOU ARE DEEP IN A PROJECT DON'T EVER UPDATE THE SOFTWARE because as you can see you will ALWAYS occur into general problems can reveal a complete compromission of the whole game.
    A simple change in physical behaviour can destroy your entire project.
    So, unless you really, really, really NEED the changes in a new version, just DON'T update.
    Just my 2 cents.

7. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Well I think you're over-worrying about nothing really. But if it is a huge issue for you, setup a virtual machine, install the free version, report it from there. Also, one mans important data, is another mans recycle bin contents. It might seem, whatever it is, important info to you, but I'm pretty sure nobody at Unity Tech would care what it was considering they deal with all sorts of people and companies.

Anyways, thread is pointless if you wont report it yourself, nobody else is going to go to the trouble of doing that unless they too happen to notice exactly the same bugs.

8. dingben

dingben

Should rename the thread: Upgrading to 3.2 xfx, 3.3 xfx major issues.

New issue to add:
    Shaders do not render the same way. I am having to check if new shaders have been introduced... or what else.
    - I had some areas tweaked precisely for special effects that are now so different the effect is lost.
    - Some areas that were clear as crystal are now foggy.

Testing same project in 3.1 and 3.3
    It is completely obvious...
    - they have made made major changes to the collider code, maybe more specifically the terrain collider, perhaps the PhysX.
    - when I run the project in 3.1(original, not update)
    ----- the look and feel(driving) is great, smooth, with secure control, solid handling
    --------- crashes come to rest within reasonable timing(although at times as reported in Answers, it
    --------- can get loopy
    ).
    --------- I had gotten around that by adding a switch the user can trigger to end a
    --------- loopy crash[a sort of local reset]

----- small objects that were subjected to a collision still shoot up to the sky or go poof(vanish),
    ----- as I posted in a separate thread on 'Answers'
    --------- I had gotten around that by changing the behavior of the game destroying
    --------- items before they exploded out of the scene

- when I run the same project in 3.3...
    ----- the look is different but not everywhere (I may be able to adjust to that,
    ----- but a lot of freakin work to REDO!)
    ----- the 'feel' is different and inadequate
    --------- after hours of attempting to regain the feel, tweaking parameters, I am left baffled, only less
    --------- than nominal success, a messy sloppy slippery control, the solid handling I had reached is
    --------- gone, if I succeed on one
    --------- end, it breaks the other. -most physics have to be (re)designed with no assurance to attain
    --------- the 3.1 'feel'.
    --------- That maybe the clincher for me... I can't have the lame behavior of a vehicle ass-end
    --------- constantly flopping left to right in an unrealistic fashion... nor a spin out at the touch of the
    --------- controls. It might be good enough for some games, just not the one I am involved in... and I
    --------- am not asking for the type of great control that the NASCAR and INDYcars PC games have,
    --------- just not the ass-end-flopping stupid look

----- small objects no longer vanish nor shoot off into the distance but instead behave as described in
    ----- this thread.
    --------- I could live with that but an object velcroed to the side of cliff, is just less than cuth,
    --------- and hard to code whether it-is-a-legit-lie-or-not to decide if-destroy-or-not.

UPDATE:
    ...large heavy objects hang on cliff walls as well, not just small ones...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  9. dingben

dingben

megmaltese...

Point taken, the current situation adds points to the approach you suggest

My project although in good progress is still not at the stage where I would want to apply that logic and of course I have backups and can continue on 3.1, but would prefer to stay as current as possible with updates for as long as possible.

The post is also to let the word out, to flag the issue.

Moreover the project is one that will more than likely require the latest and greatest unless we decide to trim it for a 1.0itis version, but so far that has been rule out in meetings.
    Updates are coming so fast that it is also risky to corner oneself into an old version level, it could mean a massive redo at the 11th hour! ...so it is a judgement call we wrestle with regularly.