Search Unity

Bootcamp Multiplayer Demo

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ExitBG, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ExitBG

ExitBG

A free Bootcamp Multiplayer Demo is available on the asset store.
    It shows how to add multiplayer functionality to an existing project using Exit Games' Photon technology.

Click here to download the project

To install create a new unity project and import the whole package.
    Then follow the readme instructions.

The documentation is available here: developer.exitgames.com.

Please leave feedback/suggestions/requests below or in the Exit Games forum.

UPDATE 2011-06-07: Version 1.2 released - Fixed the broken fire animation sync.
    UPDATE 2011-09-02: Version 1.2.2 released - Fixed compatibility to unity 3.4.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Excellent.

When you say soon - is that in the next couple of days - or weeks?

3. mikevanman

mikevanman

I'v just grabbed it from the store so it must be up their now.

However I get a big list of error when I import the package into an empty project ?

for example

"The importer for asset Assets/Scripts/glass/GlassMark.cs (MonoImporter) did not generate a MD4 digest."

any info ??

4. defjr

defjr

Fantastic, I can't wait to dissect this project. :)

5. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Looks great, but the only reason I would ever switch from Unity's built-in networking to a solution like photon would be for increased security/to prevent cheating; what exactly was the reasoning behind making the project non-authoritative?

6. ExitBG

ExitBG

A good question. The demo shows how you can use photon out of the box without having to do any server changes - this approach seems to easier to start with for most developers. Once this architecture is in place it doesn't take too many changes to make the server authoritative. You don't have this option when relying on peer-to-peer.

7. zergmouse

zergmouse

I am getting an error on import saying the "ShaderFixor.exe has stopped working" ... have pro version and it is fully updated. Dont know what this is all about but it messes up the entire thing and I cant use it :(

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

ShaderFixor is part of unity and used along the shader compilation. when it crashes that for me so far normally meant that the security messed in.

9. trekker

trekker

I have registered iOS standard Unity... after upgrading today and trying to include the multiplayer demo I get the same result as Zergcow, "ShaderFixor.exe has stopped working".
    -trek

10. ExitBG

ExitBG

something got messed up.. the download is somehow 30MB smaller than the upload.
    I'm currently uploading again (version 1.1) - hope it works this time

EDIT: quick update - still not working, unity is looking into it

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  11. trekker

trekker

Thanks ExitBG for the update.

12. madproducer2k

madproducer2k

13. thetnswe

thetnswe

Can't download and looks like the server is down..

Not Found

The requested URL /content/exit-games/bootcamp-multiplayer-demo/1As was not found on this server.
    Apache Server at u3d.as Port 80

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

likely taken down temporally until the problem with the incorrect / broken package is fixed I would guess

15. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Would prefer to see Photon code that makes use of an authoritative server.

16. zergmouse

zergmouse

yea that and some comments in the code or a tutorial would be nice. I have been trying to get Photon working for months now. I just cant seem to get it. If they would have had some more user friendly tutorails or something to get me going they would have had my money months ago because I will buy it once i figure out how to get it working. I am sure alot of us would, they really should look into getting more tutorials out there. Yea I know you got like a single tutorial on how to setup the server and a single tutorial on how to start your own project. I bet if you had a few tutorials on how to set things up in Unity you would sell like wildfire.

You have what we all want it is just that the learning curve is stupid compared to your competition who all have tutorials and documentation to lower the curve...

17. ExitBG

ExitBG

unfortunately it's still not online - it's been approved though.

18. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

That is a seriously awesome demo - taking bootcamp to a fantastic new level :)

19. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

is rtt 180-190ms OK? ;-)

20. ExitBG

ExitBG

the server is hosted in st. louis, I get about 90ms rtt in oregon

21. tobiass

tobiass

zergcow: we worked on our tutorials. did you check out our developer network recently?
    The Realtime Demo got a makeover (I hope this helps) and we added the Lite Lobby Chat Demo.

We added a "Learning Trail" through the demos and a Hello World tutorial. Part 3 is in development and will reach out to server side programming. It explains how to implement changes in the Operations that our Lite logic offers.

22. zergmouse

zergmouse

Not bad and it is defiantly improving. You still only have a few sentences describing a hundred lines of code. I am just trying to help you guys out with lowering that learning curve here. I think it would be really nice to have some commented code or some vide tutorials on this stuff. Now you don’t have to type it all on screen as you go like they do at 3D buzz (although that is probably the best way) but it would at least be beneficial to hear the descriptions of the code and the theory behind it or even a few pointers.

Eventually 3D buzz will have some videos for all of that in their MMO class which I look forward to because I could finally get some useable Photon code and actually understand it. But I just thought I would let you guys know that most of the feedback I have gotten when searching for a good server to base my games on has been that Photon is great but lacks documentation and has a high learning curve. That is what you all seem to be known for. Everyone I have asked has had that same response.

Overall I am happy to see Photon becoming more user friendly and adding more and more to their tutorials and documentation. I can’t wait to see how far you push that that documentation and how much you add.

23. minevr

minevr

Not Found

The requested URL /content/exit-games/bootcamp-multiplayer-demo/1As was not found on this server.

Apache Server at u3d.as Port 80

fixed it,pls~~

24. Esila

Esila

cant download. ???

25. ExitBG

ExitBG

I edited the initial post to avoid further confusion - still waiting for unity to get it online. They put it online for a while, but then it became clear that the download was not working as intended while the upload was fine. Last I heard is that they are working on it....

26. ExitBG

ExitBG

Since this takes so long I uploaded the package to another server, download it here
    EDIT: server is now closed

27. caitlyn

caitlyn

Sorry all-- it's back up in the Asset Store! Come and get this _amazing_ demo here:

http://u3d.as/1AA

28. ExitBG

ExitBG

for now please continue to use the ftp linked above, the asset store download is still broken

29. Esila

Esila

I have download it from asset store, but so many bug, my unity version is 3.3.0f4.

30. ExitBG

ExitBG

again, please download from the ftp until unity resolves the issue
    EDIT: ftp closed

31. Quietus2

Quietus2

I watched both the new videos and was quite happy there was some more Photon meat to chew on.

The presentation needs to be worked on however. A huge chunk of screen real estate was taken up by the project explorer on the right, while the presenter was flying through the process as quickly as he could without taking much time to explain what he was doing. Combined, it made it quite difficult to follow along.

It ended up giving me the impression of a coding version of a speed-sculpting video, rather than a true tutorial.

If you want a good reference for coding tutorials, check out BurgZergArcade's hack and slash tutorial or FearedFutureGame's IO development diary. Both can be found in the teaching sub-forum.

32. ExitBG

ExitBG

33. minevr

minevr

Thank you very much.

Good asset!

34. Esila

Esila

try again~~

35. tobiass

tobiass

Sorry for being off-topic, but...

Quietus: Yes, the videos are really hurried. This is mostly the lack of "making video tutorials" experience on our side. While the code is available on the webside, I missed more background info in the video, too.

zergcow: When you ask for more comments in code, I assume you are looking at the MMO Demos. These definitely need an overhaul, I agree. I hope that the Realtime Demo and Chat Demo are better now.

36. Esila

Esila

OK, tihs pack from ftp link is work. :)

37. homeros

homeros

I still have some trouble using the package. When I try to import it after opening an empty project, it wait for a few minutes then everything in my pc goes wild. Random program windows opens, background processes all open a visible window for themselves and I couldn't fix it. After that I tried importing the package when starting a new project but ShaderFixor.exe has thrown a few errors. I fixed them by copying shader files from the normal bootcamp demo after import but now I'm getting other errors on missing classes etc... Is it possible to provide a zipped/rard version of the project file for download? It would be much more easier for me.

edit: I've added package from your ftp to default packages and started the project with it. It seems to work now.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  38. emenezes3

emenezes3

There is a right sequence so that the process of adding the package to work properly

1) copy the folder from the bootcamp folder unity projects (documents).
    2) open the Unity and the project bootcamp
    3) Import the package
    4) to perform the import also unzips the file server Photon. Exit Unity because the attempt to unpack these files is that this will cause errors since the Unity tries to build files from the server Photon
    5) remove the Photon server files folder asset. Paste the files one folder above the folder that is parallel asset. Unzip the files.
    6) Reopen the Unity. Open the scene and run the Unity BootCampLiteLobby

39. ExitBG

ExitBG

This works with the package from the asset store? good to know.
    It's a bit easier with the download from the ftp (which is not broken):
    1) create empty unity project
    2) import package
    3) install photon (see readme.txt)
    4) open and run scene BootCampLiteLobby

40. Scoppio

Scoppio

Hi ExitBG

I know its a little bit out of place (we are talking about the bootcamp demo here) but I've been having problems with the IslandDemo, most specifically with the inputs related to the radar update. Also, should I see the connected bots or no?

debug log:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at Radar.OnGUI () [0x00015] in E:\Users\User\Documents\Unity Projects\IslandDemo\Assets\Photon\Radar.cs:90
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    Radar:OnGUI() (at Assets/Photon/Radar.cs:144)
    MmoEngine:OnGUI() (at Assets/Photon/MmoEngine.cs:75)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at Player.Update () [0x00026] in E:\Users\User\Documents\Unity Projects\IslandDemo\Assets\Photon\Player.cs:120
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    Player:Update() (at Assets/Photon/Player.cs:127)

Thank you

41. ExitBG

ExitBG

true :) forum.exitgames.com is a better place.

yes

so "this.world" is probably null.
    I don't know how you got there though..
    it would only enter this line if it already knows about items, and that can only happen after Operation.RadarSubscribe - which happens in MmoEngine.OnWorldEntered after this.world is set.

here it's probably the ViewDistanceEnter array that is null.
    again, don't know how you got it because it's initialized even twice once at connect and once at world entered - and the player instance is not created before this happens.

42. Scoppio

Scoppio

Thanks for your answers ExitBG, I'll move the discussion to the exitforums.

Maybe its because how I set up the scenary.

43. ExitBG

ExitBG

Good news! The asset server download is finally working.

Someone wrote a review saying the import screwed up his bootcamp demo since he doesn't own unity pro.
    To get started import into an empty project, NOT into the bootcamp demo.
    I'm also not sure if he imported the broken download.

EDIT: It does work with unity free as well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  44. minevr

minevr

If netservice is error. or other "what" issue..

On register window.

Thanks for ExitBG.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  45. ExitBG

ExitBG

I've seen that, too.
    As far as I know it happens when the GUI content is changed in 2 GUI passes differently..
    It shouldn't crash the demo though..

46. ExitBG

ExitBG

I just noticed that after importing the project the soldier walks ON water, not through!
    This can be fixed by replacing the DynamicsManager.asset file with the one from the original bootcamp demo.
    I attached it in case you don't have the boot camp demo installed.

Attached Files:

47. danreid70

danreid70

Every time I try to download the package from the Asset Store, it says "Building 33%" and then just hangs. Never downloads. Is something still messed up with the server? Or corrupted?

48. tobiass

tobiass

It should be working seamless by now. We tested it successfully. This is in Unity's hands now.
    Maybe you can locate where Unity puts the temporary files and remove them?

49. atmuc

atmuc

i have the same problem with danreid70. does anyone have solution?

50. craigerz

craigerz

Hangs at 33%. Hello Unity fix your asset server please.

***EDIT***

Okay, left it at 33%, returned 2 hours later and it was complete. I guess just let it hang on that page long enough and you'll get it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011