Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Location
    Vancouver, BC

Poser / Daz Content Native Import

One of the biggest struggles I have with Unity is getting 3D content that I have either created or purchased for Poser / Daz Studio into Unity. Most Poser users have huge content libraries of fully rigged characters, props, clothing, sets, lights, materials, animations, etc. Part of the reason for this is that the majority of the content available for Poser / Daz Studio is relatively inexpensive compared to other 3D sites. Poser characters come in high res and low res versions (low poly) which would be suitable for Unity. Another big plus is the built-in walk designer that comes with Poser. If you've ever attempted rigging a character in Maya and then animating a walk cycle you know what a huge time saver this is. My current work around goes like this:

Step 1) I create my custom character, prop or scene in Poser.
    Step 2) I import the Poser file inside Daz Studio (Daz Studio fully supports Poser Import)
    Step 3) Using a $99 FBX export plug-in for Daz Studio I export to FBX
    Step 4) Now if I used Poser's walk designer for the walk cycle or imported BVH motion capture files inside Poser then I can just open directly inside Unity otherwise I proceed to Step 5.
    Step 5) Open FBX file in MotionBuilder and animate or apply motion capture data then save again in FBX.
    Step 6) Either open in Maya or Unity.

Sometimes this doesn't work as expected... some textures get lost usually the eyelashes transparency gets screwed up or something.
    Also, if I try opening that new FBX file inside Maya (directly after exporting from Daz Studio)... Maya doesn't like it and spits it out so I found a work around for that... I open it up in MotionBuilder first and then save it again as an FBX...maybe MotionBuilder's FBX save adds some additional required info to the file or something? Regardless, once I save the file as an FBX from MotionBuilder then Maya opens it without a hick up just fine. Now I use the newly saved Maya file that contains my original Poser file and then use that to import into Unity. What an adventure! It would be nice to just open the Poser file directly into Unity as is done with Vue 6 Infinite quite nicely.

One other note: Poser Pro is set for release sometime this winter and it is supposed to have:

Better Integration with Professional Environments
    Realize the added benefit of quickly animating with Poser’s pre-rigged characters inside of host application such as Autodesk’s 3ds Max and Maya, and Maxon’s CINEMA 4D. Play back Poser scenes in other powerful 3D applications for increased productivity and access to pre built, modifiable content.

Maximum Flexibility with Poser Content
    The industry-standard COLLADA data exchange format combined with content designed and built specifically for Poser Pro and N-sided's "QUIDAM for Poser", greatly enhance the versatility of the already 30,000 plus 3D models available through Contentparadise.com.

-----------------------------

Being able to import Poser scenes into Maya via a dedicated Plug-In will be great, but whether or not that translates over to Unity is unknown.

2. Location
    Capitol City New Zealand
    There has been some talk in the past that Daz and poser content is not allowed to be used in a geometry sense. I had a look at the license but couldnt identify exactly what the restriction was, if any, but generally we all avoid using it, even though you can very easily export from these apps.

They want people to use their software for rendering stills and video, but not game design apparently.

Who here can pinpoint the bit in the license that prevents the use of exported geometry?
    AC

3. Location
    32.71° N, 117.15° W
    I haven't studied this, but attached is a copy of the Daz EULA.

Another alternative is "MakeHuman" which may be worth investigating depending one what you want to do.
    Attached Files

4. Location
    USA
    I'm not a lawyer, but to me it is clear from the "Other Restrictions" section of their license agreements (both the applications EULA, and the different EULA for 3D models you can purchase) that you are not allowed to share, sell, or sub-license any derivative work made with the 3D Models, except for rendered images or pre-rendered animations.

That section pretty much eliminates any reason to use their programs or the tons of models with game making. You get what you pay for.

Ricko

5. Location
    Capitol City New Zealand
    So I wonder why on earth they enable things to be exported? When its a license breach to import them into anything else?

Oh maybe Im just missing the point. I have found DAZ to be quite good at answering tech questions recently so I might hit them up.

Big K, yes Makehuman is cool. A really good way to learn how to model via example I reckon.
    AC

6. Location
    USA
    Its not a license problem to export them for "personal" use. It is a violation to use them commercially or share them in any form other than pictures.

7. Location
    32.71° N, 117.15° W
    So I wonder why on earth they enable things to be exported? When its a license breach to import them into anything else?
    My guess would be so you can render stills or animations in other apps other than those by Daz.

8. Location
    Vancouver, BC
    This was taken directly off of Poser's website:

"Poser can be used with professional applications for content production, pre-visualization, gaming and movie production. See what Smith Micro and third party developers have created so Poser content can be utilized in the production workflow".

They wouldn't make this statement if you can't use the content legally. Now as for Daz Studio Content the following statement was copied directly from their website:

Collada Exporter
    Using all your favorite 3D content just got even easier! This new file exporter for DAZ Studio allows you to export your entire 3D scene to the new COLLADA interchange technology file format. COLLADA technology is quickly being adopted by more and more major 3D companies and is poised to be become one of the most widely supported and most robust file formats in the world. Take Victoria 4.1 into Maya, Softimage, 3D Studio MAX, or almost any other popular 3D package, with complete mesh, skinning, rigging, lighting, camera, and animation data, which is then immediately editable. This file exporter will bring a whole new realm of possibilities to your existing DAZ 3D content.

----
    Once again, I don't think they would be making this possible if you can't legally do anything with the content. I will send them an email to get an official word from them.

9. Location
    Vancouver, BC
    The following was extracted from Daz's EULA:

You may (i) access, use, copy and modify the 3-D Models stored on such computers at such single location in the creation and presentation of animations and renderings which may require runtime access to the 3-D Model(s), and (ii) incorporate two dimensional images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects) derived from the 3-D Model(s) in other works and publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense such combined works; provided that you may not in any case: (a) separately publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any 3-D Model(s) or any part thereof; or (b) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense renderings, animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any original 3-D Model(s), or any part thereof, or any substantially similar version of the original 3-D Model(s) can be separately exported, extracted, or de-compiled into any re-distributable form or format. Subject to the foregoing limitations, and the rights, if any, of third parties in or to the objects represented by the 3-D Model(s), you may copy, distribute, and/or sell your animations and renderings derived from the 3-D Model(s). All other rights with respect to the 3-D Model(s) and their use are reserved to DAZ (and its licensors).

--------

Basically all this is saying is that you can use the 3D models in something you sell commercially (like a game that may require runtime access) as long as the form in which you sell your product the 3D models cannot be exported or extracted in anyway to prevent others from redistributing the content.

I now believe that it's pretty safe to say that you can use the content in your games as long as people can't extract the models from the game which they shouldn't be able to from the way that Unity compiles it's games. But just to be safe I'm still going to contact them directly about it because I have invested a lot of money over the years in their content.

10. Location
    Vancouver, BC
    I just sent email questions to the legal departments of both E-Frontier and Daz3D and specifically asked them about the use of their 3D models in video games. Lets see what they say. As soon as I hear back I'll update this post.

11. Location
    USA
    @Joeyjr: You should put ", Esq." after your name.

I hope that digging pays off because that is a lot of fairly high quality but affordable content.

Ricko

12. Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Your not the first person to tell me that. :P
    I wish I could. I'd probably get paid a lot better!

I just finished testing the new Daz release with the updated FBX export plug-in and it works fine with Unity now... all textures intact!! I tested importing the OM Hanger from Daz website and some spaceship model and both imported with all textures except for the glass on the spaceship but that was an easy fix because the material came through so I just used a blue color at 50% transparency.

The only problem is that after I imported the Daz models, Unity's performance has taken a huge hit. It's now too slow to play the game??

I couldn't get the Collada export from Daz to work in Unity though. The files showed up in Unity, but when I dragged the model into the scene view I would get transform handles, but no sign of the model anywhere?? Very strange. It would even show up in the hierarchy window, but I couldn't locate it in the scene view?

13. Location
    USA
    The only problem is that after I imported the Daz models, Unity's performance has taken a huge hit. It's now too slow to play the game??
    What is the polygon count on the models?

I couldn't get the Collada export from Daz to work in Unity though. The files showed up in Unity, but when I dragged the model into the scene view I would get transform handles, but no sign of the model anywhere?? Very strange. It would even show up in the hierarchy window, but I couldn't locate it in the scene view?
    Sounds like import scale. FBX often comes in at 0.01 instead of 1.0. Try right clicking on the imported model in the project view then select Import Settings... change Mesh Scale Factor (bigger) and click Import button.

Ricko

14. Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Once I removed the mesh colliders from the animated spaceships (Daz Banshee) I got performance back.

15. Location
    Vancouver, BC
    How do you find the poly count on the models? Does Unity tell me this?

16. Location
    USA
    I get detailed information from the modeling program. In my company's case all modeling and animation is done in Softimage XSI.

In unity I suppose you could create a scene with just your imported object and turn on stats to see the triangle and vertex counts.

One of the Unite 2007 videos posted on the resource page gives good targets for poly/vertex count for game objects.

17. Location
    USA
    Here is another tool that may be useful for you, from another thread. It is an editor script for Unity called MeshInfo:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.p...light=meshinfo

Ricko

18. Location
    USA
    I emailed DAZ 3D for clarification since their website and license agreements are ambiguous or at least have conflicting statements.

I asked "Can I use the purchased models in a game engine?"

First Daz response:
    "You can use our products in a rendered animation or a rendered image but you can’t use it for anything else."

I emailed again and asked, "I’m assuming based on the wording of the license agreement that includes run-time rendered animations. Please clarify if that is not correct."

Second Daz response:
    "As long as it is rendered out and not a real-time animation it will be fine. Basically it needs to be impossible for someone to take our models or textures out of your game."

I emailed again and asked, "If the models are encrypted and not accessible/exportable in any way, is it possible to use them in real-time rendering engine? If not, do you have another license that can be purchase for real-time animation or a game engine use?"

Third Daz response:
    "You cannot use them for any real-time at all according to the licensing agreement There is not a license that you can purchase that will allow you to do so."

Sadly, I think that closes the book on this topic.

Ricko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast